Group Buys

SOLD OUT - BlackVue DR400G-HD Dash Cam Group Buy Direct from Manufacturer - $210

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2014 9:16 am
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1346 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 9:28 am
Hmmm...is that a fair way to look at it?
Even if you did have to pay $60 in total to get your replacement, you'd still be better off than someone who just bought from eBay and now has a $180 paper weight.
That's true. I was taking the perspective that if really only the heat is the issue, and it breaks down, Great, you get warranty repair for $60, but it's probably gonna happen again.

But yeah, it is better than a paper weight.

Argh, sometimes it's best not to overthink things I suppose, LOL.
Mar 17, 2004
458 posts
6 upvotes
Hey Pintobean. Feel free to use me as a guinea pig to testing out the Hyundai cam. I happen to drive a Hyundai Santa Fe in case the manufacturer would like Hyundai customers as testers. ;) :D
pintobean wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 3:46 pm
The prototype pics that I've been sent look similar to the R300D, but thinner and smaller. I'll see if I'm allowed to post a couple pics here...

My understanding is that dash cams are soon going to be made mandatory in Korea, so people are becoming less worried of them getting stolen. If every car has a dash cam, then it becomes a less lucrative items for thieves to steal; similar to car radios and GPS units which used to get stolen a lot, but not so much anymore now that nearly every car has them. I think this is why manufacturers are starting to reintroduce display screens and make them bigger.

Anyways, once the Hyundai cam is closer to completion, I will get some sample vids and if they look decent, I will bring in a few for testing out...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 11:47 am
:arrowu:
The authorized distributor for North America told me that the eBay sellers are going to be tracked down and shut down in the near future. It is quite easy to do this: they will simply buy a cam from each seller and use the serial number to figure out which authorized dealer purchased that cam and then shut them down. For sellers who are removing the serial number stickers from the cam, they can still track using the serial numbers that are printed on the GPS chip.

The distributor also said that eBay sellers do not offer warranty coverage and only have Korean versions available for sale.
Define "shut down"? What's stopping the ebay sellers from opening a new ebay account and start to sell again?

It doesn't matter if it's a English or Korean version of the camera.

I bought my camera and it was all Korean. It was fairly easy to find the English manual and software on the internet. There's no English/Korean firmware for the unit.

$60 for 1 year of warranty... That's just like paying Futureshop or Bestbuy their extended warranty plan.
Did we think of the heat issues with the Blackvue when we purchased it? No. LOL
It just so happened that we got a great deal on the Blackvues so we went ahead to purchase them from the manufacturer which came with warranty... that we had to claim during the summer LOL

I'm not sure about you, but I'm fine with saving that $60 for no warranty.
If I'm ultimately scared of heat issues, I will either unplug the camera under the sun, or take 1/2 of the camera apart to let the internals have some venting space.
I thought about doing it to my Blackvue, so the internals can vent.
The cam could fully be mounted in the mount even with 1/2 of the casing off.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Jun 19, 2009
731 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
If the authorized dealer is supplying the ebay dealers or is the ebay dealer themself, the manufacturer can cut them off by no longer providing to them once they identify who they are buy purchasing back their own product to check the serial numbers pintobean mentioned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3432 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 8:07 pm
Define "shut down"? What's stopping the ebay sellers from opening a new ebay account and start to sell again?
I'm not saying that the manufacturer would shut down their eBay accounts! They would simply stop giving cams to any reseller that was identified as selling on eBay. That's exactly what Pittasoft did to me when BBMC reported me and said I was selling cams at cost!

The idea is that eventually the eBay stores would no longer be able to get cams, and once they had exhausted their existing stock, they'd have to find a way to get more cams, or close up shop.

Anyways, it looks like nobody is interested in paying $218 for an Itronics with warranty when they can be had on eBay for $180 or less.

I guess I will just focus my attention on the Hyundai cam that should be available in February...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 1:11 am
I'm not saying that the manufacturer would shut down their eBay accounts! They would simply stop giving cams to any reseller that was identified as selling on eBay. That's exactly what Pittasoft did to me when BBMC reported me and said I was selling cams at cost!

The idea is that eventually the eBay stores would no longer be able to get cams, and once they had exhausted their existing stock, they'd have to find a way to get more cams, or close up shop.

Anyways, it looks like nobody is interested in paying $218 for an Itronics with warranty when they can be had on eBay for $180 or less.

I guess I will just focus my attention on the Hyundai cam that should be available in February...
Ah, I see what you mean. There's always another person who can buy the cams, and another address to ship the cameras too.
It's really really hard to stop these kind of shops from selling the cameras illegally like this.

Perhaps start a testing waters group buy. $218 is a okay deal, but shipping back to California is a hassle for warranty.

I think it's still because you're dealing with the authorized seller, instead of the company themselves. I bet you ebay sellers can do $180 or less if it's a huge group buy, and the manufacturer can do $180 too.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3432 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:58 am
I think it's still because you're dealing with the authorized seller, instead of the company themselves. I bet you ebay sellers can do $180 or less if it's a huge group buy, and the manufacturer can do $180 too.
Well I initially did contact the manufacturer, but they flipped my email to the exclusive North American distributor who is based in California. He probably gets the cams for $180 or less, and then sells them to people like me for $210.

We lucked out with BlackVue because there were no distributors in North America at the time I ran my GB, so I got the cams direct from the manufacturer for the same price they offered distributors. Unfortunately, that's not the same case with Itronics, so the middle man distributor wants his piece of the pie too.
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes
kay188 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 8:07 pm
$60 for 1 year of warranty...
$60 is over 1/3rd of the cost of the camera on ebay (170USD).
So that means that for the price of 3 cameras with warranty I can buy 3 cameras without warranty, plus 1 replacement, 4 in total. So if one of my 3 fails, I have instant replacement without having to worry about shipping it anywhere, waiting for it to be returned, worrying about shipping damages, worrying about getting hit by customs fees on return, etc. If none of these 3 fail within 1 year, I'm up already. That's counting on a 33% percent failure risk. Normally electronics have single-digit failure rates or less.
Not worth it I say.
Even with blackvues that we do know have problems, I'm curious to know, out of the total number of blackvues purchased in the groupbuy, what percentage failed?

