Computers & Electronics

Is someone here familiar with IBM Thinkpad T42 Graphics chip problem and reflow?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2010 10:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
905 posts
60 upvotes

Is someone here familiar with IBM Thinkpad T42 Graphics chip problem and reflow?

I acquired a T42 Thinkpad laptop for really cheap because it would often freeze and I was reading it could be caused by the graphics chip soldering that get cracked with time.

Apparently you can use a torch or heat gun to heat up the chip to reflow the solder, I need to know which chip should I heat (there are 3 chips next to the CPU)
5 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is usually related when lead-free solder is used and due to poor cooling of the motherboard. Xbox 360 had a similar issue with RROD (early generation of consoles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0

Hope that helps. The remedy may however be short-lived unless you decide to keep the motherboard out of its case. Good luck. :)
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5307 posts
272 upvotes
You won't be able to fix it. on board CPU and GPU and chipset have precision welding. Once it cracks, the board is a goner.

What you can do is scout around for a motherboard pulled from a T42. They can be had for around $40 on ebay.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tomtomtom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2010 12:47 pm
You won't be able to fix it. on board CPU and GPU and chipset have precision welding. Once it cracks, the board is a goner.

What you can do is scout around for a motherboard pulled from a T42. They can be had for around $40 on ebay.

those are pull-outs and may very well repeat itself with the exact same problem.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1167 posts
15 upvotes
Yes, it sounds like your only avenue is to either try a used mobo via ebay or look for a new laptop.

The chip problem is well documented on the Thinkpads forum. There are some individuals who have a business of doing the reflow and I suspect they'll tell you their work is 'better' than the Youtube video 'how-to's' you can watch. There's a skilled process you need to use. There's not many who do it. Try the forum and see what you think.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
905 posts
60 upvotes
I am familiar with the reflow, I needed to know which exact chip that needed to be heated. It is the ATI GPU chip according to the info on the Thinkpad forums.

By the way, the HP DV6000 and DV9000 series also suffer from this issue
× < >