• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 7:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 14, 2017
154 posts
120 upvotes
Thanks for reminding they are all greedy companies. MFT manufactures are not greedy today. I am looking for a direction today not at undetermined time in the future.

I disagree as a consumer we should settle for what companies dictate to us. Why develop Android O when you already own 85% of market? By that logic all new startups are pile of garbage jumping into market already covered by established big company. XiaoMi should stop impressing consumers and just disappear.

I think that is enough feedback before this turns into opinions and speculations. Thanks to all who confirmed one way or the other. I am looking at GX85 or the new E-M10 Mark III. Both are under $1000 and does 4K and IBIS. Perfect for people who don't get paid to make videos.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10492 posts
1614 upvotes
Ottawa
42energy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 1:01 pm
Thanks for reminding they are all greedy companies. MFT manufactures are not greedy today.
Well maybe they should be more greedy. Olympus' camera division had a net loss of something like 20+ million dollars last year with sales still dropping and haven't broken even in 5 years. Sony is one of the few that is profitable with healthy profit.

There aren't enough people buying GX85 or EM10Mk3 to turn around declining profits. What they REALLY want you to buy is a GH5 or EM1Mk2. Maybe what Sony is doing is right, they don't waste R&D and marketing dollars on a A6000 priced camera. Rather they are chasing after the market occupied by the A6500 or A7RII.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3448 posts
271 upvotes
I've noticed the upper-end tech usually improves at the same price-point when there's healthy competition...but when a company is leading too far ahead of everyone else, the pricing goes up exponentially. This first happened in the video card scene (Nvidia flagships used to cost $500 in 2011, then they decided to charge $1000 3 years later and $1200 3 years after that)...then Sony cameras (40% increase 7 freaking months after launching a6300 with the a6500)...and now that strategy has gone mainstream with the iPhone X. The only example where I can think of a brand destroy competition and still bringing prices down are actually DJI drones. You also still have affordable options for phones that pack superb specs like Oppo/ZTE/Huawei

back to the discussion of affordable cameras, from my understanding, Xiaomi has been in a financially-troubling state for many quarters now because they're expanding into every product category with rock-bottom pricing
they must be hemorrhaging serious money pricing the Yi M1 at 1/3 of the competition

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=co ... s&Itemid=2

the trend? It's mainly Chinese brands and those with lesser market shares offering cheaper solutions in the electronics realm. The establishments like Apple, Sony, Nvidia knows they'll have trouble keeping their best products in stock even if it costs the consumer a kidney and they'll continue upping the stakes unless sales drop dramatically.

anyways, vote with your wallet. If you think Sony is overpriced (and I agree) then buy the other guys. You can't deny the up-market strategy is working out for the establishments.

and Ancaster, I viewed those mobile images at higher than 5K res, and most of them were rather pixelated Winking Face i'm sure they look terrific on an average tablet
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3995 upvotes
Southern Ontario
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 5:18 pm
...and Ancaster, I viewed those mobile images at higher than 5K res, and most of them were rather pixelated Winking Face i'm sure they look terrific on an average tablet
Lol, nice. A11 is a rockin CPU too but don't go down that road, OP is not interested.