Art and Photography

Sony E mount (body) to Nikon F mount (lens)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2013 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2458 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan

Sony E mount (body) to Nikon F mount (lens)

Hi, I am consider picking up this new so called Sony A7/A7R FF nex camera. Although I know its not officially released, but had a question about using Nikon lenses on Sony E mount cameras. If I buy an adapter to use a Nikon lens, does VR work? I'm assuming AF should work, if the adapter has the correct contacts. I don't think any current nex adapters would work, since they are all aps-c. Looking for suggestions on E mount adapters only.

What is currently the best adapter to use for Nikon F mount lenses?

Also add anything you think I should be aware of.

background info: I have a nikon dslr, thinking jumping ship to sony, but like my nikon lenses, so I would like to use them if possible.

Thanks, Phu.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
3 replies
Mar 29, 2007
525 posts
74 upvotes
-
phuviano wrote:
Oct 9th, 2013 4:45 pm
Hi, I am consider picking up this new so called Sony A7/A7R FF nex camera. Although I know its not officially released, but had a question about using Nikon lenses on Sony A mount cameras. If I buy an adapter to use a Nikon lens, does VR work? I'm assuming AF should work, if the adapter has the correct contacts. I don't think any current nex adapters would work, since they are all aps-c. Looking for suggestions on A mount adapters only.

What is currently the best adapter to use for Nikon F mount lenses?

Also add anything you think I should be aware of.

background info: I have a nikon dslr, thinking jumping ship to sony, but like my nikon lenses, so I would like to use them if possible.

Thanks, Phu.
From the 10 seconds of searching I did the A7 is going to be E-Mount. Not A-Mount.
You can use your lenses currently on a NEX with an adapter in full manual mode. Unless you're using Minolta AF lenses or Sony A mount lenses with the LAEA2 adapter I dont' think anything will autofocus on a NEX.
Feb 28, 2008
492 posts
33 upvotes
There are no auto focus options as of yet. Depending on how well the NEX-FF sells there may or may not be 3rd party manufacturers making adapters with focusing contacts. For now the only options are manual focus.

The camera's speculated price and functions are really attractive, but better wait a few months to see how things pan out.

I pre-ordered the a99 last year and while I love the camera, a year later there still isn't a firmware update to address it's many issues. Because of that I had to buy into a nikon system to address certain jobs.

I know there's only 3-4 nex-ff lenses so far, might be wise to keep the nikon system for now and see how things work out on the Sony front.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2458 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
Tomatolita wrote:
Oct 9th, 2013 5:06 pm
From the 10 seconds of searching I did the A7 is going to be E-Mount. Not A-Mount.
You can use your lenses currently on a NEX with an adapter in full manual mode. Unless you're using Minolta AF lenses or Sony A mount lenses with the LAEA2 adapter I dont' think anything will autofocus on a NEX.
My bad... I don't know much about sony. Thanks for your advice.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
× < >