Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON

SOLVED: FIDO APN (Miui 10) - Can't add APN

just purchased a xiaomi mi mix 2s and on miui 10.

I am trying to add the APN for FIDO but the add APN button is missing?!?!

Anyone know how I can resolve this??

Trying to do this to enable LTE:

zhaobinis1 wrote: ↑
6) Hope you are not shocked by the previous point as there is an easy fix for that :) To enable 4G on your phone, you need to manually add an APN. To do so, follow these steps:

i) Go to Settings > SIM cards & mobile networks > [click on your phone number under "SIM CARD SETTINGS"] > Access Point Names. You should see 2 existing APN. For me one is called Fido Internet and one called MTS-Roaming.

ii) Click New APN.

ii) Fill in the following information:

Name: Any name to identify the APN
APN: ltemobile.apn
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca/
MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS Port: 80

You can leave the rest as default.

iii) Click "more" and save.

iv) Select the APN you just created and reboot your phone.
Last edited by thelefteyeguy on Nov 21st, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
58 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1629 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
Did it not auto-populate the APN info? On my Redmi Note 4 (granted, in MIUI 9 and not 10), when I first got the phone and put in my Fido sim the APN just configured itself. Then when I switched to Public Mobile I popped in the sim and again it configured itself.

Also, is your phone using a global ROM instead of the Chinese ROM?
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON
Its weird...I popped in my wife's roger sim and the ltemobile apn pops up on the Mi Mix 2S, I also tried the Rogers Tbaytel sim and also populates the ltemobile apn (even though the tbaytel does not provide LTE but I still get the apn)
but the fido sim ($15 tablet plan) does not populate the ltemobile apn and just has the fido-core-appl1.apn.

this fido sim works on all iphones (x, 6s plus, 5s) and LTE works on all of these phones.

so im not sure why this fido sim does not generate the ltemobile apn on my new android phone. I am only getting 3g on it right now.
Cannot edit or add APN on miui 10

I did order the global version, nothing about it has chinese.
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
Apparently this is the new way of doing things (see here, and here). So it's not MIUI, it's Android. Or Android + Fido, to be exact. As of Android 8.x, the carrier/SIM card controls whether you're allowed to add APNs. And we're not - I have the same problem with PC Mobile. Even custom ROMs behave like that .. it's beyond stupid and makes me hate this OS. If you have root on the phone + ADB enabled, you can run a custom commandline to manually insert the APN . If you have root but trouble with the commandline, reply here with mcc and mnc values for Fido (from your other APNs) and we'll try to construct your commandline. Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks Miji2...you've confirmed my suspicions....

Ultimately I do not want to root the phone because I'm a pogo player...apparently...the game checks whether your phone is rooted or not.
I guess I will continue to use the sim on iphones,
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3663 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
miji2 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:06 am
Apparently this is the new way of doing things (see here, and here). So it's not MIUI, it's Android. Or Android + Fido, to be exact. As of Android 8.x, the carrier/SIM card controls whether you're allowed to add APNs. And we're not - I have the same problem with PC Mobile. Even custom ROMs behave like that .. it's beyond stupid and makes me hate this OS. If you have root on the phone + ADB enabled, you can run a custom commandline to manually insert the APN . If you have root but trouble with the commandline, reply here with mcc and mnc values for Fido (from your other APNs) and we'll try to construct your commandline. Good luck.
That's a bummer.
I was going to get a Xiaomi phone latest miui + Public mobile plan.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON
wing0 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:24 am
That's a bummer.
I was going to get a Xiaomi phone latest miui + Public mobile plan.
I can get LTE on my wife's Roger SIM card, it pushes the ltemobile.apn into my Xiaomi phone.
I suspect the reason why I am not getting the ltemobile.apn is that it is the FIDO $15 tablet plan (but I can get lte with this sim card on iphone lol). I think if I had a non tablet sim from fido, it maybe push the ltemobile.apn into my phone?!?!.

