• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 7:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
121 upvotes

Sony getting greedy?

I'm hoping to buy whatever is replacing A6000 and they have added cameras at higher price point but no replacements are in sight.

I am finding it frustrating as I cannot renew body at same price point unlike Canon/Nikon which usually pushes out incremental upgrade at same price point annually. Those 5-10% improvements add up over number of years.

A6000 is over 3.5 years old and considering there are under $1000 MFTs that will do 4K videos and such, it's getting tough to spend more money into E mount lenses.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6759 posts
975 upvotes
Some people say the problem with the A6000 was it was "under priced" when compared to other ASP-C camera at that time. Sony then tried to "correct" it by pricing the A6300 and A6500 much higher and where it hurts us even more is the exchange rate went south when they were released as well.

If you are looking for a direct replacement, you should look and wait for deals on the A6300.
Last edited by hdom on Sep 12th, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
121 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:03 pm
Some people say the problem with the A6000 was it was "under priced" when compared to other ASP-C camera at that time. Sony then tried to "correct" it by pricing the A6300 and A6500 much higher and where it hurts us even more is the exchange rate went south when they were released as well.

If you are looking for a direct replacement, you should look and wait for deals on the A6300.
Looking at D5x00/T7i, under $1000 seems appropriate asking price for the level of performance. I renewed body at under $1000 for over 15 years so I've been through 70c-80c exchange rate timing as well.

A6300 seems to be more in line with 70D/80D/7x00 series which is a step above in pricing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6759 posts
975 upvotes
^There was a recent article that relates to why Sony choice to go with feature rich release and not minor improvement like other brands to keep prices low.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/96000 ... ver-profit

There is a bit more in difference comparing A6000 vs A6300, for example, I personally think the continues Eye AF improvement is worth upgrading without going to A7/A9.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
121 upvotes
I find under $1000 market is crucial for home camera buyers. We all know one can spend more money to get more, but the big difference is home users are not under constraint of having to get the picture. If I get a picture that's great, if not there's no loss. I see the better AF is important for those getting paid but I am not. I have zero desire to spend money in 80D/7D mk II cameras and never have, always sticking with Rebels when major improvements were made. I got into Sony and happy with it, it's just that 3.5 years old is putting this model into ancient territory.

It seems the MFT is best suited for home camera and I don't like them because sensors are smaller. The Yi M1 does a lot for price and Pana & Olympus are not far behind with several under $1000 models. I was pretty excited with NEX3, 5, 6, then A6000 but it seems that's where everything stopped. I am stuck between D5x00 series at the expense of going back to SLR size & weight.

on an unrelated note; watching apple livestream about new phone's camera makes me vomit. "there is so much detail in the photo!" shadow is blob of black.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6759 posts
975 upvotes
^While I agree with you since I would to see an update on the A6000 or a sub model like what Fuji/Olympics is doing with their popular cameras.

However, I can understand form Sony's point of view that already have a great sub $1000 camera with the A6000 which is still competitive and in demand, despite it's age.

Probably why Apple is still has the IPhone 6 in their line up, is old but still great in the class.
Dec 25, 2013
98 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
Is the A6000 still a reasonable camera? I've had it for a while and I still like, but I haven't browsed the market much fro newer things..
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3493 posts
288 upvotes
yes it still holds its own...can't think of a better value even going into 2018
I upgraded 2 years ago...but recently found myself back to that platform (the weight and IQ is a nice sweet spot if you travel/doing outdoor things)

but to address your thread title Sony can be regarded as being greedy in the sense that they've moved up-market...just look at the prices of their G-Master lenses and they're gunning for the professionals and claming they're built to resolve future bodies of 100 Megapixels...but they can get away with it because they're so far ahead of the competition in the mirrorless arena
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
121 upvotes
I actually think their advantage is less in upper market. Their size/weight advantage becomes moot once you put on 70-200 which professionals use for weddings and sports.

Their sweet advantage was in casual/travel market but it seems MFT is doing better in that segment despite worse IQ. I really wish Sony would cater to sub $1000 market as there is no other choice. Canon M system has even less lenses and Fuji seems not doing sub $1000 either. The whole using adapter thing, that eliminates mirrorless advantage so no.
May 5, 2010
819 posts
218 upvotes
I understand your frustration as I was also eager for a A6000 replacement without the bell & whistle at around the same price, but I gave that up a long time ago.

Since you said yourself that you don't need continuous eye-AF and stuff like that and you're willing to go back to DSLR, then maybe you should also gave up for the A6000 successor (budget wise) and grab the A6000 itself now. Tell yourself there won't be a successor at this price point.
Here's why: the IQ improvement in A6300 and A6500 VS A6000 is very minor. Like maybe 7-8% better in iso performance and 3-4% in dynamic range. You lose the 4K video, touchscreen and stuff like that, but it is all features that the DSLR you named lack as well. Something that doesn't mean that much to you, I think. The ONLY thing that is aging badly is that EVF, but it's not like unbearable, just low res compared to today' standard. With all that said, for your usage, the A6000 doesn't seem too outdated and you will be happy since you seem to really enjoy the small foot print of mirrorless cameras.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3493 posts
288 upvotes
yeah Sony is not going to return to the sub-1000 market in the foreseeable future
that's more P&S territory now (ie Canon G7/Panasonic LX) and the odd MFT. Is the Yi M1 even available in North America? When it was first announced I was hoping it would dent the APS-C market share
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
121 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:27 pm
yeah Sony is not going to return to the sub-1000 market in the foreseeable future
that's more P&S territory now (ie Canon G7/Panasonic LX) and the odd MFT. Is the Yi M1 even available in North America? When it was first announced I was hoping it would dent the APS-C market share
I see it on BH for $299.

The Canon M3 is $399CAD right now.

Those are exciting cameras with price tag I'd be willing to refresh more often.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10605 posts
1685 upvotes
Ottawa
Sony has been iterating bodies and raising prices with every iteration. Must be working for them since they've done it with A7, RX10, RX100, A6xxx. They keep the old versions in production and you have to pay $$ to get the new features.

I'd like to get the RX100 Mk V but hard to justify paying $1200+ for a point and shoot!
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9858 posts
4231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'd like the 100V too but I sold the IV last year for the iPhone 7Plus and it looks like I'm getting the X now. This sums it up for me:
the iPhone has the ability to interface with your images in a way you just can’t with a dedicated camera, and the computational photographic ability is where the iPhone X starts to pull away from the P&S crowd, and that’s also where we may find what’s coming in photography at large, even on the professional end...
https://www.slrlounge.com/iphone-x-phot ... t-you-see/

It won't replace my paid photography but it's replaced my everyday hobbyist and vacation imaging/vid taking especially in daylight scenarios. I'm finding less reasons to take RAWs into Lightroom on a desktop/laptop to edit and share, when Snapseed and iMovie are so robust, and the whole process is faster to distribute. We're living in a now social world, and it's often not going to print anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6759 posts
975 upvotes
They are cheaper for a reason, a lot of people are still using their a6000 and find no need to upgrade. There are still people buying the a6000 for the first time and people get excited when there is an a6000 post in hot deals, can't say the same about M3.

Look into the RX100 class if you may be able to live with and for more video recording, there is a new RX0, too.
42energy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:25 pm
I see it on BH for $299.

The Canon M3 is $399CAD right now.

Those are exciting cameras with price tag I'd be willing to refresh more often.