165 upvotes

Somebody stole my credit card info and called into the bank

Resolved, thank you
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
This is a very freaky story. It sounds like you take a lot of care in protecting your identity by shredding information, monitoring your mail, etc. Sometimes I think that these types of unexplainable events can be caused by an "inside" job. In other words, perhaps someone who works at the bank, credit card company, or some other agency that has access to privileged information may be using this information or selling it to others who use this information to take advantage. Of course, I don't have any hard evidence to support this but I have experienced similar fraud which when we investigated found conclusively no leak which strongly suggested the fraud was committed on the inside. My experience had to do with something technology-related so it was easier to trace any leak. It is sad to think people on the inside could commit such acts but it cannot be entirely ruled out.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I used to work in the credit card industry. Occasionally you will get someone working in the call centre who facilitates this kind of fraud.

Either that, or it's someone who knows you. Crazy ex-spouse or ex-girl/boyfriend?
Maybe someone who works for your employer leaked the info? Maybe check with friends at work to see if anyone else had the same thing.

You can and should definitely put a fraud warning on both your TransUnion and Equifax. (This will also prevent you from doing instant credit approvals.)
- casual gastronomist -
Feb 28, 2010
479 posts
165 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: I used to work in the credit card industry. Occasionally you will get someone working in the call centre who facilitates this kind of fraud.

Either that, or it's someone who knows you. Crazy ex-spouse or ex-girl/boyfriend?
Maybe someone who works for your employer leaked the info? Maybe check with friends at work to see if anyone else had the same thing.

You can and should definitely put a fraud warning on both your TransUnion and Equifax. (This will also prevent you from doing instant credit approvals.)
no crazy ex-spouses or exes, nothing like that
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
You should call both Equifax and TUC and ask to talk to their fraud victim divison. Tell them to put a Fraud Victim Alert on your file.
Not sure how long it lasts. You should call them and ask.
You will definitely not be able to get any kind of "instant approval" types of credit cards or instant financing for auto loans, furniture, etc. Not sure how annoying it is to get other credit because I have not done this myself.
- casual gastronomist -

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)