But i definitely cannot add it right now on android manually ...frustrated lol

(3G speed isnt a problem...well it's slow)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3663 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:29 am
I can get LTE on my wife's Roger SIM card, it pushes the ltemobile.apn into my Xiaomi phone.
I suspect the reason why I am not getting the ltemobile.apn is that it is the FIDO $15 tablet plan (but I can get lte with this sim card on iphone lol). I think if I had a non tablet sim from fido, it maybe push the ltemobile.apn into my phone?!?!.

But i definitely cannot add it right now on android manually ...frustrated lol

(3G speed isnt a problem...well it's slow)
I read up one of the post and someone claims you don't need root to fix the issue.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel- ... st75157321
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
wing0 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:37 am
I read up one of the post and someone claims you don't need root to fix the issue.
Yeah, I was gonna suggest to try this as well. I think if you enable debug + run ADB from your laptop + remove SIM card you should be able to do it. I did it before this way as well, but I don't recall if it worked for me or if I had to run "su" before the "am" command would save the APN. Anyways, I will try it later on tonight when I'm near my laptop.
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 12:43 pm
i think Miui 10 uses Android 9
For this device, yeah, it's 9. My problems are on a different device and precipitated with Android 8.1 .. but even on 8.0 some ROMs already had this problem .. or not a problem, but a stupid "works as designed feature".
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
wing0 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:37 am
So I tested it and it does not seem to require root, but does require debug and whole ADB setup with a separate laptop which is a PITA when you're on the go.
Plot twist. Since I always wanted an app to do it, this enraged me enough to throw together a simple App Inventor app to manually trigger the required APN add window.
Now for the dirty hack part ... sideloading APKs is a crappy way to deal with this problem, but so be it .. have to fight fire with fire. The APK is here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tY78j ... _d200HbArI and all it does is it brings up the "Add APN" dialog. So for those desperate enough for a new APN, all you need to do is pull your SIM card out, create the APN (via commandline or with this app), and then place SIM back in. This seems to work for me, test it if you're brave enough. Screenshot attached.

EDIT 1: Please note that Google blocked access to the APK because ... Google. I'll host it elsewhere and update the link, but for now it's down.
EDIT 2: to see the rest of this story, go ----> here
Images
  • Screenshot_20181120-203806_MyNewAPN.jpg
Last edited by miji2 on Jun 14th, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3663 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
miji2 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:20 pm
So I tested it and it does not seem to require root, but does require debug and whole ADB setup with a separate laptop which is a PITA when you're on the go.
Plot twist. Since I always wanted an app to do it, this enraged me enough to throw together a simple App Inventor app to manually trigger the required APN add window.
Now for the dirty hack part ... sideloading APKs is a crappy way to deal with this problem, but so be it .. have to fight fire with fire. The APK is here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tY78j ... _d200HbArI and all it does is it brings up the "Add APN" dialog. So for those desperate enough for a new APN, all you need to do is pull your SIM card out, create the APN (via commandline or with this app), and then place SIM back in. This seems to work for me, test it if you're brave enough. Screenshot attached.
Amazing! Thanks for putting time into this.
I hope this will help ppl out there.
It might push me back to getting a Xiaomi again.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON
Wow this is great...really appreciate your time and help on this.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24259 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham, ON
Im very very new to android...been using iphone forever (way too user friendly but hella expensive)

I did not go through the apk app that Miji2 was so gracious in putting together....many many thanks.

I did about 3 hours of internet searches during the day and finally stumbled on the publicmobile forum where ppl where have the same problem with greyed out apn and the disappearing apn add button!

SOme ppl were able to figure it out without any programming....

They used a sim where the company did not lock out the apn. I.e. Freedom mobile, Roam mobility (T-mobile). I was about to give up because i didnt have a freedom mobile sim hanging around until i reallized that i had a roam mobility sim hanging around...here's the solution:

the phone needs to have dual sims...

1. remove all sims ...reboot.
2. place freedom / roam mobility sim in.
3. add/create new profile ...then save
4. place fido sim
5. set fido sim as primary sim/default for internet, may need to disable the first sim
6. the add apn button will appear for FIDO! ...what a stupid bug in the first place
7. Add apn info for fido. Save
8. Root...
Fido sim now has the apn for ltemobile.apn.

...solved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)