Cell Phones

[Solved] How to Port to Prepaid Bell SIM (for new customers)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2019 5:57 pm
Mar 12, 2011
955 posts
522 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 10:00 am
I bought mine on ebay for $1, and did the steps @EPcjay did by activating online and going back and forth on the steps and it didnt ask me to pay.
Thanks, but I have TV and internet with Bell so they might just charge the amount to my account.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2446 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
elfen2 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 10:05 am
Thanks, but I have TV and internet with Bell so they might just charge the amount to my account.
Nope, impossible. For that to happen, it would have to be a postpaid account. This being a prepaid account, they're not allowed to do that.

If you are still worried about it, use a separate email address, and create a new bell profile. The information in the bell profile doesn't have to be true because its prepaid.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1428 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
Isn't it possible to use the PM $10 plan to port out Koodo numbers? I have this line for free with referral credits now so I was thinking of just porting out Koodo numbers whenever I need to cancel using that line. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many times you can port a number to PM tho.. maybe once a month or something?
Mar 12, 2011
955 posts
522 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 10:22 am
Nope, impossible. For that to happen, it would have to be a postpaid account. This being a prepaid account, they're not allowed to do that.

If you are still worried about it, use a separate email address, and create a new bell profile. The information in the bell profile doesn't have to be true because its prepaid.
Thanks, I did it. Is there a way to cancel the Bell prepaid account?
kotoula wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 11:59 am
Isn't it possible to use the PM $10 plan to port out Koodo numbers? I have this line for free with referral credits now so I was thinking of just porting out Koodo numbers whenever I need to cancel using that line. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many times you can port a number to PM tho.. maybe once a month or something?
With PM, you can change your number once every 30 days, so can probably port once every 30 days too.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2446 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
elfen2 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 9:32 pm
Thanks, I did it. Is there a way to cancel the Bell prepaid account?

With PM, you can change your number once every 30 days, so can probably port once every 30 days too.
Let it be. It'll cancel itself after 120 days of 0 balance and inactivity.
Aug 7, 2001
636 posts
62 upvotes
Has anyone had this problem:

When trying to activate a prepaid SIM, after entering the SIM card number, I click "Transfer an existing number" and enter my Koodo (Alberta) number and select Alberta as the province.

I'm getting this message:

The number you requested cannot be transferred to Bell at this time. Please call 1 888 466-2453 for more information

Any reason why I'm getting this message? Am I doing this wrong?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
Try activating the bell sim card with a new Alberta number and port in after the new bell number has been activated.
Aug 7, 2001
636 posts
62 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:38 pm
Try activating the bell sim card with a new Alberta number and port in after the new bell number has been activated.
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting stuck at the last part where it's asking for credit card details. I tried following the advice of clicking "Back" and then "Continue" to have the "Pay Later" option pop up but I don't see it. I suppose Bell has closed that loophole?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
RudeDoggy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:56 pm
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting stuck at the last part where it's asking for credit card details. I tried following the advice of clicking "Back" and then "Continue" to have the "Pay Later" option pop up but I don't see it. I suppose Bell has closed that loophole?
I'm not really sure. The last time I activated a bell prepaid SIM card was back in December 2017 and didn't have to add funds right away. I think bell and freedom no longer allow prepaid activations without adding funds at the time of activation, just like Public Mobile.

Hopefully, someone has more recent experience and is better able to assist you.

Edit: I just tried it myself and the cheapest option is the $5 Bell prepaid plan. The Option to activate a sim on Freedom doesn't allow activation without choosing at least a $15 plan.
Aug 7, 2001
636 posts
62 upvotes
I had to call into Bell since there was something messed up with the online activation and the porting wouldn't go through properly.

I managed to get the account setup on a $5 plan but I was not asked for any payment information. Since I don't physically have the SIM card on me, I can't check my account online. I'm going with the assumption that I was able to setup a prepaid plan without actually paying for a $5 plan.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
RudeDoggy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 6:48 pm
I had to call into Bell since there was something messed up with the online activation and the porting wouldn't go through properly.

I managed to get the account setup on a $5 plan but I was not asked for any payment information. Since I don't physically have the SIM card on me, I can't check my account online. I'm going with the assumption that I was able to setup a prepaid plan without actually paying for a $5 plan.
Thanks for reporting back. Good to know that payment isn't required.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7621 posts
1391 upvotes
RudeDoggy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:56 pm
I used the method again last night at 245am and it was still working.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1388 posts
289 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
CyniC- wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 2:41 am
I got charged a supposedly one time $5 + $0.44 + tax = $5.71 per activation. Rep said it's a one time charge during activation even though I have $0 account balance. Rep said account expires in 120 days if it's not topped up. Will report back in a month.
I just ported out two Bell numbers to PM. Painless. I am not staying to risk another $5.44 charge.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1992 posts
338 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
new to this. I have two #'s I'm porting out from koodo to bell prepaid. I have the sim's. I have yet to sign up or activate either. from their (bell) main prepaid page though I'm seeing 'min $15 top up'. that legit? from earlier in this thread I saw $5 mentioned. and then later due to some glitch, nothing needs to be paid up front. just activate and port? can someone clarify? thank you!
Woodstock, ON
Jan 14, 2015
2 posts
Vancouver, BC
Did you manage to activate your sims? I'm trying to do it now and it's taking forever to find me a new phone number.