None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1708 posts
295 upvotes
Kitchener

Are some Costco's better than others?

Basically, are the deals at Costco's in say the GTA better then what you'd find in my Costco here in Kitchener? Cause the KW-Cambridge Costco generally seems to have not as many deals as I seem to see posted in the GTA and out west in Vancouver.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
X-Nemesis wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 5:44 pm
Basically, are the deals at Costco's in say the GTA better then what you'd find in my Costco here in Kitchener? Cause the KW-Cambridge Costco generally seems to have not as many deals as I seem to see posted in the GTA and out west in Vancouver.

I dont know about "better" but they do carry different stock for the region.
When I'm at the cottage and pop in at the one in Peterborough, it has much more "outdoorsy" stuff than our local one in Mississauga...things like ATV and snowmobile accessories. Oh and stuff like silk ties go on clearance sooner in Peterborough :)
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
I believe the basic sales are the same but in some stores, certain items don't move as well so you're more apt to find a lot of items ending in $.97. I go to the Peterborough one a lot and often find much nicer deals than at say the Ajax store. I go to Costco wherever I happen to see one and I have found some are tidier than others and some have items that others don't.

I'm in SC right now and I've found some great $.97 deals here. Gonna have fun fitting them back into the car when we head home. OY
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
They have different stock in different store. Two Markham Costco carry slightly different items.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4003 posts
867 upvotes
X-Nemesis wrote:

This should be in shopping discussion.

Anyhow.

The deals in the West and the East are different each week, although there is some overlap. Each Costco carries basically the same thing, but like Stealth mentioned, there are regional differences.
Dec 7, 2007
566 posts
21 upvotes
i believe so...I find Markham has much better selection than Markham East
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
Canuckistani wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 5:51 pm
i believe so...I find Markham has much better selection than Markham East

+1, just curious though, I was at markham east a few weeks back, they don't sell iPods anymore?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4003 posts
867 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 5:54 pm
+1, just curious though, I was at markham east a few weeks back, they don't sell iPods anymore?

I believe Costco has ended its deal with Apple and will no longer be carrying iPods.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:

Costco got into a p****ng contest with Apple and no longer sell any Apple products. they were angry that Apple let Sams sell the iPad before they were, or something like that.

Many Costco's will sell things that target their customer base, like if they have a heavy Asian customer base they will sell items that appeal to them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
545 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
deltone wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 5:56 pm
Costco got into a p****ng contest with Apple and no longer sell any Apple products. they were angry that Apple let Sams sell the iPad before they were, or something like that.

Many Costco's will sell things that target their customer base, like if they have a heavy Asian customer base they will sell items that appeal to them.

The iPhones are gone too, along with the discounted iTunes cards.
The Wireless people told me it was a disagreement over price fixing: Apple wanted uniform prices and Costco wanted a minimum mark up, so they split.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 8:26 pm
Different Costcos often have different food. For example, the one in Richmond Hill carries Limonata and Orangina to cater to an Italian population there. Also, those nice stainless steel shelves go on sale there sometimes, and they never do here in Kingston.

We bought 5 of those stainless steel shelves last year when they were on sale in the coupon book. Saved $20 on each. Funny thing is that in the Costco in Myrtle Beach, SC, those exact same shelves cost the same as they do in Canada. A lot of items are the same price, oddly enough.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 8:35 pm
Wait, there's a coupon book? I'm an executive member (I feel so special) - can I get this coupon book at the customer service counter? Because I want to buy another 4 and I wouldn't mind saving $80.

That was last year and it was only for a limited time. Perhaps they'll have it in the next coupon book which I'm not sure if it's out yet as I've not been home since the end of December. I think all members get the coupon books that are sent each season. Each coupon only lasts for a week or two though. Often they do have the books at the customer service desk.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4175 posts
539 upvotes
Guelph, ON
X-Nemesis wrote:

I agree, definitely noticed quite often that items posted on sale at others when not on sale in Kitchener and/or not even available in Kitchener.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6914 posts
2849 upvotes
The one at Hwy7/Bayview area seems to have more higher-end goods...
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
dragon_drift wrote:

Apple would not let Costco sell the Apple iPods for cheaper than a certain price and were not supplied iPads for launch. That is coming from some employees I asked at a store level. Whether its true or not is whatever. Either way they ain't selling them anymore. They were not that much cheaper anyways.