• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 4:02 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
962 posts
469 upvotes

Sony A6000 vs Olympus Mk10 ii

Currently I have a Canon XS DSLR

I’d like to get a mirrorless camera without breaking the bank.

I was looking at these two options. I mostly take family pictures, vacations, etc. The odd time sport pics.

What are your thoughts or suggestions between these two?
11 replies
May 5, 2010
970 posts
278 upvotes
Without breaking the bank, I'll go with the Olympus. There are more options for cheaper lenses for MFT than Sony's.

I don't own a MFT, but I do have a Sony A6000. My experience is that it is light and makes amazing pictures and for it's price of the body, it is a really good value. The big problem is the lenses, they are expensive. Their 35mm F1.8 cost $500+.
Feb 12, 2017
26 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
The lower starting prices and wider selection of Micro Four Thirds lenses is a big advantage over Sony. Also, an Olympus camera with a lens mounted tends to be smaller and lighter than a Sony combination. Finally, Panasonic cameras can use Olympus lenses or vice versa so you have many future upgrade options.
Last edited by Kevin3840 on Jul 11th, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
962 posts
469 upvotes
Cool, thanks.

Now I’m on the hunt for a good Olympus deal
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11335 posts
2184 upvotes
Ottawa
MFT does have the advantage of larger selection of good inexpensive lenses, and they tend to be more compact as well.

Also Olympus cameras have an excellent In-Body-Image-Stabilization (IBIS) which removes camera shake no matter which lens you put on it. It works great for video too. With Sony A6000, you only get stabilization if you buy lenses that have OSS built-in (some of their lenses include this feature). You have to step up to the A6500 to get IBIS

The main disadvantage of MFT is the sensor is smaller, so you don't get quite as good performance in low light, and also less depth of field effect (background out of focus) at the same settings.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
if still photography is a hobby, the Om-D seems like a fabulous system

but if you only care for the end result, it's hard to beat Sony in the mirrorless realm given your budget
glue on a Siggy 1.4/30 (300ish USD) and you're golden...sure you could maybe save 200$ by going with the Oly but I doubt it'll be in the same calibre as this setup

Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 6, 2004
412 posts
17 upvotes
I used to have an Olympus EM10 Mk I (not II), sold it and bought an open box a6000 from Bestbuy to try out. I eventually returned it as well. Now I have a Fuji XE2 with couple prime lenses (18/2 and 35/2). Here are some of my personal findings / opinions:
  • the 24mp sensor on a6000 is really good - colour rendition and noise control
  • focusing on a6000 is really really fast, even with kit lens (micro 4/3 focusing is already pretty fast, but Sony is even faster)
  • ergonomic-wise, the EM10 feels much more like a camera than the a6000; to me, the a6000 felt more like a piece of electronics than a camera, which led to me returning it
  • as someone else already mentioned, the lens selection in the Sony lineup is pricey for the quality; m43 system has a more mature, wider, and cheaper lineup (new and used)
my current Fuji XE2 produces very good image, with with out-of-camera JPEGs. I only do stills and not video so it's low capability doesn't affect me. I miss the focusing speed of m43 though :)
have fun and best of luck on finding your next camera
Dec 10, 2017
21 posts
14 upvotes
Sony a6000 for sure with Sigma lenses which are cheaper then sony lenses. Great travel camera.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1630 posts
644 upvotes
ontario
twitchyzero wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 6:10 am
if still photography is a hobby, the Om-D seems like a fabulous system

but if you only care for the end result, it's hard to beat Sony in the mirrorless realm given your budget
glue on a Siggy 1.4/30 (300ish USD) and you're golden...sure you could maybe save 200$ by going with the Oly but I doubt it'll be in the same calibre as this setup

The sigma 30 1.4 is also available in MFT mount.

OP another vote for olympus for all the reasons mentioned already.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5490 posts
1999 upvotes
Canada
+1 for Olympus.
More mature system, good balance of picture quality/size/ergonomics/cost etc

A6000 is old now. Missing lots of features. And Sony's focus is Full Frame.
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:45 pm
The sigma 30 1.4 is also available in MFT mount.

OP another vote for olympus for all the reasons mentioned already.
good to know
carry on then...I agree with everyone else...Sony is not great if on a budget
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
962 posts
469 upvotes
I’m on the look for a good deal on one