Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Someone tried to scam my credit card.

So four days ago I've gotten an email from my credit card company about a fraudulent attempt to buy almost $3k worth of stuff from lowe's nc internet, whatever that is. I called the credit card company, they canceled my credit card and sent me out a new one. Fast forward a few days (last night at around 8:30 pm) I get a call from a collections agency claiming I owe them money for tuition at a university I never attended nor applied to 10 years ago. If there was a mistake in identity, why now, why 10 years later? The questions I have is would this bogus collection claim affect my credit score since they know my name and phone number? Can they take me to court or seize assets over debt that's not mine? Is it possible that this has something to do with my credit card number being stolen? Is there any free or cheap way I can check if someone is trying to apply for credit using my information?

I have excellent credit, mortgage, credit cards, loc, never been denied for a loan or credit. This is freaking the ***** out of me, what steps should I take to protect myself even further?

Thanks in advance for any information, any advice would help.
12 replies
Jan 5, 2015
615 posts
165 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Do an equifax/transunion - look for anything suspicious.
As for the collection claim, call the police and file a report - check if they're scammers.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I am curious as to the bank that sent you an e-mail regarding fraudulent use of you credit card (I did note the word "attempt" but that doesn't change my question).

I bank with a major Cdn. bank. I would not respond to an e-mail - and we are advised not to by the bank. This has happened to us twice over the years. In each case we received a call from the bank's fraud dept. Of course, I called them back on the number shown on the back of the card.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
Blanche123 wrote: I am curious as to the bank that sent you an e-mail regarding fraudulent use of you credit card (I did note the word "attempt" but that doesn't change my question).

I bank with a major Cdn. bank. I would not respond to an e-mail - and we are advised not to by the bank. This has happened to us twice over the years. In each case we received a call from the bank's fraud dept. Of course, I called them back on the number shown on the back of the card.
Maybe the OP set up automated email alerts (some banks offer that service) and that's what they meant.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: Maybe the OP set up automated email alerts (some banks offer that service) and that's what they meant.
Thanks, that makes sense. We have been receiving a lot of scam phone calls and e-mails of late - none of which we have replied to, so we are both very careful. I particularly hate the CRA phone and e-mail scams and those calls are just the beginning!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1836 posts
1399 upvotes
TORONTO
valeradunets wrote: Fast forward a few days (last night at around 8:30 pm) I get a call from a collections agency claiming I owe them money for tuition at a university I never attended nor applied to 10 years ago. If there was a mistake in identity, why now, why 10 years later?
The bad debt was probably sold & resold from one collection agency to another, and one of the bottom feeders thinks you might be the person who incurred the debt. Often collection agencies don't put much effort into determining that you are the person who incurred the debt.

Here is an example: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... ies-attack

Is the debtor's name similar to yours?

That being said, even if this was your debt, they can't do anything to you legally for a debt that old and they can't put it on your credit history.
valeradunets wrote: Can they take me to court or seize assets over debt that's not mine?
Can they take you to court? Yes. Will they win? No. Can they seize your assets? Not without a court judgement.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Blanche123 wrote: I am curious as to the bank that sent you an e-mail regarding fraudulent use of you credit card (I did note the word "attempt" but that doesn't change my question).

That happened before when they thought a transaction I made was fraudulent, it just asks if you've made the transaction. As soon as I saw that, I called the bank.
M8Rxmjsik wrote: The bad debt was probably sold & resold from one collection agency to another, and one of the bottom feeders thinks you might be the person who incurred the debt. Often collection agencies don't put much effort into determining that you are the person who incurred the debt.

Here is an example: http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... ies-attack

Is the debtor's name similar to yours?

That being said, even if this was your debt, they can't do anything to you legally for a debt that old and they can't put it on your credit history.

Can they take you to court? Yes. Will they win? No. Can they seize your assets? Not without a court judgement.
The debtors name is my name (I didn't ask for spelling), that's why it freaked me out. I didn't ask many questions nor gave any information since I don't know who the scum bag on the other end is. I'm just wondering if it's just a coincidence or if it has something to do with my stolen credit card number.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
valeradunets wrote: That happened before when they thought a transaction I made was fraudulent, it just asks if you've made the transaction. As soon as I saw that, I called the bank.

