Home & Garden

Sonoma / Sonar Hard Top Sun Shelter from Costco - Do you own one?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2016 6:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes

Sonoma / Sonar Hard Top Sun Shelter from Costco - Do you own one?

Yes we are months away from needing this but I just wanted to know if you purchased one of these from Costco, I'm looking at the 10x12 version.

Right now the price on Costco.ca is 1199, or 1299 with the curtains.

Were you happy with this purchase, I don't think I've seen a nice looking Shelter, is it worth having the curtain? I think by default they come with the Mosquito net.

how much did you pay for it in store? I'm sure it gets cheaper than this. Also does it come in box sizes small enough to fir in a minivan?

Will it survive a Quebec winter? or will I have to remove the hard top or anything annoying like that?

I guess I'll have to drill this in to my Uni stone, so I hope this thing lasts forever as I'll be stuck with those screw holes in the stone.
84 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes
Couple of weird things here on the Costco.ca site.

The 10x12 Sonoma Sun Shelter with curtains is $1199 online http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA

The 10x12 Sonoma Sun Shelter without curtains is $1299
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA

The 10x12 Curtain bought as an add-on is $259
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1

SO It's strange they would sell the one without the curtain for more than the one with the curtain, and what's with the cost of buying the curtain on its own.

If you look at the details of the curtain, it says 1100 hours of UV protection. So if I factor in there is 10 hours of UV rays a day, that's only 110days of protection, so basically only 1 summer worth of UV protection and then it is no longer effective? can that be?

Did yours fade at all, either the structure, the netting, or the hard top?

Anyone know the cost of these in store? I guess that would be hard ot know now since they probably only starting putting these out in March.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes
Still looking for feedback, there have got to be people on this forum that own this one, it's the best deal going around for this quality type shelter.

I'd also like to know how you guys installed this to the ground, I really don't want to have to bolt it to the ground as you would be left with holes in your uni stone if you decided to change this down the line in a few years.
Feb 21, 2008
2 posts
Ottawa
Costco is selling through inventory left over from last year of the Sonoma. They have a new one coming out later this year. It is more or less the same thing but they are calling it the Sonar sun shelter.

I also heard that they will be selling some Winter curtains on Costco.ca for the shelter but not sure when that will be available.

I have not bought one myself but have seen it in store and on their website. It usually cost a bit extra to buy it online but they deliver to your house which is a nice extra. Well worth the extra money if you ask me.
Dec 31, 2006
386 posts
11 upvotes
Greater Tarana Area
I was looking at this one last year in store.. it is very nice and the panels (both netting and privacy) seem to be much more durable than other ones at the big box stores (reflected in a hight price of course!)
I was considering for a replacement for a fabric top Rona sunshelter, the roof degraded and ripped after 4 summers (it was packed away each fall). Now the fabric sides are still in fair condition... and I would expect the Costco to last much, much longer based on the weight of them and the price.
The side panels are great if you want privacy from neighbors, or if you want to sit in it when it is raining, but otherwise probably not required.

I'd like to know the durability of the roof
Up to 100% OFF
Dec 17, 2006
22 posts
3 upvotes
Brockville
I hesitated on this when it was on sale last year. I think I saw it down to "$900". If there is any sightings of this on clearance I would appreciate a heads up on a location. The link above is dead now so maybe the supply has moved to local stores..

Thanks..
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1125 posts
267 upvotes
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... 94&topnav=

So it looks like it dropped $100.. can anyone review if worth it? I found some mixed reviews on the older model - but mostly american. Seems that it is a pretty good quality shelter but extremely complicated to assemble.

I am most concerned whether or not it is worth spending the extra cash over a cloth shelter as I would like to keep the roof up all winter, however I'd like to hear from a fellow Canuck if this thing could really handle the snow.
Jun 23, 2007
43 posts
3 upvotes
Crappy roof, I got hail damage, a ***** to assemble. otherwise OK
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes
shade69 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 7:51 pm
Crappy roof, I got hail damage, a ***** to assemble. otherwise OK
Did structure, ceiling, or netting discolour at all over the course of the time you have owned it?

I will be placing this over newly installed Unistone, do I actually have to drill anchors through the legs to keep this thing grounded? I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that since it will damage the stone.

Did you purchase the curtains too by any chance? just wanted to know if they are worth it.

Lastly, would be cool if anyone can report what the in store price is this season for the 10x12 model.

thanks
Jun 23, 2007
43 posts
3 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 9:05 pm
Did structure, ceiling, or netting discolour at all over the course of the time you have owned it?

I will be placing this over newly installed Unistone, do I actually have to drill anchors through the legs to keep this thing grounded? I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that since it will damage the stone.

Did you purchase the curtains too by any chance? just wanted to know if they are worth it.

Lastly, would be cool if anyone can report what the in store price is this season for the 10x12 model.

thanks
The netting is great, super sturdy, so are the curtins. You would need to anchor it for safety. I've had mine for 2 years, you only have to remove the curtins and netting in the winter. The only downside is the roof, I have about 200 holes in it from hail damage, real ugly, but it doesn't leak because of the 2 layered Corrugated polycarbonate sheet roof. I paid 1200. at Rona.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes
shade69 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 10:25 pm
The netting is great, super sturdy, so are the curtins. You would need to anchor it for safety. I've had mine for 2 years, you only have to remove the curtins and netting in the winter. The only downside is the roof, I have about 200 holes in it from hail damage, real ugly, but it doesn't leak because of the 2 layered Corrugated polycarbonate sheet roof. I paid 1200. at Rona.
Oh you shelled out the extra cash for the curtains, was it worth it? you use them?

In the description it says this thing is safe for winter (I think), does the warranty not cover the hail damage? or were you supposed to remove the roof portion for the winter?

Do you think I could get away with anchring it in a way that doesn't require drilling? like stone or something in the place where it has to be screwed in?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 8:57 am
Do you think I could get away with anchring it in a way that doesn't require drilling? like stone or something in the place where it has to be screwed in?
One that has empty posts that you could fill with sand would be perfect.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2462 posts
74 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 9:19 am
One that has empty posts that you could fill with sand would be perfect.
Yeah for sure, that would be ideal. I mean who knows what the longevity of this product is. I know my Unistone will be there forever, I know you can't say the same about this product and I just don't want to have screw holes where it was anchored to the ground.

Although I'm sure there will always be other 10x12 structures like these around, and will the legs line up with this..probably, I'm probably over thinking this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 4:15 pm
Yeah for sure, that would be ideal. I mean who knows what the longevity of this product is. I know my Unistone will be there forever, I know you can't say the same about this product and I just don't want to have screw holes where it was anchored to the ground.
Plus, I don't know how strong interlock is to vertical pull.. a good wind could still lift it since it's only attached to a few small stones.
I'm in the same situation as you and am avoiding these things at all cost due to that same issue..
Jun 23, 2007
43 posts
3 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 8:57 am
Oh you shelled out the extra cash for the curtains, was it worth it? you use them?

In the description it says this thing is safe for winter (I think), does the warranty not cover the hail damage? or were you supposed to remove the roof portion for the winter?

Once the roof is on it would be a ***** to take off. stands up to snow real well. 1 year warranty, to late to change the roof. there is a flat piece of metal that jets out from the legs you can put some heavy stone pavers around the legs, I guess it would hold, the curtain is strong, but pretty useless, very dark.
× < >