In respect to ebay sellers getting shut down, I don't see how that could be relevant, we buy the product, we get it and it doesn't really matter to what happens on ebay after that. I think the North American distributor is trying to breed fear, and that's natural for them to protect their business but to us that's not relevant.
Ask me how to get free $28 credit on airbnb.com
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8967 posts
551 upvotes
methyl wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 4:53 pm
Are Ragu's colleagues roaming the streets near you?
Without going into too much detail, some a-hole tried to run me off the road... twice. I actually confronted the guy, but it turned out to be mistaken identity. He was trying to kill someone else with the same car! I reported it to the cops, but no damage, no witnesses, no evidence... the gist of what the cops told me was nothing is going to happen. They said they will investigate it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Had it been recorded, that guy would be in jail now.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3645 posts
217 upvotes
Scarborough
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:03 pm
Without going into too much detail, some a-hole tried to run me off the road... twice. I actually confronted the guy, but it turned out to be mistaken identity. He was trying to kill someone else with the same car! I reported it to the cops, but no damage, no witnesses, no evidence... the gist of what the cops told me was nothing is going to happen. They said they will investigate it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Had it been recorded, that guy would be in jail now.
Ohhh where's my popcorn??
I bet you someone with your car slept with his wife or something!
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes
Got my 3 Itronics cameras delivered, in under a week with EMS service. No taxes. The cost will be ~$142USD per camera after cashbacks.
Sweet. Thanks for the tips guys.

Pittasoft and BBMC: keep trying to sell your essentially same cameras but with overheating issues for double the price (blackvue 400) .
Oct 16, 2002
463 posts
181 upvotes
I got the ITB100HD from apple-ct store. Actually I don't understand the point of ITB200HD - it's more expensive, it's not full HD, it lacks the GPS sensor.

If you bought on December 5th, they had double the ebay bucks - 4%, 22x airmiles -about 11% cashback, and 5% paypal rebate, in total 20% in cashback rebates. Yeah, I wish I bought on the 5th. It would've been $136.

Too bad the airmiles 20x bonus has expired, but looks like today they introduced a new promo - 10x airmile points, plus 2x for ebay specifically. If you buy now you would get around 13% in rebates (6% airmiles, 5% paypal, 2% ebay). Still a great deal. Keep in mind that paypal rebate has a limit per transaction, read the details.
Sep 1, 2007
6 posts
toronto
methyl wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 11:00 am
Got my 3 Itronics cameras delivered, in under a week with EMS service. No taxes. The cost will be ~$142USD per camera after cashbacks.
Sweet. Thanks for the tips guys.
Just wanted to point out some stuff about apple-ct on ebay.

After I sent him the payment on ebay, he sent me an ebay response that the item was shipped and included an EMS tracking number.
A couple minutes after, he sent me a message :
Dear fatredcircle,

hi, thank you for buying our products.

* caution
the shipping method is standard shipping(air mail).
the air mail takes about 20~30 days(working day).

If you pay for $15, we will send your items via EMS shipping.
EMS shipping takes 4~7 days. and more safe.
Which Do you like?
(we would like to recommend EMS shipping. :) )

we are waiting your response.
But, If you don't reply within 2 days, we will send it via standard shipping.

thank you.
have a nice day. :)

- apple-ct
My response:
Dear apple-ct,

Hey,

I noticed that you sent me a tracking number already - EM########KR and it says it was shipped, and it's sitting in Incheon right now?

Does that mean it was shipped already, or is that incorrect?
How would we change the shipping method once it has already been dispatched - I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks,
Peter.

- fatredcircle
His response. At this point my tracking number showed:
10:20 30-Nov-2012 Departure from Airport INCHEON Flight number : CX417
Dear fatredcircle,

hi, thank you for your message.

* I noticed that you sent me a tracking number already - EM########KR and it says it was shipped, and it's sitting in Incheon right now? Does that mean it was shipped already, or is that incorrect?
=> yeap. but, we need addition fees($15), so, now, pending.

* How would we change the shipping method once it has already been dispatched - I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
=> yeap. sorry. we don't speak english very well. please, understand.
Do you want to change the shipping method?
If you pay $15, EMS shipping is possible.

we are waiting your response.
thank you.
have a nice day. :)

- apple-ct
In any case, I didn't pay for the "Faster EMS" shipping that he was trying to scam me for. He shipped the package on Nov 29 and I received it on Dec 4.

Buyer beware on the "faster" shipping option. Aside from that, everything else was as it should have been. Everything works fine and aside from that shipping kerfuffle, I'd probably order from him again.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
2058 posts
36 upvotes
How many units did u buy?
fatredcircle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 7:30 pm
Just wanted to point out some stuff about apple-ct on ebay.

After I sent him the payment on ebay, he sent me an ebay response that the item was shipped and included an EMS tracking number.
A couple minutes after, he sent me a message :

My response:

His response. At this point my tracking number showed:
10:20 30-Nov-2012 Departure from Airport INCHEON Flight number : CX417

In any case, I didn't pay for the "Faster EMS" shipping that he was trying to scam me for. He shipped the package on Nov 29 and I received it on Dec 4.

Buyer beware on the "faster" shipping option. Aside from that, everything else was as it should have been. Everything works fine and aside from that shipping kerfuffle, I'd probably order from him again.
× < >