Automotive

Someone Hit My Door In A Parking Lot - Recourse? Their License Plate Any Good?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2009 5:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto

Someone Hit My Door In A Parking Lot - Recourse? Their License Plate Any Good?

Someone hit my door in a parking lot ... long story short, I saw them do it and I have pictures of their license plate (because I had my camera, as opposed to writing it down).

Anything I can do with this information to get in contact with them OR make them pay for any damages?
"Deal of the Day" addict
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 6:28 pm
Someone hit my door in a parking lot ... long story short, I saw them do it and I have pictures of their license plate (because I had my camera, as opposed to writing it down).

Anything I can do with this information to get in contact with them OR make them pay for any damages?
More specifically, was your door hit with their bumper as they drove in or out of a parking space, or was your door dinged when they opened their door?

It is so nasty when people don't take responsibility for their actions.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
It was hit when they opened their door. They did it twice.
"Deal of the Day" addict
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
I've already "Left The Scene" though ...

My thing is, I have a nice dent in my door because of this guy parked beside me. I took a picture of his license plate "just because" but now I have no idea what it's good for.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
This happened to me in Vancouver. Some lady hit my door while opening her door. I ask her if she noticed she hit my door and she screems she didn't and tried to show me that it wasn;t her door by opening it and lining it up with the dent make. But as she opened it again, she hit my car again.

I had witnesses and got her insurance. ICBC sent me a letter to have the door fixed and and send them the bill.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 7:08 pm
I've already "Left The Scene" though ...

My thing is, I have a nice dent in my door because of this guy parked beside me. I took a picture of his license plate "just because" but now I have no idea what it's good for.
Then take the car and the information to one of the reporting centers to show it was more than a minor door ding.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
I'd say call someone and ask. I'm sure if you can prove it was them (in your photos), then you can claim money back for fixing your dent.

1 - your insurance company
2 - collision report centre
3 - non-emergency police number (NOT 911)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Whitedart wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 7:17 pm
Then take the car and the information to one of the reporting centers to show it was more than a minor door ding.
IT IS a minor ding ...

Okay, I'll explain the full story.

I'm sitting in my car waiting for my girlfriend ... car is off, I'm playing NBA 2K9 on my PSP (so I'm not really paying attention) ... guy parks beside me (passenger side), steps out of his car and bumps his door into my mirror ...
I brush it off and figure well, it just bounces off the mirror, that's fine ... he says "Sorry" when he notices I'm in the car ...
He then proceeds to take out something from the backseat ... chooses the same side again (where as if I knew it was tight, I'd go around to the other side of the vehicle). Anyways, he opens up the door and he hits me again, this time it bounces twice off the car ...
At this point I'm pretty agitated and I've paused my game. He begins to walk away.

I get out of my car, check the side and what do you know, there's a chip from when he opened my door. Minor, but nontheless its a chip. If I go to get that fixed, I'm going to be charged $50-100 (IMO) so it means something to me. Even though my car is older and its paint isn't all that anymore, it bugs me. It bugs me a lot.

Its hard to explain but if I was just sitting there paying attention, I would have got out and said something and took his information but you have to understand, I wasn't full coherent to everything since I was playing my game. It wasn't until he left and I checked my car that I got upset about it.

I wanted to wait for him to come back out but turns out, the person I was waiting for came and we had to leave. I never saw him again, but I have a picture of us parked side-by-side and what he did to my car.
"Deal of the Day" addict
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
*Like I said, it was nothing major (this time) but I'm irrirtated because he saw me in the car and not only hit me once, but twice (with different doors).
Even though my car isn't in perfect condition, I purposely stay away from situations like this and here it is, the guy hits me. I would hope that "car people" understand that, regardless of the damage.
I'm not trying to be an a$$ here, it just upsets me that this happened, especially when I was there.*

My car is on the left:
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15580 posts
507 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
which car is yours?
PC IS MASTER RACE!
( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
VAPE NATION \//\
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
I'll edit my post and put that in ... my car is on the left, far from the line.
His car is on the right, close to the line.
"Deal of the Day" addict
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know what I was thinking ... I should have snapped out of it and jumped out of my car to talk to the guy ... I didn't ...

And now the thing is, its too small to really make a fuss with insurance about.
If HIS insurance would pay for it, that would be great.

Instead, I have to suffer with yet ANOTHER scuff on my car.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Aug 8, 2008
70 posts
1 upvote
So you were too intimidated to get out and talk to him and now you want to find out who he is with the plate number so you can write a very nasty letter to him and avoid the confrontation while still venting your frustrations? :lol:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11886 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
cdoran wrote:
Mar 25th, 2009 9:24 pm
So you were too intimidated to get out and talk to him and now you want to find out who he is with the plate number so you can write a very nasty letter to him and avoid the confrontation while still venting your frustrations? :lol:
I was waiting for him to come back out ... it didn't happen.
The reason why he didn't hear a peep out of me was because I was pre-occupied. By the time I actually realized what I was witnessing (and hearing) he was already gone ...

I know it seems like what you've just described but that wasn't the case. I've spoken to people in the past about similar situations, which is why I was surprised I didn't wake up and get the hell out of my car.
"Deal of the Day" addict
× < >