• Nov 30th, 2011 7:39 pm
Tags:
None
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2317 posts
189 upvotes
More Made in China tires we don't need. That's my opinion! Not something I would put on a vehicle that carries my family members.
sienna owner wrote:
Apr 1st, 2009 8:10 am
just curious if anyone has heard or has any opinion on this brand for all seasons?

http://www.sonnytire.com/Html/en.html

tia
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
mangoman wrote:
Apr 1st, 2009 8:24 am
More Made in China tires we don't need. That's my opinion! Not something I would put on a vehicle that carries my family members.
New brands are popping up all the time. It has come to the point that most tires are now made in China so the comment is unfounded (although stated as an opinion, it has no basis).
Is it as good as most others? I would say yes just because there are DOT standards it has to meet before it can be sold in North America. Is it as good as the so called "premium" brands? Too early to tell. Some out most revered tires nowadays were those dastardly foreign tires before (Pirelli, Michelin, Toyo etc, etc) and over time have become the tires we most choose.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7562 posts
149 upvotes
well the other option is the Toyo Spectrum..

another car needs and options given were Nexen vs Falken
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2317 posts
189 upvotes
Agreed it's an opinion but usually not a good sign when you can't even find a single review online. Definitely too new to tell and I wouldn't choose a Chinese branded tire even if they met DOT standards (so did the Bridgestone/Firestones). My anti-Chinese made products stance has more to do with just the "quality" aspect (althought that's definitely there too) - it has more to do with supporting manufacturers that don't really do anything to ensure employee working conditions/standards, never mind environmental policy.

Btw - there seems to be two spellings of Sonny/Sunny tires out there but both seem to be owned by the same South China Rubber & Tire co. who make both Nexen and Wanli as well.

Btw - the Toyo Spectrums do seem to be manufactured in China as well (sad to see that happening).

I'd choose Falken over Nexen. (and falkens tend to be made in thailand or japan) - if they're the Ziex-912's they're nice and quiet (but a little soft in the sidewall when it comes to handling)
Aug 25, 2005
668 posts
28 upvotes
I get page not found.

Sign of a great company? :)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3849 posts
185 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Chinese Tires, lol! No Way my family is getting chinese tires!!!

ps. Spigme, Nokian's product development, administration and marketing functions are located in the Nokia facility in Finland.
The company has two tire manufacturing factories, one in the town of Nokia in Finland and the other one in Vsevolozhsk, Russia. The Russian factory is a new one; the operations started in the summer 2005.

Do Not Buy Chinese tires, stick to a good name brand.
Aug 18, 2009
49 posts
I actually visited a tire shop today to get some quotes for a package for winter. One of the tires I was quoted on was for a Sonny winter tire.

The tread pattern looked very good, and the price was incredible (16" - $600 w/steelies), but I'm not sure I'm comfortable going in this direction.

You get what you pay for; tires are not something I would recommend skimping on.

I know the question was in relation to all seasons, but this seemed somewhat relevant.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7562 posts
149 upvotes
rackman wrote:
Sep 19th, 2009 7:56 pm
I actually visited a tire shop today to get some quotes for a package for winter. One of the tires I was quoted on was for a Sonny winter tire.

The tread pattern looked very good, and the price was incredible (16" - $600 w/steelies), but I'm not sure I'm comfortable going in this direction.

You get what you pay for; tires are not something I would recommend skimping on.

I know the question was in relation to all seasons, but this seemed somewhat relevant.
tread pattern is only one part of a good tire...whether for all season or winter, etc....compound and manufacturing...or just as important...LOL
but yes...you get what you pay for (in most situations)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3849 posts
185 upvotes
Guelph, ON
OP, what did you end up getting?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7008 posts
68 upvotes
Nepean
sixer wrote:
Sep 19th, 2009 6:30 pm
Chinese Tires, lol! No Way my family is getting chinese tires!!!

ps. Spigme, Nokian's product development, administration and marketing functions are located in the Nokia facility in Finland.
The company has two tire manufacturing factories, one in the town of Nokia in Finland and the other one in Vsevolozhsk, Russia. The Russian factory is a new one; the operations started in the summer 2005.

Do Not Buy Chinese tires, stick to a good name brand.
so what happen when all the major brand start producing tires in China?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3507 posts
281 upvotes
TenzoR wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 8:00 am
so what happen when all the major brand start producing tires in China?
Eventually probably but not with the new tariffs Obama imposed.

Just about everything is everywhere else designed but manufactured in China. It's funny how much stuff we get is from there, I bet you some of the food you think is Canadian or US made is from China due lenient labelling regulations.
Feb 28, 2004
249 posts
19 upvotes
Looking for a set of winter tire for my SUV(Nissan Pathfinder) recently, went to Fountain tire this morning, Sales person in store recommend their goodyear silentarmor all-terrain tire to instead of winter tire. He told me use all-terrain tire and you don't need to switch back and forth from all season tire to winter tire every year.

I have little knowadge about tires, my questions are as following:

1. what is all terrain tire? what is the difference between "all-terrain" and "All season" tire?

2. If I put this all terrain tires on all the year, will it cause big gas milage loss when compared with all season tire I am using now?

Anyone's input is hightly appreciated................

Sorry, my topic go to new thread here:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=792378
× < >