Automotive

Sold my car: Have questions

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2016 7:37 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
14818 posts
4097 upvotes
London
motomondo wrote: ..
[*]For peace of mind, as The Star indicates, you can go to service ontario the next day to request a “report of sale” status placed against the vehicle (but there is no law or by-law or regulation that obligates the seller to do this, it is completely optional).
[/list]
..
I think you need to wait 6 days before service Ontario will flag the car as sold, so on the 7th day
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
Avatar wrote: I never need to go to the Service Canada when selling my cars. Take the money. Signed the transfer paperwork and a copy of BOS. Remove my own plates. And MOST IMPORTANTLY tell my insurance company the day before that this car will no longer need to be insured. That's it.
Continue doing that and one day you'll get a $1000 bill and then you'll come back here complaining about it.

The car is still yours and it's your responsibility to make sure the name on the ownerships is transfered.
Last edited by Ebeniz on Aug 21st, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
I don't know how more clear it can be

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml


Did you know?

The vehicle will remain registered in the seller’s name until the vehicle transfer has been completed at ServiceOntario. Caution, if the vehicle transfer has not been completed, you may be pursued legally as the vehicle owner in the event of an infraction involving the vehicle.

A seller should follow up with the buyer to ensure that the vehicle transfer is completed. A seller should retain proof of the vehicle transfer. For record purposes only, a seller may visit a ServiceOntario centre to notify the ministry that their vehicle has been “Sold”. However, this does not transfer the vehicle ownership.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1958 posts
602 upvotes
Hometown
Ebeniz wrote:
Avatar wrote: I never need to go to the Service Canada when selling my cars. Take the money. Signed the transfer paperwork and a copy of BOS. Remove my own plates. And MOST IMPORTANTLY tell my insurance company the day before that this car will no longer need to be insured. That's it.
Continue doing that and one day you'll get a $1000 bill and then you'll come back here complaining about it.

The car is still yours and it's your responsibility to make sure the name ownerships is transfered.
The last statement is absolutely false!!!! How can a seller transfer a car into someone else's name if they aren't ready to do so? Forge their signature at the MTO LOL.

Seen 100's of cars sold over the years from both sides, and the signed and dated permit slip WILL hold up in court. If it wouldn't buyers would not be ALLOWED 6 days to make the change. I realize some people are paranoid but common sense has to be used as well.

Your post about you being legally pursed contains a lot of wiggle room for the MTO's benefit. However case law is pretty consistent since we the taxpayer don't want to pay for 24/7 access to the MTO, there has to be common sense solutions. If the seller is truly legally responsible for the transfer then why does the BUYER have to PAY the fees at the ministry? If it were truly the other way around the seller would have to remit the fees for the changes and tax on used vehicles.
Last edited by Canuck2fan on Aug 21st, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2128 posts
330 upvotes
I sold a car that needed an ebrake cable for safety. The owner drove it back home 600km away. A year later, I got a letter in the mail saying I owed around $500 in impound and towing fees. It turns out that the guy never registered it and left it in his underground parking spot at his apartment building. The apartment management did a yearly sweep for derelict cars and it ended up being towed. I called the number of the officer on the towing bill and told him I'd sold the car and had never even been to his city before. He asked if I had the paper work and I replied that I'd gotten rid of it as I had just moved to this new place a couple of months earlier. He told me that I could come and pay the fine and keep the car or he'd just tell the company to crush it. I told him to crush it and that was the last I heard of it. This was about 10-12 years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1958 posts
602 upvotes
Hometown
Chookman wrote: I sold a car that needed an ebrake cable for safety. The owner drove it back home 600km away. A year later, I got a letter in the mail saying I owed around $500 in impound and towing fees. It turns out that the guy never registered it and left it in his underground parking spot at his apartment building. The apartment management did a yearly sweep for derelict cars and it ended up being towed. I called the number of the officer on the towing bill and told him I'd sold the car and had never even been to his city before. He asked if I had the paper work and I replied that I'd gotten rid of it as I had just moved to this new place a couple of months earlier. He told me that I could come and pay the fine and keep the car or he'd just tell the company to crush it. I told him to crush it and that was the last I heard of it. This was about 10-12 years ago.
Seems like the paperwork if you still had it would have satisfied them.... Just like it is supposed to LOL
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2692 upvotes
ON
Ebeniz wrote: I don't know how more clear it can be

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml


Did you know?

The vehicle will remain registered in the seller’s name until the vehicle transfer has been completed at ServiceOntario. Caution, if the vehicle transfer has not been completed, you may be pursued legally as the vehicle owner in the event of an infraction involving the vehicle.

A seller should follow up with the buyer to ensure that the vehicle transfer is completed. A seller should retain proof of the vehicle transfer. For record purposes only, a seller may visit a ServiceOntario centre to notify the ministry that their vehicle has been “Sold”. However, this does not transfer the vehicle ownership.
Emphasis on may pursue legal action.
Additionally, your signed documents for purchase and sale are legally binding - assuming they are filled out correctly and you actually kept them.
Even if it came to legal action, you supply bill of sale, signed dated copies of the UVIP, green slip, other person's driver's license (you did get that, right?) showing that you have nothing to do with that vehicle after the date on those documents.

