• Feb 1st, 2012 6:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1926 posts
87 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: You did not sell your 20year old car "as is"

You may think you did but really you didn't. You changed the verbal contract of your sale the second you opened your mouth and said "I might have to look for it"
To put it into a higher perspective, he could have said there's a slight rattle with the muffler do you have the bushing for it or he could have said one wheel cover is missing or said the oil cap is gone and the oil dipstick is missing... the minute you indicate any "slight option that you can supply it" you've changed the terms of sale.
Sure its a 20yr old car and the key is more than likely under 10bucks but that 'only' 10bucks to us may be more like 2 days of eating for him. Afterall, that guy is buying a 20yr old car. And he is busting your chops for that spare key! figure it out... the guy has no money.
Next time you sell your car but have someone else hand over the keys and collect the money. Your mouth will probably get you in trouble again

The bill of sale that I created specifically stated "as-is". I would think a written contract stands in court any day over a verbal contract. I doubt it will get me trouble, just seems you are trying to play the devils advocate and play from the other side of the fence. This is why written contracts exists, so verbal contracts can be excluded.

And I already offered to pay him for the spare key, he didn't reply so it seems he was probably trying to be bossy over nothing.
Nov 16, 2009
197 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa
ur_funneh wrote: The bill of sale that I created specifically stated "as-is". I would think a written contract stands in court any day over a verbal contract. I doubt it will get me trouble, just seems you are trying to play the devils advocate and play from the other side of the fence. This is why written contracts exists, so verbal contracts can be excluded.

And I already offered to pay him for the spare key, he didn't reply so it seems he was probably trying to be bossy over nothing.

Could be that he didn't know he could get a replacement cut for cheap and once he found out he dropped it. Maybe he thought all keys had to come from the dealership or something?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Spare key is not part your deal. Just tell him you don't have it and car was sold AS-IS.

He can make a copy for $5 bucks at Canadian tire.

this
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
This discussion is getting out of hand.

The OP knows that it is not a big deal, but some others are trying to make it one.

We don't know anything about the buyer, his financial situation, his automotive knowledge, or his expectations with this transaction.

He probably picked up on the possibility that the OP could locate the 2nd. key and would have preferred to have it instead of getting one cut.

A Honda key would look better than a $3 generic one, and would be guaranteed to work right off the bat.

He could even be planning to do a complete restoration and the original key would be important.

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a used car without the full set of keys, however old it was, but to each their own.

Offering the buyer $5 or $10 to cover the cost and inconvenience of getting a generic key cut should be the end of it, as already agreed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
thrifthunter wrote: lol yeah right, good luck on making a court case based on "he said, she said".
To get a real guarantee that will hold up in court when buying private, you're gonna need to put it on paper!
Who's talking about court action?? No on but you. For a item that's less than $10 bucks?

Go buy an as-is car from a car dealer. If you ask for the owners manual because there isn't one in the glove box and the salesman waivers and shows any indication he can supply it by stating 'he'll have to look for it' YOU will be the first crybaby on here posting how a dealer said they would get for you and they are now skating and ignoring your calls etc etc.

ur_funneh wrote: The bill of sale that I created specifically stated "as-is". I would think a written contract stands in court any day over a verbal contract. I doubt it will get me trouble, just seems you are trying to play the devils advocate and play from the other side of the fence. This is why written contracts exists, so verbal contracts can be excluded.

You created a bill-of-sale for a 20yr old car?? LOL.. I highly doubt it. You most likely just handed over the UVIP and took the guys money. The UVIP doesn't even have a dollar value listed for your 20yr old car because its too old.
The only thing that has as-is on it is most likely only the newspaper ad you used. I doubt you would even pay for a $50-60 newspaper ad for a 20yr old car. If you did make up some bill-of-sale for a 20yr old car then you will be the first I've ever seen do such ever!
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1926 posts
87 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote: Who's talking about court action?? No on but you. For a item that's less than $10 bucks?

Go buy an as-is car from a car dealer. If you ask for the owners manual because there isn't one in the glove box and the salesman waivers and shows any indication he can supply it by stating 'he'll have to look for it' YOU will be the first crybaby on here posting how a dealer said they would get for you and they are now skating and ignoring your calls etc etc.

You created a bill-of-sale for a 20yr old car?? LOL.. I highly doubt it. You most likely just handed over the UVIP and took the guys money. The UVIP doesn't even have a dollar value listed for your 20yr old car because its too old.
The only thing that has as-is on it is most likely only the newspaper ad you used. I doubt you would even pay for a $50-60 newspaper ad for a 20yr old car. If you did make up some bill-of-sale for a 20yr old car then you will be the first I've ever seen do such ever!

