Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1309 posts
274 upvotes
Ottawa

[Solved] Out of country Forwarding options

Bit of background

all phones on rogers
I have a grandfathered plan and I usually add a travel pack for $40 (by texting 7626) and off I go.
I tried that this time but looks like there are no plans like what I subscribed before.

My wife has a new plan which has roam like home.

If I fwd my number to her number and if I do get any calls I should be able to answer it on her phone.
both phone will be in europe. I think if i leave my phone here then it will work but thats not an option.

Question.

Will be travelling in Europe and if someone calls my number will I get the charges as i beleive the local tower will have to handle my
call and fwd it to the wifes cell or does this fwding take place in Canada

I think its the former which means i am going to get billed.
I am hoping its the latter so my wife will get billed.

what do you folks think.

Tech Question.

also how will my sim know to forward the call to europe. do the cell towers when connected (in europe) automatically create fwding tables
and flood all the networks so eventually the canadian twr knows how to reach me.

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by everylittlecent on Jun 14th, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Sep 27, 2003
8859 posts
1863 upvotes
Newmarket
@titaniumtux has some good insight / workaround into this to keep costs down.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
May 8, 2009
5028 posts
1685 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
  1. call forwarding OP's # to OP's wife's # is super easy
  2. forward the calls to her Canadian number. Done. It's geographically agnostic. That means the call is routed to a Canadian number, whether the call is received in Canada or abroad (roaming)
  3. make sure you add the call forwarding add-on with Rogers, because if you don't (and it's not included in your plan), the pay per use rate will serve you a nasty invoice. Afaik Rogers cell forwarding caps at 2.5k minutes, so going over that will incur usage charges.
  4. Setup the call forwarding ideally prior to departure (just before you board the plane at Canadian airport). Once setup, you can take your phone with you and still receive sms at no charge

OP your scenario is relatively simple and easy. I would have grinded more cost-effective options such as forwarding to a VoIP number I can take with me over data using a local sim, but in your case you need not go through that hassle.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1309 posts
274 upvotes
Ottawa
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:00 pm
  1. call forwarding OP's # to OP's wife's # is super easy
  2. forward the calls to her Canadian number. Done. It's geographically agnostic. That means the call is routed to a Canadian number, whether the call is received in Canada or abroad (roaming)
  3. make sure you add the call forwarding add-on with Rogers, because if you don't (and it's not included in your plan), the pay per use rate will serve you a nasty invoice. Afaik Rogers cell forwarding caps at 2.5k minutes, so going over that will incur usage charges.
  4. Setup the call forwarding ideally prior to departure (just before you board the plane at Canadian airport). Once setup, you can take your phone with you and still receive sms at no charge

OP your scenario is relatively simple and easy. I would have grinded more cost-effective options such as forwarding to a VoIP number I can take with me over data using a local sim, but in your case you need not go through that hassle.
awesome. point 2 was the only issue i had doubts as a couple of folks said otherwise .

i will find out about the call fwd option as i hope i can add it.

i dont expect to receive a lot of calls so worse case scenario pay per use.

Thanks again and thanked
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4826 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
everylittlecent wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:19 pm
If I fwd my number to her number and if I do get any calls I should be able to answer it on her phone.
both phone will be in europe. I think if i leave my phone here then it will work but thats not an option.
Since both phones will be in Europe, why would you bother to forward your call to her phone at all? Rogers will charge you receiving calls and forwarding call while roaming minute by minute.
I think you do not need to forward at all. Answer the phone if needed as you will see the incoming # anyway. If you consider the call is not important enough, just do not answer that. Call back to Canada with Hangout dialer around 2-3 cents a minute.
You will not be charged for receiving incoming text anyway. Returning text is chargeable.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12072 posts
1835 upvotes
Markham
Get Fongo App, get local #
Forward Rogers # to Fongo #

if you have data or wifi you can receive calls or check Voice messages
with Fongo App
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
May 8, 2009
5028 posts
1685 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:30 pm
Since both phones will be in Europe, why would you bother to forward your call to her phone at all? Rogers will charge you receiving calls and forwarding call while roaming minute by minute.
I think you do not need to forward at all. Answer the phone if needed as you will see the incoming # anyway. If you consider the call is not important enough, just do not answer that. Call back to Canada with Hangout dialer around 2-3 cents a minute.
You will not be charged for receiving incoming text anyway. Returning text is chargeable.
OP's wife's cell will have roaming add-on enabled. OP can pay less by paying for call forwarding only, rather than paying roaming on his incoming calls.
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:32 pm

with Fongo App
Not necessary. OP's wife's cell will utilize roaming add-on anyway.

