Parenting & Family

Son scratched a car by accident

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 9:24 am
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4674 posts
588 upvotes
The apple doesnt fall far from the tree it seems.

Not surprised that the parents of a couple 20 year olds who chased some 13 year olds are trying to scam you. Id wouldnt be surprised if the car was scratched/dented in a seperate incident but these guys just blamed your kids.

So long as you trust your kid when he says there is no way he could scratch/dent the car I would refuse to pay anything and let the police deal with it,.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2938 posts
993 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You seem to want to make this story fit your own version of reality (when you weren't even there) just to avoid being responsible and paying any damage. Not sure what you were looking for with this post? A pat on the back? Good for you...

Your son's version (which you seem to be changing - now it is 20 year olds) is full of holes like swiss cheese. News flash - kids lie to avoid getting in trouble.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13576 posts
4180 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 9:58 am
Your son's version (which you seem to be changing - now it is 20 year olds) is full of holes like swiss cheese. News flash - kids lie to avoid getting in trouble.
No offense, but the OP clearly has the one child in the world that never lies to their parents. They were just being a good samaritan and moving a Christmas tree that was illegally dumped in a parking lot so it would not cause anyone further harm. After that, they were on their way to save the rain forest if it wasn't for this pesky scratch issue. Now they'll never make it there....
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7961 posts
1108 upvotes
I wouldn't do anything, the police wont get involved with this, and they may sue you, I doubt they will, small claims costs money, depending on your province.

unless you get a filed lawsuit, I would just ignore this, even any demand letter that comes your way can be ignored.
Jan 2, 2015
868 posts
291 upvotes
All I read in this thread is speculation of what actually happened, based on the sons side of the story. Somewhere in there is the truth, which I do not believe anyone in this thread, including the OP knows.

I am all about backing up kids, and I have complete trust on my kids to tell me the truth. The problem is not that kids are not telling their version of the trust, but it's that they are bringing it up from their own perspective. It's up to us as the adult to get down to the FACTs.

The only facts I can really see are:
Son carry tree through parking lot near cars
Car scratched
Some yelling and chasing (unknown what was said or what really happened). Lots of speculation
Kids dropped tree and ran

Everything else is speculation.

If I was in the case, I wouldn't pay for it right away, but if the other party wanted me to pay and contacted me, I would get all parties together, with the adults, get them all the write out their story and then piece the pieces together. Somewhere in there is a version of what happened. If OP and the other people can't do it obejectively, then get a mediator involved. However, if the facts are presented and the OP still doesn't agree, then it doesn't matter, pay up.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1947 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
offer up kid as payment...problem solved for all
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27459 posts
644 upvotes
Dildo, NL
RBosche wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 9:17 pm
..... I fail .....ould do more than a hairline scratch...these are just small evergreen needles that 'may' have touched or scratched the car....
Yes, you do fail.

The good news is even fairly significant scratches can be entirely buffed out. It's impressive.

With what expertise do you claim to know what can or cannot make scratches?

I bet you're the kind of person who thinks finger writing 'clean this car' on a vehicles dusty body doesn't do any harm to the clear coat?

There's a reason people pay big bucks to get their vehicles diamond coated. A car is not indestructible. You can get scratches from the most harmless of surfaces.
???unlim CDN air&msging???unlim Global SMS???CD/VM???8Gb???$45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Tutorial: HotLinking Pics in Posts
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1264 posts
189 upvotes
OP, you could very well check your home insurance policy.

Home insurance will likely have a voluntary payment for damage to property (of others) cause unintentionally (or intentionally by children under a certain age) for up to a certain amount. The amount may be $500 or something, but should be enough to cover the amount here. Depending on the kind of policy you have, this claim may or may not increase your premium as a result.

That being said, while the above is a solution, I'd get the story straight first.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1883 posts
250 upvotes
Edmonton
OP posted this hoping most of the community would really behind him.... It's fairly obvious he's going to try his best not to pay, I don't day it's a bad thing, but he is fairly clueless and needs to educate himself more.

Also while yes most likely the scratches can be buffed out, I would trust the OP to do it as there will probably be more damage.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3515 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Parents like the op is the exact reason We pick up our kids in our beater. It's bad enough there are enough irresponsible kids out there, it's worse their own parents St won't admit fault for their actions.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1638 posts
240 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
How about you take responsibility for a damage your son made, and not look for excuses why you shouldnt pay.
Whatever the reason damage was done, it has to be corrected, no one pushed your son into a car to cause a dent, nor did they grab his hand, put a screwdriver in his hand and made him scratch the car.

You are trying to weasel your way out of this and setting bad example for your son.
May 22, 2016
532 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
We need all the RFD detectives to get together and solve this crime or at least maybe pitch in to hire an accident reconstruction team. Most of the posters most likely have those innocent kids that never do anything wrong but the rest of the neighborhood knows they are terrors.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35795 posts
1984 upvotes
Toronto
cutey130 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:25 pm
What was the point of your original post, if you already have your mind made up? Also, it wouldn't hurt to go see the damage and draw conclusions from actual evidence like the other posters said.
The point is... His guilty conscious needs with affirmation that he is doing the "Right" thing. >=)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1131 posts
384 upvotes
This sounds like a judge Judy case "why are you not responsible? is Byrd responsible? is me, judge Judy responsible? who do you think is responsible for dropping the tree on the persons car? did Byrd drop the tree? did I, judge Judy drop the tree?"

Just wondering, did you see the kids chase your son or did your SON say "oh some guys chased me so I dropped the tree on a car and scratched it"?

I have a feeling your son is just lying, that makes no sense, why would the kids chase your son? did they do it before? did your son provoke them?

Maybe just throw a Christmas tree at your car and see if it gets scratched...if you have a car...

Or take a picture of the 'scratch', if the door is falling off then the tree probably didn't do it...