In my many years of owning used cars I've acted as the buyer and the seller, and I've always had a bill of sale. In the ministry they ask you to have some type of written receipt indicating how much I sold the car for (bill of sale) is what they call it also. So I stated that I sold <buyers name> a 1992 honda accord for $X dollars, and I am selling it as-is. He brings that to the ministry because they ask for one. Maybe in where you live it's different but here thats the way it works.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
mikeymike1 wrote: Who's talking about court action?? No on but you. For a item that's less than $10 bucks?

You are the one who was blabbering BS about how because he said he will look for the key the car was no longer being sold as-is and how in the future op's mouth will get him in trouble. I was not specifically talking about this case, but scenario's such as this in which things were talked about verbally in a private sale. Unless the buyer gets it in writing, it becomes a he said she said type case and good luck getting anything enforced! A private sale is an as-is sale unless there is writing stating otherwise.

So you are dead wrong, as usual!
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
119 upvotes
I had the EXACT same problem happen to me when I sold my first car 7 years ago. I told the sell I thought I had a third key, but I wasn't sure. I also told him that if I found it that I would call him. He called me multiples times even though I told him I couldn't find it. I told him the replacement cost was under $10 and that I would gladly give him $10 for him to never call me again...he came and got the $10. Hahaha
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
thrifthunter wrote: You are the one who was blabbering BS about how because he said he will look for the key the car was no longer being sold as-is and how in the future op's mouth will get him in trouble.
That's because you know absolutely nothing...zilch about business.
thrifthunter wrote: I was not specifically talking about this case, but scenario's such as this in which things were talked about verbally in a private sale. Unless the buyer gets it in writing, it becomes a he said she said type case and good luck getting anything enforced! A private sale is an as-is sale unless there is writing stating otherwise.
Who cares about scenarios? There you go again with the he-said she-said as if this issue has been elevated to court action.
This is a transaction between two individuals where the seller left the door wide open by 'suggesting' a possible solution to the buyers required need and by doing so the OP created call-backs from the buyer. Because of these call-backs, the sale no longer became an as-is sale as the buyer presumes (based on the sellers weak stance) something is forthcoming - named the spare key.
I'll say it again, nothing is as-is if your mouth is still running. You know absolutely nothing about business so I don't expect you to understand.
My example of this same situation occurring at the dealership point is factual. You just fail to acknowledge it because you're not smart enough.

tsxnation wrote: I had the EXACT same problem happen to me when I sold my first car 7 years ago. I told the sell I thought I had a third key, but I wasn't sure. I also told him that if I found it that I would call him. He called me multiples times even though I told him I couldn't find it. I told him the replacement cost was under $10 and that I would gladly give him $10 for him to never call me again...he came and got the $10. Hahaha
People with business degrees know that a sale ends when a buyer agrees to the purchase. When this moment in time happens, stop selling. None of that I can do this and I can do that or I'll find this or that for you.
Especially with an as-is sale there's absolutely nothing to sell. Opening your mouth with any hints of supplying items/documents only invites issues as you have experienced and what the OP is going through.
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
119 upvotes
I was 19 at the time. Thanks for the info though. There was no way my education could afford me the knowledge you have just bestowed upon me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
ur_funneh wrote: Sold my 1992 honda Accord, sold it as-is and he asked me if I had the spare key and I told him I might have to look for it. Well anyways I definately cannot find it now and he is harassing me about wanting the key so badly. Not sure what to do at this point am I at fault and need to fork out X amount of $ for a spare key from a car thats 20 years old? Is this a law to have the spare key?

Would like some feedback as to what I should do, thanks.

P.S. turns out I actually dont have the key at all I relocated like 3 times in the past year and I know its missing now.

The car worth less money without the spare key?
Is he entitles to a full refund because of this?
Can he take me to court?

Tell him to take a hike!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
sold as-is = there are problems with the car and they have been disclosed to the buyer as they will not be fixed.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
who here has sold a used car without at least writing something on paper to state the condition (as-is) the year and make and the price ? if you never have then you are playing with fire....

one problem you will have is that the new owner will have a huge problem transferring it into their name without proof they did in fact purchase the car. second, i would never just take the ownership hand over my cash then leave... who's to say that person couldn't call the police and say you took it for a test drive and never returned. you would be out a car PLUS your money as you had no proof you paid said seller.

when going into an "as-is" sale i never expect a second key and even if the owner states they "possibly" have it somewhere but can't produce it at the time the deal is completed then i'm not going to make a production about it. the most important thing is that you have the car itself and a proper bill of sale so that you can drive it once you've done the steps to put it on the road legally.

to me AS-IS means you are taking said vehicle in the condition you are seeing it in on the spot. you can't expect more than that and would be foolish to think that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)