• Sep 15th, 2017 6:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 15, 2006
65 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Someone with an umbrella not a fork

Can you please elaborate on "You need someone with an umbrella not a fork"? What does it mean? and what is the original of this statement?
Last edited by covergirl on Sep 13th, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27664 posts
3808 upvotes
Ottawa
I am quite well read and have spoken English (and traveled in many English language countries) all my life and have never heard that expression.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1212 posts
46 upvotes
i think umbrella means protection and fork means prick it making it leaks
don't know where's it from, me not well read!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2071 posts
1101 upvotes
covergirl wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:22 am
Can you please elaborate on "You need someone with an umbrella not a fork"? What does it mean? and what is the original of this statement?
I've never heard that before but if I had to guess, it sounds like relationship advice.

The one who holds the umbrella is someone who's willing to protect you; someone willing to hold that umbrella over your head even at the expense of getting wet themselves.

Forks are not great at stopping the rain. The one holding the fork is a fake. They might enjoy your company or even be a decent friend, but when it "rains", you're going to get wet.

@langong that's a good point. Didn't catch that. For sure that works into the imagery for this idiom. Umbrellas protect you from the elements whereas someone with a fork constantly pokes holes in your ideas/dreams/desires/goals/self-confidence.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6872 posts
1398 upvotes
langong wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:47 am
i think umbrella means protection and fork means prick it making it leaks
don't know where's it from, me not well read!
not sure about umbrellas, but if a raincoat starts to leak from a prick (after some vigorous forking) one needs to invest in a better raincoat.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1354 posts
550 upvotes
Hamilton
ITT: OP is trying to start a new catch phrase.

The internet is the collective pooling of knowledge from all over the world, yet when I type in that saying the first and only thing I can see is this RFD thread.

Gotta try harder than than OP.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2669 posts
169 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:17 am

The internet is the collective pooling of knowledge from all over the world, yet when I type in that saying the first and only thing I can see is this RFD thread.

Blame google for that.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1354 posts
550 upvotes
Hamilton
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:53 am
Things are getting too spicy for the pepper.
Could you turn up the heat? I'm a little Chile.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18848 posts
2437 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Umbrella => Protector
Fork => Stabber
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10854 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
covergirl wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:22 am
Hmm, can't see the video. Anyways, this sounds like something the speaker just made up on the spot. Like bad improv.

In English law, there was a particular contract law case dealing with promissory estoppel with no consideration where it was decided that estoppel was a shield not a sword. Sword and shield are good comparative concepts. "Umbrella vs fork" is a fail in English 100.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1005 posts
526 upvotes
Agree with @Pete_Coach ... Never heard of it (and I do consider myself well read)

Either that or it is direct translation of an expression from another language
(hit the road... OR ... Cul de sac ... Don't translate equally either in French or Englsh, even here in Canada)

Could also be though that someone is making up / improving in hopes that it catches on

The primary problem tho is (as others have said) ... Forks & Umbrellas don't have enough in common to make up a good expression / idiom such as the "salty" play on words that @CensoredByRFD provided above Winking Face
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36357 posts
2370 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:17 am

Is it pehaps something that got lost in translation?
HK Cantonese has tons of expressions and phrases. One time a Cantonese guy translated an HK expression into english. It made no sense... When he said it in Cantonese I rememmeber "oh yeah.... Thats what you mean...".

Example... There is one Cantonese phrase that directly translates as "I will perform a circumcision on you". It sounds CRAZY weird right? But in Cantonese that is suppose to be something that people only say if they're ready to kill you... Like seriously kill you. A popular street gang term.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1354 posts
550 upvotes
Hamilton
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:55 pm
Is it pehaps something that got lost in translation?
HK Cantonese has tons of expressions and phrases. One time a Cantonese guy translated an HK expression into english. It made no sense... When he said it in Cantonese I rememmeber "oh yeah.... Thats what you mean...".

Example... There is one Cantonese phrase that directly translates as "I will perform a circumcision on you". It sounds CRAZY weird right? But in Cantonese that is suppose to be something that people only say if they're ready to kill you... Like seriously kill you. A popular street gang term.
Do I get a choice between circumcision or death?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1316 posts
328 upvotes
Brampton, ON
The phrase means that you need a person who is willing to share their umbrella and not someone who is willing to share their fork.

Because sharing a fork may lead you to being full due to a meal but your chance of coming in contact with germs is high too. On the other hand, sharing an umbrella only leads to good things such as you being dry while it rains.

No problem.