SOLVED: FIDO APN (Miui 10) - Can't add APN

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 9:55 pm
Tags:
Jul 19, 2015
3 posts
2 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Tried the diff SIM thing. No go. Went down the ADB path... adb devices not finding phone, much reading ahead... tried the APK (as USB mount was OK), and SUCCESS! Thanks so much for that APK, miji2.
Oct 21, 2014
26 posts
203 upvotes
miji2 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:20 pm
So I tested it and it does not seem to require root, but does require debug and whole ADB setup with a separate laptop which is a PITA when you're on the go.
Plot twist. Since I always wanted an app to do it, this enraged me enough to throw together a simple App Inventor app to manually trigger the required APN add window.
Now for the dirty hack part ... sideloading APKs is a crappy way to deal with this problem, but so be it .. have to fight fire with fire. The APK is here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tY78j ... _d200HbArI and all it does is it brings up the "Add APN" dialog. So for those desperate enough for a new APN, all you need to do is pull your SIM card out, create the APN (via commandline or with this app), and then place SIM back in. This seems to work for me, test it if you're brave enough. Screenshot attached.
Thank you so much for apk, I bought a Mix 3 and had the same issue with fido. Now I'm enjoying my Mix 3 with LTE network !!! Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 28, 2007
60 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
miji2 wrote:
So I tested it and it does not seem to require root, but does require debug and whole ADB setup with a separate laptop which is a PITA when you're on the go.
Plot twist. Since I always wanted an app to do it, this enraged me enough to throw together a simple App Inventor app to manually trigger the required APN add window.
Now for the dirty hack part ... sideloading APKs is a crappy way to deal with this problem, but so be it .. have to fight fire with fire. The APK is here --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tY78j ... _d200HbArI and all it does is it brings up the "Add APN" dialog. So for those desperate enough for a new APN, all you need to do is pull your SIM card out, create the APN (via commandline or with this app), and then place SIM back in. This seems to work for me, test it if you're brave enough. Screenshot attached.
Thanks for the apk.

It worked in my xiaomi mi 8 global version.
Feb 16, 2019
1 posts
miji2 wrote:
Thank you worked for my Xiaomi mi8 with VOXI as well
Mar 28, 2007
177 posts
12 upvotes
miji2 wrote:

Thanks for sharing the apk man, worked like a charm.
Jan 11, 2012
42 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The link doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone upload the apk again? Thank you.
Jan 11, 2012
42 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
miji2 wrote:
The apk download link is not working...
Jan 11, 2012
42 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 12:29 am
Im very very new to android...been using iphone forever (way too user friendly but hella expensive)

I did not go through the apk app that Miji2 was so gracious in putting together....many many thanks.

I did about 3 hours of internet searches during the day and finally stumbled on the publicmobile forum where ppl where have the same problem with greyed out apn and the disappearing apn add button!

SOme ppl were able to figure it out without any programming....

They used a sim where the company did not lock out the apn. I.e. Freedom mobile, Roam mobility (T-mobile). I was about to give up because i didnt have a freedom mobile sim hanging around until i reallized that i had a roam mobility sim hanging around...here's the solution:

the phone needs to have dual sims...

1. remove all sims ...reboot.
2. place freedom / roam mobility sim in.
3. add/create new profile ...then save
4. place fido sim
5. set fido sim as primary sim/default for internet, may need to disable the first sim
6. the add apn button will appear for FIDO! ...what a stupid bug in the first place
7. Add apn info for fido. Save
8. Root...
Fido sim now has the apn for ltemobile.apn.

...solved.
Works for me. Thanks

To summarize, take all the SIM cards out, put Roam Mobility SIM, go to the APN setting page, CLICK add APN (and don't need to input anything, just stay at THIS page), remove Roam Mobility SIM, put bak Fido SIM, now go to previous page (i.e. leave THIS page), you will see all the original two Fido's apns but you can now "add APN" button is there.
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
chenyia11 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 9:37 pm
The apk download link is not working...
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure why, other than Google applied some weird rules onto my GDrive. I had to download it myself fairly recently after reflashing my phone, so the download was working. I'll have to investigate further.

Edit: sure enough. After un-sharing and re-sharing Google says "This item may violate our Terms of Service" .. wtf kind of a two bit cloud drive is this? I skimmed the ToS too, can't see anything about APK. Pathetic. Maybe Microsoft one will work.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18726 posts
6743 upvotes
Toronto
miji2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 12:44 pm
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure why, other than Google applied some weird rules onto my GDrive. I had to download it myself fairly recently after reflashing my phone, so the download was working. I'll have to investigate further.

Edit: sure enough. After un-sharing and re-sharing Google says "This item may violate our Terms of Service" .. wtf kind of a two bit cloud drive is this? I skimmed the ToS too, can't see anything about APK. Pathetic. Maybe Microsoft one will work.
Google doesn't seem to like people storing exe and apk files. I normally 7zip the files, encrypt file names so google cannot see what is uploaded.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:32 pm
Google doesn't seem to like people storing exe and apk files. I normally 7zip the files, encrypt file names so google cannot see what is uploaded.
Yeah, I thought of that, but the hassle of undoing all that on a (newly reset) phone negates any benefits of using the APK .. might as well just shuffle SIM cards around.
Maybe renaming it is enough to obfuscate? Or just host elsewhere.
In any case .. obscure issue but still infuriating to me.
Mar 21, 2019
1 posts
Miji, any chance of sharing the apk again? Just ran into this issue after an update.

Thanks,
Dec 24, 2017
103 posts
101 upvotes
miji2 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 11:51 am
Yeah, I thought of that, but the hassle of undoing all that on a (newly reset) phone negates any benefits of using the APK .. might as well just shuffle SIM cards around.
Maybe renaming it is enough to obfuscate? Or just host elsewhere.
In any case .. obscure issue but still infuriating to me.
Could I somehow beg you to share this file again please?
Jun 2, 2002
438 posts
141 upvotes
TL;DR : So I uploaded the APK to Microsoft OneDrive >here< .. let's see how long that lasts.

Full disclosure: I did a virus scan on the file just to see if perhaps my account was compromised or something. Nope. But I did find that 1 out of 58 virus scanners identifies this as Potentially Unwanted Program. Not sure what that's all about as the app is super simple, has no ads, and does not even require any additional permissions. I've done this in MIT App Inventor and is clean from the ground up. Regardless, if you feel uneasy, don't use this APK and just use manual steps outlined .. they work just as well.
Last edited by miji2 on Jun 14th, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.