Parenting & Family

Someone calling your child bad. What will you do?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 8:56 pm

Poll: Do you think it is right for someone to tell to your child that he/she is bad?

• Total votes: 16. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

44%
No

56%

Poll ended at Nov 4th, 2018 6:22 am

[OP]
Oct 27, 2018
21 posts
7 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 9:48 pm
I did the same thing with my kid - getting upset at 1-2 never gets a reward... and while he has tantrums like any toddler... it's very rarely major. If he wants to throw a fit, I leave him on the floor and ignore him until he's done. Usually it's 30 seconds at most and then he moves on.
Were you one of those parents that explain why you left him crying and explained what you did later? Or you did it so many things that he got the picture?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
s7yl3x wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:56 pm
It is the former. I think "bad" should be associated with a behaviour or else it is not very helpful.
I understand what you mean now. I agree, I wouldn’t call someone bad. However, one can’t control other people, and if the intent was to correct a behaviour then I would gently correct that behaviour was inappropriate. You are not going to change someone else, especially older people.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17202 posts
2076 upvotes
Langley
s7yl3x wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:00 pm
Were you one of those parents that explain why you left him crying and explained what you did later? Or you did it so many things that he got the picture?
He's 2.5... so I can't explain much to him yet. He doesn't really need to know why tantrums are ineffective at getting rewards/attention. Tantrums are natural for a child who can't yet express himself properly. They only learn to tantrum as a mechanism for getting rewards/attention if that's what adults teach them. To him, a tantrum is just an emotional response to something that he doesn't like, but to other kids, they're learning that it's a method to obtain something they want.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1145 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
I would not dwell on it and let it affect you.