Granted, Fongo route may be cheaper, but then OP would have to get a local sim and add airtime for data. OP rather use roaming on only his wife's phone. Best to keep it simple.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12072 posts
1835 upvotes
Markham
titaniumtux wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:37 pm
OP's wife's cell will have roaming add-on enabled. OP can pay less by paying for call forwarding only, rather than paying roaming on his incoming calls.

Not necessary. OP's wife's cell will utilize roaming add-on anyway.

Granted, Fongo route may be cheaper, but then OP would have to get a local sim and add airtime for data. OP rather use roaming on only his wife's phone. Best to keep it simple.
then Wife get Fongo app and both forward their # to Fongo
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
May 8, 2009
5028 posts
1685 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:56 pm
then Wife get Fongo app and both forward their # to Fongo
Pro's and cons to both options. Then wife's cell needs local sim with data loaded to it. Fongo can be a YMMV outside of Canada. I see OP said Europe and I heard Fongo works ok there, but they do market Fongo World app for use outside of Canada. Bigger hassle to get local data outlet, especially outside of wifi coverage.

Personally, I'd go the VoIP route, and I wouldn't even call forward (I'd reply to sms and missed calls via WhatsApp, VoIP, etc.) but OP wants the spoonfed all-inclusive, one-stop-shop solution but rather not pay for roaming add-ons on two cell lines.

</fongodiscussion>
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1309 posts
274 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply

Both of us have WhatsApp, hangouts and Fongo and have used them when traveling.

Could you elaborate on the VOIP option mentioned above. With roam like home on my wife’s phone data is also included so can use the above options as well.

We won’t be getting a lot of calls but want to be prepared just in case

In 2016 we were on a European driving trip and someone slashed a tire in Amsterdam. Was on the phone with the leasing company for a good 15 odd mins as they called my number ( we leased a van in Europe)
May 8, 2009
5028 posts
1685 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
everylittlecent wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:20 am
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply

Both of us have WhatsApp, hangouts and Fongo and have used them when traveling.

Could you elaborate on the VOIP option mentioned above. With roam like home on my wife’s phone data is also included so can use the above options as well.

We won’t be getting a lot of calls but want to be prepared just in case

In 2016 we were on a European driving trip and someone slashed a tire in Amsterdam. Was on the phone with the leasing company for a good 15 odd mins as they called my number ( we leased a van in Europe)
You can forward Rogers cell #'s to Fongo numbers (or both to the same Fongo number). You'll inevitably need data for VoIP calls while outside of wifi coverage. Also, I recommend getting a free VPN app such as Opera VPN or Browsec in case wifi hotspot blocks VoIP ports.

Get a local sim for data. Keep Fongo running (wifi or LTE) and receive all your Rogers calls on that. If you don't have dual-sim phones, that means leaving Rogers sims in your pockets/suitcases or even in Canada.

Even if OP's wife enables roaming, doesn't hurt to grab a local sim for data as backup.

If you wanna push it to the next level, get VoIP.ms or FreePhoneLine. FPL is now $80 for unlock key afaik (sip credentials). Pop that into a sip client on your phone. You'd be skipping the Fongo app, meaning if Fongo won't work in your travel destination, you'll still get the calls assuming you have internet connectivity. If for whatever reason you're at a destination where you're not "supposed to use VoIP", VPN it and you'll be fine. Fail-proof solution to receive calls.

If you are ok to send all calls to voicemail, but would like voicemail to email, then grab FreePhoneLine. No need to pay for sip credentials. Call forward no answer Rogers calls to FreePhoneLine. Configure FreePhoneLine to do voicemail to email. Specifically send no answer calls to FreePhoneLine only (instead of Rogers's voicemail number). FreePhoneLine will pick up as your voicemail and you'll receive them via email. Then call out using VoIP or even local sim if you have cheap rates.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4424 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on this! Always use this method while out of Canada.
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:32 pm

with Fongo App
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)