PC & Video Games

Sony announces successor to Blu-Ray Disc format (up to 1TB of data).

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2014 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes

Sony announces successor to Blu-Ray Disc format (up to 1TB of data).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-a ... 0-6418200/

Apparently Sony's Blu-Rays are receiving a successor, with a new name, "AD", meaning "Archival Disc", to launch next Summer (2015)

They will start with a capacity of 300GB per disc, and will move to 500GB and 1 TB.

Archival Disc systems will launch in summer 2015, with the first versions featuring 300GB of storage capacity--that's 6X the capacity of current 50GB Blu-rays. Sony will expand recording capacity per disc to 500GB and 1TB sometime later, though specific timing was not announced.

"In recent times, demand for archival capabilities has increased significantly in the film industry, as well as in cloud data centers that handle big data, where advances in network services have caused data volumes to soar," Sony said in a statement.

The new Archival Discs are write-once and are double-sided with three layers per side.
Not sure if this will be compatible with current versions of PS4, as there is no information about whether a new lens will be required (I'm assuming a new lens would be required .)
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
30 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10680 posts
616 upvotes
Scarborough
even in 2015 this will be too early and will be tough to gain traction.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
Agreed. Blu Ray will be the standard for at the very least the next five years, I imagine. I think we should probably stop thinking PS4 and start thinking more in line with the storage needed for 4K media, which this is perfect for.

The hope from media companies is to eventually migrate everything to online managed content not the next generation of optical media. Online content reduces piracy and maximizes profitability and control, so there really isn't a need for a higher grade of optical storage medium at this point.
If we're talking about including this into entertainment products, I think we're talking PS5, rather than the current next generation consoles, which will be many years down the line. Even then I don't think it's really an applicable option. Cloud storage and streaming content will be the norm by then.

Saying that though - there will be plenty of interest from video production companies. High capacity offline archival media is always welcome.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Sounds like more on the business side then the consumer side of things. But future potential for 4K for sure, looks like they want to prepare to dominate the 4K movie format disc as they did with 1080p with the Blu-Ray disc.
Mar 14, 2008
440 posts
102 upvotes
Wonder how slow the read speeds will be.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5040 posts
733 upvotes
calgary
Has blu-ray even become the standard?
Seems like DVD's are still more popular
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 10th, 2014 11:31 am
Has blu-ray even become the standard?
Seems like DVD's are still more popular
For High-Definition video yes, there is no other disc-format you can buy to watch HD movies except blu-ray. Plus PS4 and X1 using it, so it's pretty much the standard for console gaming as well as HD film. Not sure about it's application outside film and gaming though.

This could make sense for 4K future though, I never thought about that. 50GB is not enough for a full movie in 4K resolution.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28913 posts
2115 upvotes
Winnipeg
what's the space requirement for full movie in 4k? is 300gb enough?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
divx wrote:
Mar 10th, 2014 12:01 pm
what's the space requirement for full movie in 4k? is 300gb enough?
Quick google shows me around 100gb to 200GB depending on the movie. So 300GB should be enough for a normal length movie and a bit of extra content thrown in as well I think.
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
4K is a stunning waste of money at this point. Nothing supports it, all you will get is massive upscaling of :

1080p content (if you have PS4)
1080i/720p (if you watch HD channels on Cable or Satellite or Antenna),
720p (if you game on Xbox1 or Xbox 360 or Wii U).

No point at all. And the more the scaling needed, the uglier the picture will look. Don't waste your money on this, stick to 1080p.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19855 posts
3710 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Mostly likely commercial use, not for the consumer.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2458 posts
465 upvotes
Scarborough
Quadruple layer BD are supposedly capable of up 128GB of storage. There was also even a prototype BD capable of 200GB in the earlier days of BD.

They should be trying to maximize that technology instead of moving to a much more expensive and not yet really needed technology.
Aug 20, 2009
6671 posts
1314 upvotes
Grimsby
This isn't intended for consumers, physical media is pretty much done after Bluray.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17037 posts
420 upvotes
TDotHacker wrote:
Mar 10th, 2014 1:40 pm
Quadruple layer BD are supposedly capable of up 128GB of storage. There was also even a prototype BD capable of 200GB in the earlier days of BD.

They should be trying to maximize that technology instead of moving to a much more expensive and not yet really needed technology.
That's what I thought too. I was under the impression that 100 gig disc's were not an issue at all and that all blue ray players could do it...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3712 posts
383 upvotes
Ottawa
Redmask wrote:
Mar 10th, 2014 2:10 pm
This isn't intended for consumers, physical media is pretty much done after Bluray.
I think that there will still be a market for optical media sales; it just won't be as big as it was for DVD/bluray. It'll probably be more like vhs was.

What I really hope they get rid of is Prohibited User Operations and let the movie start as soon as you put the disc in.

P