Now, if they do something on the date of transfer, things get a little tricky, unless you documented the exact time as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
Do what ever you want... Don't start crying when 5 years from now you get a knock at the door.

Did you even read the Toronto start article I posted?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3987 posts
927 upvotes
Ebeniz wrote:
Avatar wrote: I never need to go to the Service Canada when selling my cars. Take the money. Signed the transfer paperwork and a copy of BOS. Remove my own plates. And MOST IMPORTANTLY tell my insurance company the day before that this car will no longer need to be insured. That's it.
Continue doing that and one day you'll get a $1000 bill and then you'll come back here complaining about it.

The car is still yours and it's your responsibility to make sure the name on the ownerships is transfered.
Well. The thing is I TOOK AND TRANSFERRED my plates on to the new car all the time. That's enough to inform the Ministry the old car was scratched with a new VIN.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2454 posts
970 upvotes
Calgary
LyGuy wrote: Pretty sure if the guy crashes the car and then ditches it, the cops look up the VIN, see you still as owner they will come after you. A signed bill of sale ... may or may not hold up. I've heard people say both, but personally I don't think it has much value in court versus what's official in the MTO records.
Come after you for what exactly? You have the cash from the other guy, you took your plate, you cancelled your insurance. Nothing can now be done to you. The other guy is out of money and if he's crashed the car why would he ditch it? So he's out of car and money he just paid for it. Make little sense.

I've traded cars into dealer before and I'm pretty sure I never forced them to register the car before I left the dealer to make sure someone doesn't come after me later that day...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5675 posts
1831 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Ebeniz wrote:
milolai wrote: is everyone here stupid?

you don't really ever transfer the car yourself at Service Ontario. You assume/hope the buyer does it.

Keep your plate part - sign the back of the ownership and send it off.

You as the seller do not go to Service Ontario.
are you stupid?

https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... seman.html
Seems to me that the seller in that article should be able to simply state to the towing company holding the car, "ok keep the car".
But one should also always keep a copy of the bill of sale, and the mvi slip with the buyers signature. As for mvi don't know about other provinces but here on pei it can be done on line 24/7 with credit card and pdf documents after the transaction, think I saw a transfer of ownership option but could be wrong. Also insurance companies have after hours adjusters and brokers. Business hours are not really a necessity.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1958 posts
602 upvotes
Hometown
Ebeniz wrote: Do what ever you want... Don't start crying when 5 years from now you get a knock at the door.

Did you even read the Toronto start article I posted?
I almost stopped reading that article when it stated the car in question was a "Ford Caprice"..... Since there is NO SUCH vehicle the case in court would have been thrown out right there. LOL.

The article is still way too vague about whether Pettitt actually lost in a court? Anybody can submit a bill to collections in Ontario for anything. Just as anybody can stop the collection process cold by saying they intend to fight the charge legally. It is then up the person who submitted the bill to PROVE you owe it and then get a judgement in their favor.... It is too bad it didn't go to court as it might have provided some more case law on the issue....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5675 posts
1831 upvotes
Cornwall PE
registration permit issued for the vehicle;
(c) deliver the permit to the transferee or assignee; and
(d) notify the Registrar on the prescribed form of the name and
address of the transferee or assignee and of the date of the transfer or
assignment within seven days of the date thereof.

From the pei traffic act this excerpt stating that the original owner must notify the registrar of the transfer within 7 days as well. Should be sufficient for the seller's safety imo.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2007
967 posts
408 upvotes
aleks wrote:
LyGuy wrote: Pretty sure if the guy crashes the car and then ditches it, the cops look up the VIN, see you still as owner they will come after you. A signed bill of sale ... may or may not hold up. I've heard people say both, but personally I don't think it has much value in court versus what's official in the MTO records.
Come after you for what exactly? You have the cash from the other guy, you took your plate, you cancelled your insurance. Nothing can now be done to you. The other guy is out of money and if he's crashed the car why would he ditch it? So he's out of car and money he just paid for it. Make little sense.

I've traded cars into dealer before and I'm pretty sure I never forced them to register the car before I left the dealer to make sure someone doesn't come after me later that day...
Property damage, etc? If he crashed the car into someone's house and dipped, you think the police is just going to write a report and call it a day when they have all the info from the VIN?

Also, dealers are different from some random guy from kijiji. Also, you're right for the most part it's fine to just let the other guy transfer the ownership on his own time, though personally I'd rather not and have made sure the ownership was transferred before I handed off my 2 previous cars.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2128 posts
330 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote:
Seems like the paperwork if you still had it would have satisfied them.... Just like it is supposed to LOL
Yep. It seemed like it would have. The real question is how long should you keep it?

Top