Art and Photography

Sony Alpha Lens Questions (and general lens questions)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2008 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote

Sony Alpha Lens Questions (and general lens questions)

Hey all, I just picked up my new A200, and I'm starting the hunt for a few more lenses... I'm not looking for anything amazing, just cheaper starter lenses that I can use to learn.

I'm looking for
1) Telephoto lens, something in the 75-300mm range

For this I can either wait and hope Black's has the a200 sale again where they have the 2 lens kit with the 75-300mm sony lens, and then grab the sony lens for the difference (~$120) or I could look somewhere else for a used lens

Looking around ebay in that price range I've found a few options such as
a) Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 (a bit cheaper)
b) Minolta Maxxum 70-300mm f4-5.6 (a bit more expensive)
c) Off brands like Sigma, Quantaray etc have their own 70-300mm lenses, are these garbage or worth looking at?

2) Wide angle lens
I'm not sure what I want for this, it just is something I might want, I haven't looked at all yet at what there is used for this purpose...

3) Prime lens?
Firstly, what is the benefit of a prime lenses, the ability to get low f-stops? I've found a few on ebay, and I've seen a few recommendations to get the Maxxum 50mm f1.7 lens? Is this worth getting?

Thanks in advance!
3 replies
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
Also, where else should I look for lenses other than ebay, are there any forums for the southern ontario region (I'm sure there is...)

Thanks
Dec 20, 2006
558 posts
37 upvotes
Have you determined yet what you like to take pictures of ? That 50 prime would be a good portrait lens, and the wide angle is especially good for landscape shots and other creative shots.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
Landscapes, and some action photography of auto racing are the main things I have been doing in the past, however I want to possibly get into other areas as well, but obviously I won't be shooting portraits etc very much compared to the others.