None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2333 posts
899 upvotes
Edmonton

Soliciting Opinions on Buying a Damaged Musical Instrument

So here is the scenario. There is a family member interested in buying a musical instrument, it is a brass instrument. Let's say that the discount is about $500 on a $2,000 instrument. The damage is cosmetic but visibly dented, primarily on the underside so not in clear view when playing it.

Would you buy the instrument to save $500?
7 replies
Oct 17, 2015
389 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm a trombone player and my trombone is visually ugly. But it plays like a charm. Instruments are for the sound not how they look. Bbuy it
Apr 14, 2015
543 posts
150 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Depends where the dent is and how big it is. It could affect the sound. Usually they can be repaired though, maybe see if you can take it into a shop before you buy.

What is the instrument?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1518 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
starchoice wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 2:40 pm
So here is the scenario. There is a family member interested in buying a musical instrument, it is a brass instrument. Let's say that the discount is about $500 on a $2,000 instrument. The damage is cosmetic but visibly dented, primarily on the underside so not in clear view when playing it.

Would you buy the instrument to save $500?
If the damage is cosmetic however and has no impact at all on the output or playability of the instrument, then I don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of such a savings.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17357 posts
1657 upvotes
Space for rent
SartajA735 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 4:06 pm
I'm a trombone player and my trombone is visually ugly. But it plays like a charm. Instruments are for the sound not how they look. Bbuy it
DOesn't augmentation in the body alter the sound it produces? I know some older generation sax players like David Sunburn has some really old equipment but I'm sure he gets it important bits and pieces refurbished every so often.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2951 posts
350 upvotes
Ottawa
It depends on the details, I reckon. If said family member is just learning to play, I'd say go for it, and then if the instrument is still being played a few years from now, maybe trade up to a nicer one. (The instruments we had back in high school sure endured plenty of punishment.)

If the family member has been playing for years and this is going to be regularly used in glamorous shows for a paying audience, then splurging might be a better idea.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18592 posts
3209 upvotes
GTA West
An older brass instrument can often be greatly superior to a brand new model.

I still remember how my high school music teacher quietly sold off one of the school's ancient, abused, beat up Boosey & Hawkes trombones to a professional musician for cash. That musician would have paid thousands to get the instrument re-brassed / re-finished. It was a good deal on both ends. Of course, the teacher recycled that cash and was able to get a brand new instrument for the classroom.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
50 upvotes
Yes, for $500 "cosmetic but visibly dented, primarily on the underside so not in clear view" should be ok