Hot Deals

Sony A7II with 28-70mm lens for $998 USD. EDIT: Adorama ships to Canada. EDIT2: Extended.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 7:12 pm
Oct 12, 2011
473 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Spinifex wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:06 pm
That said, It's a good set-up for someone who wants 1 camera, 1 lens. Being an early adopter in Sony NEX series, I will not be buying again into their system: I simply have no confidence in their lenses.
Can you elborate more on this? Was it their lens way over prized? What lens do you currently have? Ever consider Sigma Art lenses as they now make native mount.
Dec 24, 2011
137 posts
111 upvotes
TORONTO, Canada
Digital cameras are duty free, no matter which country it was manufactured. You’ll be paying the taxes only: provincial plus GST.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2015
122 posts
101 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
AforApple wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:00 pm
Can you elborate more on this? Was it their lens way over prized? What lens do you currently have? Ever consider Sigma Art lenses as they now make native mount.
I found the Sony lenses to be of poor optical quality as a rule, though there are a few that are quite good. I have abandoned the E-Mount system before it went Full-Frame and before Sigma supported the system, and have moved on to Fuji XF-Mount. It's an APS-C system, which is fine by me: I think most FF lenses for mirrorless camera are simply too bulky for what I like to do with my camera: taking pictures while hiking or walking around.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2983 posts
427 upvotes
Markham, ON
RaiderX wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:02 pm
Digital cameras are duty free, no matter which country it was manufactured. You’ll be paying the taxes only: provincial plus GST.
That's called HST
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Sep 2, 2016
237 posts
114 upvotes
Good for someone who is just starting out and who will pretty much only be taking family pictures?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2165 posts
662 upvotes
Deal if you get extra 4 batteries as you will need them.

I have great experience with A7 series but lens selection is slim and expensive.
Mar 11, 2008
224 posts
202 upvotes
London
AforApple wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 11:22 am
Hi Mruble,
I am looking at this camera and had spend a good bit of time in Bestbuy playing with it but couldnt under stand the focus system.

What ive found is that the camera uses 100% contrast detection on all single-shot (AF-S ) focus setting and user selectable focus points.

The camera only goes to phase-dection on Containue focus with non-selective focus points?

Can you confirm this is ?

What Im looking for is user selectable focus points in phase-detection focus mode.

Also, how s the eye-dection focus?

TIA
As far as the phase vs contrast focus... I don't think I know enough to give you an informed answer. Sorry. Yes, options can sometimes be lost in the menu system so it's possible I'm missing the answer to your question but while I understand the difference between phase and contrast focus, I don't really know when my camera would be doing one or the other. Half the time I'm using manual focus.

Eye focus is great but the caveat is that it only works on supported lenses, which (in my experience) is limited to native Sony FE glass. I have Sony and Sigma A mount with a Sony adapter and it does not work with them. I reassigned a button to give easy access to eye auto focus.
Jul 12, 2010
426 posts
66 upvotes
Interesting deal... price is great... but camera wise its kinds of like in a weird situation. would put this under even worst than canon eOS -R and nikon Z6 ... and those cameras are getting major flake as trash cams unless you are heavily invested in the glass already and want mirrorless ...

I don't see which customer it's good for... Rather push people to like a Sony rx100 mark 5 if you just want an AIO system for shooting casual kids/ travel stuff. Sure its a FF camera but batteries/ crappy focus system really expensive lens that are pro grade lvl- is a hard sell for early beginners/ amatures. Maybe get a canon line up as kijiji lens prices are so low to complete a kit.
Sigma glass not only is unbalanced/ heavy, from what I've seen on reviews just seem to be a tier under and don't focus as fast or as consistently as 1st party/ tamron 28-75 is.

Sony A7III on the other hand is leaps and bounds better but triple the price like 2900 after tax and low in supply still. I still would recommend save your money and pony up for the 3 or some used version somehow later.

You would have to be like sony guy that wants a spare body and wanna use the sony app for like time lapses on this camera I feel is the best case scenario to buy this.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7766 posts
276 upvotes
Dmbpjfan wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:12 pm
Good for someone who is just starting out and who will pretty much only be taking family pictures?
Maybe just use your phone.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Dec 29, 2013
426 posts
174 upvotes
Montr
I’d give this a thought if I could stand Sony colors.
I dislike Sony color rendering
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1112 posts
533 upvotes
Victoria
www.adorama.com/isoa7m2kb.html
This looks like a better deal? Another $30 usd and includes way more stuff. Tripod... Extra battery... Some photo software... Etc.

Thoughts?
May 13, 2015
128 posts
62 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I'll try to explain this to people who might not be photographers.

There is a new Sony A7 iii which was released this year and is $2800 at best buy with the lens right now. This camera, the A7 ii is the previous version of that camera which best buy sells for $1700 right now ($200 sale from $1900). So anything cheaper than $1700 is a good deal if this is what you're looking to get.

This is a full-frame camera which refers to the size of the sensor... and pros use full-frame. So this would have been a pro-quality camera a few years ago. People just getting into photography generally start with smaller sensor cameras because they're much cheaper and the lenses are cheaper too.

So if you're just starting out and looking to take some nice family photos or whatever, I would say that this is way overkill. You could get something for less than half the price that takes really nice photos and video. This is a good deal right now, but it's not such a good deal that you should buy it ASAP and ask questions later. There are lot of factors to consider when buying a camera.

If your budget is around $1500 - $2000... then this is probably the best deal right now. But you can get started out in photography and videography for a lot less money. The lenses that you would want with this camera are expensive... whereas if you buy an entry level APS-C, there will be some cheap lens options for you.

Boxing day normally has good deals on cameras too.
Sep 16, 2013
478 posts
177 upvotes
SW ON
EnyCe wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:03 pm
That's called HST
Ha-ha. You know, there are other provinces besides Ontario where there is no HST.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3784 posts
1167 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dmbpjfan wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:12 pm
Get pixel 3 XL for that.
The problem of camera for family photo is that it is never around when you need it!
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine