• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2008 11:25 am
Tags:
None
Jun 25, 2007
368 posts
7 upvotes

Solid Pine Furniture in Ottawa

I'm in the market for new bedroom furniture made of solid wood. Checked out chains like Ashley, The Brick, Colonial, Leon's and didn't have much luck. I'm looking at pine because of its lower cost than say cherry. I figured to find what I want, I'd have to search for a local woodwork artist or a small family-owned furniture store. I have done searches on Google for them but wondering if any fellow RFDers from Ottawa here have any recommendations?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3462 posts
439 upvotes
Ottawa
You could try The Emporium but I hear they are expensive. http://www.theemporium.com/ Also if you're looking for something modern or contemporary from there, forget it.

Ikea sells quite a bit of pine furniture, and it's cheap.

There's also Valley Squire Furniture at Bank and Letrim. My wife and I have bought a few things from there, but not pine.

Don't waste your time with Ormes furniture. All hype on the radio with seemingly endless bankruptcy and moving and merging clearance sales, and not much content.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1671 posts
31 upvotes
MacGyver wrote:
Jan 8th, 2008 10:38 pm
You could try The Emporium but I hear they are expensive. http://www.theemporium.com/ Also if you're looking for something modern or contemporary from there, forget it.

Ikea sells quite a bit of pine furniture, and it's cheap.

There's also Valley Squire Furniture at Bank and Letrim. My wife and I have bought a few things from there, but not pine.

Don't waste your time with Ormes furniture. All hype on the radio with seemingly endless bankruptcy and moving and merging clearance sales, and not much content.
I agree with almost everything MacGver said! Have you checked out Costco? No pine, but they do seem to sell good quality at a good price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6202 posts
75 upvotes
Costco = furniture made in china.

Simply Wood is exactly the store you are looking for. Everything is made in canada and can be "customed", ie: they'll stain furniture whatever color you want and can custome make it if needed.

http://www.simplywood.com/

They are great guys who operate a small company.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
I would also check out Ikea and Jysk for more budget friendly options.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24610 posts
2344 upvotes
Ottawa
Randalls Paint used to carry pine furniture, finished and unfinished.
Nov 18, 2006
368 posts
22 upvotes
A place in Richmond called After Harvest http://tinyurl.com/ynqjbj

I've been in there, it's got BEAUTIFUL furniture, though a touch expensive for the higher end woods (oak, birdseye maple etc...)

If you have a car, then I would HIGHLY recommend going to Westport, Ont (20 min. south of Smiths Falls/Perth) and there's a store called Village Green http://tinyurl.com/2xorom it's also got great SOLID wood furniture, but at quite reasonable prices. There's artistry in the furniture from both of those places, clear dovetail & biscuit joinery as opposed to crappy Ikea (no offense to Ikea lovers) PB glue-jobs.
Dec 9, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
Pine sucks, soft AND ugly.

Save your pennies and buy oak, maple, cherry etc.
Nov 18, 2006
368 posts
22 upvotes
Robmic wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 11:06 am

I like the look of pine, and when you use a good urethane on it (2 layers min.) it can make a pretty hard finish. Basic fact is that most of us can't afford good hardwood (oak, maple, walnut) furniture.

If you are looking for nice enough hardwood furniture but can't afford store prices and don't fancy yourself a carpenter, try going to your nearest high school or college and see if a senior student (hs) or somebody in the cabinetry course (college) is willing to make you some nice sticks for materials + labour. It won't come out perfect, but chances are nobody but you will notice the mistakes.
Nov 8, 2004
655 posts
1 upvote
I just bought a solid Birch bedroom set for my son here in Ottawa.

-1 for Ormes. Overpriced
-1 for The Brick. Junky stuff.
-1 for Simply wood. Hung around for 1 hour, could not get any service. (There were 2 sales reps. Both were working together on a big custom order, for an older couple, maping it out on graph paper for a scale model etc. I finally walked out as I needed to get home. )

+1 Bonds Decor Almost bought here. Was served in Stitsville by the grandson of the founder. Can get 20% off for buying an entire set.
+1 Valley Squire. Decent service, phone calls returned, fair but not great prices.

Ended up buying from Bedroom Interiors, a smallish place on Collenade Rd. Fair but not great prices (similar to Valley Squire), decent service. Owner in the store and so I was able to negotiate on price.

FWIW my 2 1/2 year old is getting the Vogue Collection by Valco.
http://www.valcofurniture.com/juvenile.htm
[OP]
Jun 25, 2007
368 posts
7 upvotes
Robmic wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 11:06 am

Geez, if I can afford it, sure I would love hardwood and make them my heirloom. At this point in my life, pine is already a luxury upgrade from say, melamine, from my student days! I emailed a few local woodwork artists for a ballpark figure on just a hardwood armoire -> $3000 give or take.

Thanks all the folks for recommendations. I ended up buying a set from a small business from Luskville in Quebec called Country Home; custom-made and all solid pine. Armoire -> $500 taxes included; looks very nice and definitely not ugly.
Nov 8, 2004
655 posts
1 upvote
"Country Home" in Luskville.

Thanks for posting that. May check them out sometime.
[OP]
Jun 25, 2007
368 posts
7 upvotes
You're welcome! I had never heard of them before, but one day I saw their displays at St. Laurent Centre (they rented some temporary space - no longer there though) and that was how I found them.
× < >