Sony A6000 Kit Lens vs Sony RX100 III

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2017 1:45 pm
Oct 3, 2012
121 posts
21 upvotes
Scarborough

Sony A6000 Kit Lens vs Sony RX100 III

I was wondering if I don't plan to upgrade the 16-55mm lens on the Sony a6000 to something better should I get the RX100 III or A6000? I am new to photography so by the time I do want better lens I will just by a new camera. I plan to use these camera for travelling and take architecture pictures.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
You gain a bit of depth of field and lowlight noise advantage with the larger sensor in the A6000, whereas the RX100III is more portable. If you really have no intention of getting primes or better zooms, I'd stick with the RX. Composition and editing are bigger factors given you're not changing lenses.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
There isn't much advantage to the A6000 if you never switch lenses. If you do switch a much sharper prime lens, then that's when the A6000 shines.

Technically, you lose about 2 stops of light sensitivity with the A6000 kit lens on the widest angle, but the much larger sensor will gain back 2 stops, so it balances out pretty evenly.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
I had the a6000 for 2 years
recently got the rx100

the ergonomics on the rx is pretty terrible, but understandstable given its size
well-lit conditions the RX is noticeably better since superior optics
low light is worse due to its small sensor....I didn't use the 16-50mm kit lens much in low light so I cant remember how bad it was

I think a6000 is the better camera for beginners...it's much more flexible if you decide to grow into it. It also has phase-detection AF where RX100 III doesn't if you want to shoot dogs/kids/sports
RX is more casual or an on-the-go toy for those who don't want to lug around a larger camera.

dollar-for-dollar the a6000 is the better value by quite a bit.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 3, 2012
121 posts
21 upvotes
Scarborough
Thank you for everyone's response. I haven't exactly decide if i would change lens in the future. If it would be too costly I might not. I probably would spend about 300 extra just for better lens that is my budget for the A6000.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
redfox2 wrote: Thank you for everyone's response. I haven't exactly decide if i would change lens in the future. If it would be too costly I might not. I probably would spend about 300 extra just for better lens that is my budget for the A6000.
keep in mind that if you want to buy a lens for the A6000, the first one you should buy is a prime lens. Prime means there is no zoomability, you pick one field of view (magnification) and to zoom, you walk further and backward to the subject. The reason to buy a prime is that prime lenses are super sharp and lets in lots of light compared to the kit lens. Most photographers get at least one prime lens.

In order to get the most out of a camera, you really need to know what the basic terms mean, f-stop/aperture, ISO, focal length, shutter speed. If you want to adjust those things, the A6000 with its better controls makes it easier to do so. If you plan to leave it in auto mode, the A6000 won't really have any advantage because they both have the same auto modes.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Oct 3, 2012
121 posts
21 upvotes
Scarborough
Right now I am reading up about the aperture, iso, etc. I agree with A6000 the controls are better to learn these. I am leaning on A6000 since I might be able to get it cheaper than the RX100 M3 plus more opportunity to grow as a photographer.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
redfox2 wrote: Right now I am reading up about the aperture, iso, etc. I agree with A6000 the controls are better to learn these. I am leaning on A6000 since I might be able to get it cheaper than the RX100 M3 plus more opportunity to grow as a photographer.
I had an RX100IV, it was a bit ergonomically awkward even after adding a grip, I'd prefer using an A series.

While initially you'll be able to get the A6000+kit less than the RX100III, the native Sony lenses are pricey. For architecture, barring the expensive SEL1018, you might be going for a Rokinon 12mm (18mm equivalent) which is on sale right now at BH for $375CDN. Keeping in mind you can't go wider than 24mm equiv on the RX100III anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)