The debtors name is my name (I didn't ask for spelling), that's why it freaked me out. I didn't ask many questions nor gave any information since I don't know who the scum bag on the other end is. I'm just wondering if it's just a coincidence or if it has something to do with my stolen credit card number.
Without knowing how someone got your CC number, maybe this other guy with the same name as you conned someone into looking up "his" card number. Could be a common tactic for scammers with or using a common name.

Collections thing could be total coincidence, but they probably bought the debt cheap and are just trying to call everyone in the country with that name to hope they find the person and get some payment out of it. They're not going to lead with "Excuse me, sir, could you possibly be the same Xxx Y Zzz that went to ABC university in 'xx-'yy?" They're bullies and will try to strong arm and insist they know it's you to cop an admission.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Now, this "debt collector" called my work! Wtf, where are they getting information about me? Both time, they hung up after I said I never enroled/attended that school. Really hoping this isn't one of those nightmare situations where they call every day :(
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2740 posts
318 upvotes
valeradunets wrote: So four days ago I've gotten an email from my credit card company about a fraudulent attempt to buy almost $3k worth of stuff from lowe's nc internet, whatever that is. I called the credit card company, they canceled my credit card and sent me out a new one. Fast forward a few days (last night at around 8:30 pm) I get a call from a collections agency claiming I owe them money for tuition at a university I never attended nor applied to 10 years ago. If there was a mistake in identity, why now, why 10 years later? The questions I have is would this bogus collection claim affect my credit score since they know my name and phone number? Can they take me to court or seize assets over debt that's not mine? Is it possible that this has something to do with my credit card number being stolen? Is there any free or cheap way I can check if someone is trying to apply for credit using my information?

I have excellent credit, mortgage, credit cards, loc, never been denied for a loan or credit. This is freaking the ***** out of me, what steps should I take to protect myself even further?

Thanks in advance for any information, any advice would help.
valeradunets wrote: Now, this "debt collector" called my work! Wtf, where are they getting information about me? Both time, they hung up after I said I never enroled/attended that school. Really hoping this isn't one of those nightmare situations where they call every day :(
I had those bogus collection calls before as well. I told them I submitted their info to the RCMP and they flipped 180. They began apologizing like crazy and telling me that they would immediately fix this contact info mistake and to please not move forward with the investigation.
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1736 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary
airodyssey wrote: Maybe the OP set up automated email alerts (some banks offer that service) and that's what they meant.
Wait. You can set up email alerts on purchases, but it's much different than fraud alerts. I don't know the banking regulations on such things, but sending off an email seems like the worst way to deal with it from a banks perspective. They should immediately call to find out if this is real or not, so the card can be shut down immediately.

I'm more inclined to think this is a phishing email. And if this email appears super legit, I'd call up the number on the back of my credit card to figure out what is up - which it sounds like the OP hasn't done.

Based on the OPs story, the damage is done now. Which sucks. I think it's a lesson that people should regularly get a copy of their FREE credit report every quarter or 6 months. It's a few minutes of your time to save you a big hassle if something bad happens.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wm009 wrote: Wait. You can set up email alerts on purchases, but it's much different than fraud alerts. I don't know the banking regulations on such things, but sending off an email seems like the worst way to deal with it from a banks perspective. They should immediately call to find out if this is real or not, so the card can be shut down immediately.

I'm more inclined to think this is a phishing email. And if this email appears super legit, I'd call up the number on the back of my credit card to figure out what is up - which it sounds like the OP hasn't done.

Based on the OPs story, the damage is done now. Which sucks. I think it's a lesson that people should regularly get a copy of their FREE credit report every quarter or 6 months. It's a few minutes of your time to save you a big hassle if something bad happens.
The purchase was declined and email sent to me. Wasn't a phishing email, the moment I got it, I called the number on the card and they confirmed attempted scam. How do I get a free credit report? Tried equafax and it's only 1 month free and they want a credit card to register for trial.
Dec 5, 2012
190 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
valeradunets wrote: The purchase was declined and email sent to me. Wasn't a phishing email, the moment I got it, I called the number on the card and they confirmed attempted scam. How do I get a free credit report? Tried equafax and it's only 1 month free and they want a credit card to register for trial.
https://help-en.equifax.ca/app/answers/ ... -residents

https://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/c ... re_en.page

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)