Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3865 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto

Sold my car: Have questions

Hi, I have an interested buyer looking to buy my car. He says he wants to drive it home today, and I told him that it was not possible because Service Ontario closes at 5pm and there would be no way to transfer the ownership to him today. He tells me he has a dealership plate and the insurance is covered under his policy, not mine.

I am a bit worried to let him drive off with it when the car is still under my name, and I thought that the dealer plate can only be put on any car that is owned by the dealer? Should I hold off or am I worried over nothing?
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5761 posts
1436 upvotes
BC
Tell him that if he gives you a $100 deposit you will delete the ad. and will drive the car to him when the Service Ontario office is next open.

(I agree that it does sound like a slight abuse of a dealer plate.)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10162 posts
2472 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't do it, you are still reliable to anything happened with the car until the ownership is changed.
Meet him next day at MTO office, do the ownership transfer, then give him the keys of the car.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1182 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Wait until you transfer ownership before you give him the keys.

There are Service Ontario locations that are open on Saturday morning though, not sure why he can't wait until then.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1205 posts
1134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Its his risk if he's driving the car without taking ownership.

Once you have the cash in hand, copy of bill of sale, and have taken the plate portion of the ownership and your plates off the vehicle, you should be safe.

For peace of mind you can go to service ontario the next day and report the vehicle as sold, so the sale is made note of and you won't be liable.

I did the exact same thing a few months ago when I sold my Lexus, the guy drove off with California dealer plates.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5337 posts
953 upvotes
is everyone here stupid?

you don't really ever transfer the car yourself at Service Ontario. You assume/hope the buyer does it.

Keep your plate part - sign the back of the ownership and send it off.

You as the seller do not go to Service Ontario.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1066 posts
470 upvotes
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml

All I give them is the signed vehicle portion and UVIP/bill of sale. It's up to them to go register the car within 6 days. That's how I've sold my vehicles.

I mean obviously use your discretion, if you think the buyer is going to have a problem, talk to them about it and follow up with them and Service Ontario to make sure everything went smoothly.

Dealer plates are probably better than no plates. I had a buyer just take off with no plates, no sure how far he was going but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. If I remember correctly, there is an exemption where you can use plates from a currently insured car in your name to move the car, but it may require a safety certificate as well. Not 100% on that one.

Why doesn't he pay in full, go do insurance and registration paper work and come back with a temp. sticker and plate? Or you just drop off the car for him and get a ride home.
Jun 8, 2007
957 posts
204 upvotes
Mississauga
milolai wrote:
Aug 20th, 2016 10:53 pm
is everyone here stupid?

you don't really ever transfer the car yourself at Service Ontario. You assume/hope the buyer does it.

Yep. Do the paperwork on the ownership to give to him to transfer ownership. Take your plates off the car. Get a signed and dated bill of sale for the both of you. If he then drives the car into the building, drives without plates on, does whatever, it's not your car. If anything happens, you have sold it and you have proof that you sold it. Just make sure you take your plates off of it - the plates are registered to you.

If they put dealer plates on the car and they get pulled over, that's their problem and not yours. If cops come asking you, you show the signed papers you have and that it's not your car and you have no part of any of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1801 posts
449 upvotes
Hometown
That situation is definitely abuse of a dealer plate but NOT the seller's problem in Ontario as noted if you have the signed dated seller's portion of the permit you no longer own the car.... It is up to the buyer to change the ownership.

If you are the buyer you MAY use your current plates and still valid insurance policy from your old car to drive a newly purchased vehicle. Provided you have the new owners signed and dated permit portion, a proper bill of sale, signed UVIP, a valid safety certificate and a valid etest certificate. You must notify your insurance company within 14 days of the different car and change the ownership within 6 days. Also technically you cannot flip the plates back and forth between your new and old vehicle. It is assumed you have gotten rid of your old car when you do this.

I did this in June 2015 and had no issues, it was my broker that told me about NOT having to notify the insurance company, as he knew I was looking to change vehicles. I had not decided which vehicle I was going to get, but would decide sometime over the weekend... He said just call me next week once you have the vehicle as I would be covered for up to 14 days. I was surprised because usually insurance companies in Ontario screw you over anyway they can LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2308 posts
792 upvotes
Calgary
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 5:42 pm
I wouldn't do it, you are still reliable to anything happened with the car until the ownership is changed.
Meet him next day at MTO office, do the ownership transfer, then give him the keys of the car.
Must be different in Ontario? Here in Alberta you just grab the cash, give the new owner part of the registration paper (you can do a bill of sale too if you want so both parties acknowledge and sign), take your plates off and you have nothing to do with the car anymore. If the new owner smashes it after that, that's not your problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
milolai wrote:
Aug 20th, 2016 10:53 pm
is everyone here stupid?

are you stupid?

https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... seman.html
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2375 posts
637 upvotes
Ebeniz wrote:
Aug 21st, 2016 5:57 am
are you stupid?

https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... seman.html
The Star article has good advice, but let's be clear here: You can only ask the buyer to put the car in his name, and hope he does it. Cannot force other people to do it. In case of suspicion, the seller has only one option: find another buyer.

1. As a buyer, you take the money or other form of payment.
  2. Keep a copy of bill of sale - it has to be dated. You can also put the time when the buyer picks up the car, buyer initials the time.
  3. Take the plate portion of the ownership and keep it! Same with insurance slip, do not leave it in the car
  4. Take your plates off the vehicle
  5. For peace of mind, as The Star indicates, you can go to service ontario the next day to request a “report of sale” status placed against the vehicle (but there is no law or by-law or regulation that obligates the seller to do this, it is completely optional).

Everything else is the risk of the buyer - driving with no insurance, no registration, not a valid plate, improper use of plate, etc. etc. etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
motomondo wrote:
Aug 21st, 2016 8:51 am

The Star article has good advice, but let's be clear here: You can only ask the buyer to put the car in his name, and hope he does it. Cannot force other people to do it. In case of suspicion, the seller has only one option: find another buyer.
That's not true. You want to buy my car? You have to put it in your name now..
You can transfer a car to someone else's name as "unplated"
Sep 4, 2007
884 posts
262 upvotes
Pretty sure if the guy crashes the car and then ditches it, the cops look up the VIN, see you still as owner they will come after you. A signed bill of sale ... may or may not hold up. I've heard people say both, but personally I don't think it has much value in court versus what's official in the MTO records.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3900 posts
794 upvotes
I never need to go to the Service Canada when selling my cars. Take the money. Signed the transfer paperwork and a copy of BOS. Remove my own plates. And MOST IMPORTANTLY tell my insurance company the day before that this car will no longer need to be insured. That's it.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8