Cell Phones

Some of us are really Spolied lol playing with the Samsung A8.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2018 10:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16923 posts
1349 upvotes
Woodbridge

Some of us are really Spolied lol playing with the Samsung A8.

I'm setting up, okay playing with my Mother's birthday gift. Her new SAMSUNG A8 that I got for $350.

Clearly I love and addicted but I really cannot tell the difference between the A8 and my Note 9. In terms of performance, hence why I started the other discussion. I get the bells and whistles but as far as for basic needs, it gets the job done.

This is why I don't get the reason for paying $400+ for the 8GB Note 9. I get the bigger storage but just made me think...

Do I really need it, spending double or triple the price or just spoiled? LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15492 posts
2961 upvotes
Toronto
They don't even compete in the same space. As you know, the Note 9 is huge in comparison. It also has a much better camera, and the battery life should be significantly longer.

Sure, the A8 may be a fine value phone, but it doesn't really compete well against the S9 or Note 9 overall. Depends on what you need I guess. If you need a texting device that can take a few selfies, the A8 is fine, but if you want more, the A8 may or may not fill the need.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14468 posts
949 upvotes
Markham
Fresh phones always feel fast man! You've setup countless phones to know that!
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4824 posts
1023 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
I also get the A8 for my Mother in law performance wise works the same like my S9+. calling VOLTE WifiCalling Social Media Games Movies fast charging capability the only missing is wireless charging.

Freedom Mobile

Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19205 posts
7449 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
My mom was going to get the A8 to upgrade from her galaxy s3. At the end of the day I told her to go big or go home. Got her into an s9.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3302 posts
583 upvotes
I got the S9 , A8 and the Essential. While the A8 is not bad, it's nowhere near the S9 in terms of screen clarity and it's nowhere near the feel of the Essential. I liked it for its price but there's a noticeable but probably not the five, six hundred dollars worth of noticeable difference. I much prefer the flat screens of the Essential in the A8 over the S9.
I read the specs that the international version has dual Sims. Is there a way to make a Canadian dual Sims ? Is it just a hidden inside or do we just need a different sim tray work two slots ?
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5483 posts
1996 upvotes
Canada
I like it very much as well. Go into developer options and turn all animations to 0.5x and turn on forced GPU rendering.

The AMOLED screen is much nicer than the Essential phone I have right now.

I just wish the screen was bigger. But thanks to our carriers we won't get the A8+.

The lack of midrange phones at Koodo is a bit surprising. No P20 Lite, Moto, Sony etc
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2292 posts
814 upvotes
Everywhere
tkl wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:29 pm
I got the S9 , A8 and the Essential. While the A8 is not bad, it's nowhere near the S9 in terms of screen clarity and it's nowhere near the feel of the Essential. I liked it for its price but there's a noticeable but probably not the five, six hundred dollars worth of noticeable difference. I much prefer the flat screens of the Essential in the A8 over the S9.
I read the specs that the international version has dual Sims. Is there a way to make a Canadian dual Sims ? Is it just a hidden inside or do we just need a different sim tray work two slots ?
Virtually all Samsung phones sold outside of Canada and the US are dual SIM as the default.

It is not the same model because dual SIM phones have two IMEI numbers. Your Canadian model does not have two IMEI numbers. The software is also different to manage the behaviour of having two SIM cards.

Each country has its own variant of software because Samsung Pay only works with banks in the country the phone was produced for. If you have a dual SIM phone and you bank in Canada or the US, Samsung pay will not work with your bank.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)