• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2017 6:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
jhayne wrote: It's actually a bit more accurate than "approximately Richmond Hill". Probably be able to narrow it down to two or three houses. I just didn't wanna give out exact details.
It's not accurate enough for police to get warrant, even if they deem it worthwhile to pursue.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
this happened to me last week...not a phone , but a tablet for work..it was tracked to an address..the police met me there...there was a short discussion with the person, they gave it back, and the police asked if i wanted to press charges...ot was stolen out of a truck, i didnt press charges.
police helped me
Aug 15, 2012
357 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
iOS or Android? I don't know how much filing a police report would do... maybe it'd work if you have solid evidence that your phone was lost and being tracked. You should've recorded yourself tracking the phone in the program you were using. It's a hassle but solid evidence is the only thing that gets police to care.

Does your program show your phone's tracking history, with each date and location listed? Or only the last known location? I've never had to track my phone so I don't have much experience with ADM, Cerberus or Find My iPhone/iCloud (thankfully).

If I were you, I'd get a bunch of my friends to come with me and go to the person's house. I'd ring the doorbell and politely explain the situation to whoever answers. If they deny anything, I'd say that I'm going to go file a police report now and hope that they return my phone back to me out of fear. Good luck OP.

On a lighter note,

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
jhayne wrote: Not sure where to post, so I'm just putting it here.

Lost my phone yesterday, and someone seems to have found it. Tried calling but no luck. The thing is, tracking is enabled and I know where the person approximately is (He's driving up Don Mills and Hwy7 as we speak). I even know where he approximately lives (around Richmond Hill).

Is there anything I could do with this info? Would I be able to file a police report and declare as "stolen" and let them track this person? He/she works around my area and I tried remote ringing but the person just turns it off as soon as I activate so I can never really do sound location. The weird part is, I'm pretty sure they know it's being geolocated but they haven't turned off the phone or take of the SIM card which is puzzling. I will try to declare it as lost/stolen and try to blacklist the phone's IMEI soon. Just don't want to do it yet since I might lose geotracking once everything's disabled.

Anyways, I've pretty much written it off, but just wondering what you guys would do in my position.
Moving forward.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
A few years ago, my aunt in Scarborough had police knock on her door as she unknowingly bought a stolen iPhone 5s off Kijiji.

I bought an iPhone 4s a couple years ago and it had a message to contact a number if the iPhone was found so I texted the number and told them I bought their iPhone on Kijiji. They replied when I can drop it off (they lived 150 kms away from me). I told them I'm doing my due diligence letting them know and there's no way I'd waste more money driving it to another city. I told them if they ever want their iPhone to contact me when they're in my city and they can pick it up. I haven't heard from them since my reply.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39754 upvotes
Toronto
Blacklist! Also activation lock if iPhone. Render that sucker useless.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
Try to go to a police station during a time that is not busy. They will always refuse over the phone, but I know of several times where the police were able to help with stolen phones, bikes, computers, etc. when the complainant asked for help in person.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
The OP said he " lost " the phone, It was not stolen. Someone has found it, The police would not normally be involved in finding " lost " items. If you want to lie and say it was stolen, then you may have a chance of their involvement but a marginal chance. You would also open yourself to charges for giving false information to the police.

If you know where it is, go there with a friend and see if they will surrender it. You can only do this as long as phone is active and you can track it. If they say no, well you can then approach the police but remember, you " lost " it. It was not stolen.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
:arrowu: This. Lost is not stolen. The police will give less than a s**t.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)