Home & Garden

Sonoma / Sonar Hard Top Sun Shelter from Costco - Do you own one?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2016 6:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2819 posts
113 upvotes
fatcat99 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2010 1:17 pm
I picked one up last year - it survived the winter very well, looks great. Only caviats, 10 x 12 is the roof size, the support posts are inset from the roof so you actually end up with a smaller footprint, like 8.5 x 10.5. Assembly was a pita, took me 8 hours.
Very good point on the sizing, and thanks for confirming the quality. I was suprised by the previous poster's message, I've only heard good things about this shelter.

How many people do you think can reasonably fit in the shelter if I was able to find a table that made use of all the available space?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2819 posts
113 upvotes
I don't see it listed at all on Costco's website.
Apr 21, 2010
59 posts
39 upvotes
Sudbury
Has anyone else purchased this shelter lately? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth paying the extra money to get this hardtop model or am I better off just buying a fabric top model and replacing it more often?
Oct 8, 2002
606 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
My dad bought it recently at the Barrie location, $899. Saw it for the same price in Etobicoke.
Will put it up tomorrow, maybe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2819 posts
113 upvotes
Quick_lude wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2010 9:56 am
My dad bought it recently at the Barrie location, $899. Saw it for the same price in Etobicoke.
Will put it up tomorrow, maybe.
Hey that's super cheap, I got a hold os a local store and they confirmed the $899 price, a previous poster said it would be impossible to get this inside a minivan, did anyone manage to?
May 3, 2010
1 posts
Charleston, SC
Hello Everyone. I am new to this site. Last year Costco had a HUGE Aluminum Hard Top Sun Shelter inside thier store hear in Charleston. It can't remember the price but it was between 1-2 thousand dollars. It was a dark brown or bronz in color with hollow post or columns. This year I can't find it anywhere! This year I see something called the NAPA 10x12 hard top shelter for $999.99 but it's sold out with no picture. Thus I have no way of knowing if it was the same one or not. It also says it will not be available anymore this year. So I went on a search. Went to www.Costo.ca and they have one called the Sonar 10x12 hard top shelter. Again it's sold out at 1099.99 and no pic. It just says currently unavailable. Soooo not sure of the difference between Costco.com and Costco.ca is. SO I am wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to find this shelter? :confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2819 posts
113 upvotes
I have not seen these online or in store for well over a month now, has anyone else?
May 17, 2006
456 posts
24 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
May 17th, 2010 2:09 pm
I have not seen these online or in store for well over a month now, has anyone else?
Well, they're in stock in Moncton, if you fancy a drive. Didn't look at the price as I wasn't interested in it.
Dec 10, 2006
289 posts
2 upvotes
Brrr wrote:
May 17th, 2010 3:54 pm
Well, they're in stock in Moncton, if you fancy a drive. Didn't look at the price as I wasn't interested in it.
Its on display on kanata costco but I didn't notice if there were any there to buy or not. But the price there is $899. I've been trying to decide between this one and a soft cover at Rona. Still not sure
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2819 posts
113 upvotes
To those that have owned this for more than 2 seasons, has it maintained the same colour throughout? has it faded anywhere on it?
Oct 8, 2002
606 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
DealMakerLoverBreaker wrote:
May 22nd, 2010 11:11 pm
Its on display on kanata costco but I didn't notice if there were any there to buy or not. But the price there is $899. I've been trying to decide between this one and a soft cover at Rona. Still not sure
We have a soft cover one from Rona and it leaks slowly from the seams, it always did. We exchanged it, sprayed it with a spray, no go. Rona gave us another cover fro free, we put both on :) and voila, no leaks.

The hard cover should no leak but it will have to be up all year round since it's a hassle to put it togther, my dad just did it last week.
Jun 11, 2010
1 posts
Seattle, WA
we are considering this shelter. it is available on the US site called "Napa". My question is about the sound- being Seattle and all. How loud is the rain sound on the roof? With summer rains and this being right outside my bedroom window, thought it might be too loud. Any thoughts?
Jun 24, 2010
1 posts
Comox
Purchased this from Costco about a month ago. took my husband and I 6 hours, and the instructions are absolutely terrible. we had to undo a bunch of work to finish it (SLIDE 3 BOLTS INTO THE INTERIOR TRACKS BEFORE YOU PUT THE ROOF ALL TOGETHER, YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR THE BRACE PIECES), but the end results are worth it. we bolted it down to our concrete patio, but you could bolt it into concrete blocks and set it on your patio. it really has to be bolted down though - we live on Vancouver island so very windy. I have never been so in love with an outdoor structure in my life. it looks AMAZING (Worth every penny of the $899) and it really saves us from the intense sun we get in our yard. I put my own curtains in, we don't need the bug curtains - not many bugs here.
It is very lovely once up. yes some of pieces are not aluminum, I would suggest spraying the base feet with a rust proof spray - as they are not aluminum, but we haven't seen how it will winter yet. You could replace the roof pieces, lots of sign shops can order in that corrugated PVC and you could have all the pieces cut to the right dimensions to replace.

On the box it mentions a tarpaulin cover that goes over top of the unit with a flap door on it to access the interior. I really want this cover so it will last longer... has anyone seen or heard of the cover? the winter curtains are not going to be good enough...
Banned
Dec 24, 2009
314 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa and GTA
amandzuk wrote:
Jun 25th, 2010 4:23 pm
Purchased this from Costco about a month ago. took my husband and I 6 hours, and the instructions are absolutely terrible. we had to undo a bunch of work to finish it (SLIDE 3 BOLTS INTO THE INTERIOR TRACKS BEFORE YOU PUT THE ROOF ALL TOGETHER, YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR THE BRACE PIECES), but the end results are worth it. we bolted it down to our concrete patio, but you could bolt it into concrete blocks and set it on your patio. it really has to be bolted down though - we live on Vancouver island so very windy. I have never been so in love with an outdoor structure in my life. it looks AMAZING (Worth every penny of the $899) and it really saves us from the intense sun we get in our yard. I put my own curtains in, we don't need the bug curtains - not many bugs here.
It is very lovely once up. yes some of pieces are not aluminum, I would suggest spraying the base feet with a rust proof spray - as they are not aluminum, but we haven't seen how it will winter yet. You could replace the roof pieces, lots of sign shops can order in that corrugated PVC and you could have all the pieces cut to the right dimensions to replace.

On the box it mentions a tarpaulin cover that goes over top of the unit with a flap door on it to access the interior. I really want this cover so it will last longer... has anyone seen or heard of the cover? the winter curtains are not going to be good enough...

Picture of it or it never happened
Mar 4, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
Well, the gazebo is up, looks great. Love it. Hubby put it together himself working a few hours each day over a period of three days. Worked out a few probs/kinks and now it's fantastic.

My question now is: I see Costco has the Lunar sun shelter light on the website. It says it has a 15'+/- cord to be plugged into outlet. Our problem is we don't have an outside outlet on our house (?duh) so wld need to plug into heavy duty outside extension cord.

Anyone had any experience with this? Is it safe? Any other lights out there that can be plugged into an extension cord? thanks. L.

Bought the winter curtains too. Not that I want winter to arrive anytime soon... we haven't even started summer yet here in Calgary....