Computers & Electronics

[SOLVED] From Sony Android TV's, would exFat be better than NTFS?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 2:58 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes

[SOLVED] From Sony Android TV's, would exFat be better than NTFS?

I have a XBR55X900F and plays USB flash drives fine but when I hook up my 4 TB Western Digital hdd, the drive is detected but contents are not show in the Movie App.

Not sure if there are too many folders or if the TV doesn't like NTFS. I was wondering if exFat would be a better file system to use.

It says either file system supports 16TB drives:

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/sup ... s/00148248
Images
  • sony tv.PNG
Last edited by alanbrenton on Feb 2nd, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12002 posts
1635 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If it doesn't support GPT, I wonder why the chart says that it supports up to 16TB. MBR's max is 2TB.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23697 posts
2882 upvotes
Montreal
ExFAT supports GPT tables.

The main issue is permissions. Windows PCs need NTFS for file permissions

The other issue is that exFAT has limited support in Linux and I believe Mac has some issues with it.

I generally use NTFS because it's such an old format, everything can read it.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
It's not reading my 4 GB external hdd on NTFS.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23697 posts
2882 upvotes
Montreal
alanbrenton wrote: It's not reading my 4 GB external hdd on NTFS.
Yeah I'm not familiar with Android TV. I have a shield but it can read anything.

If NTFS does not work try exfat. If neither works use an MBR table with two smaller 2tb partions in NTFS.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3112 posts
684 upvotes
Are you trying to playing files that's not supported by the built in player? Perhaps try a known good file that works on USB stick and put that on the root directory of the 4TB and see what happens.

VLC is also available for android tv, see if that helps.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
coilz wrote: Are you trying to playing files that's not supported by the built in player? Perhaps try a known good file that works on USB stick and put that on the root directory of the 4TB and see what happens.
No, I mount the ext hdd and I see no file directory structure or files.

The TV plays HEVC / x.265 well on usb sticks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15620 posts
2408 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a portable drive? If yes, could it be that the usb port can't apply enough power over usb?

Try a powered 4 tb external NTFS hard drive?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
^ Yes, it's portable. Will try as you suggested.

USB # 1 delivers more power but reddit does says the it worked for him on USB #2. :)
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51945 posts
16524 upvotes
So I downloaded the free Archos player along with another app purporting to be its codecs from the TV's Google Play store. Also read that this is one of the few that allows for digital audio pass through. I tried MX Player and another one but chanced upon a discussion recommending Archos.

USB port #2 (lower powered one) works fine reading the WD portable external hdd and a Seagate (yes, it's still working) external hdd with external power supply. Both were formatted awhile back in NTFS.

I'm a Happy Camper now.