[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4177 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
malaujai wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 5:15 pm
How quickly do bodies usually come out after these announcements... Just started eyeing up an A7III body
Usually 2 months after.

But you won't see a sale on it anytime soon.

Sony has done the trade in and save lens sale twice this year and the 7III was removed from the promotion.
Nov 23, 2010
174 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
I like the sony a6000 or a6500 models, with a 1.4 sigma 35mm, you will be just fine!
Apr 10, 2012
903 posts
400 upvotes
Just thought I'd pose this question to the group, what setting do you guys use for "Focus area"?

Ive been using Flexible Spot: M, but find that I don't always get my subject in focus. I also noticed that if you're taking a portrait, the face focus box appears, but I can't tell if the focus area is the focus spot or the box around the person's face.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2802 posts
405 upvotes
Vaughan
shahram0 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 10:02 am
Just thought I'd pose this question to the group, what setting do you guys use for "Focus area"?

Ive been using Flexible Spot: M, but find that I don't always get my subject in focus. I also noticed that if you're taking a portrait, the face focus box appears, but I can't tell if the focus area is the focus spot or the box around the person's face.
First thing, what camera are you using?

I've tested this on my A7ii. I found Flexible M isn't as accurate as Flexible S. Flexible S is more accurate, but hunts for focus a bit more in low light. Flexible M hunts less in low light, but some shots are slightly out of focus. So pick your poison, accurate AF or faster AF. At least this was my experience on the A7ii in lower light situations. Note, flexible M can get sharp in focus images, its just flexible S accuracy rate is much higher.

I have an a7rii now, and i use Expand flexible spot. Its pretty like have both flexible s and flexible m in one. You see both a M and S AF point. The S AF point is the active one. If the camera cannot find focus with the S AF point, it automatically switches to the M AF point, and tries to focus with the M AF point.

As for face focus, just use eye AF. It'll focus on the eyes, regardless where your AF point is.

I can't speak for other cameras, but this is my experience with the a7ii, and a7rii.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7398 posts
1340 upvotes
This Focus Setting Guide below was written for a9 but the suggestions and recommendations should be univeral to Sony.

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www ... index.html
shahram0 wrote:

The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2384 posts
948 upvotes
GTA
shahram0 wrote:

Here is a link to a Sony PDF document: "Sony A6000 4D Focus Camera Setting Guide"...some people may find it helpful

https://www.sony.net/Products/di/common ... _Guide.pdf
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 5, 2007
636 posts
91 upvotes
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of purchasing an A7iii in the near future (if i can find stock!) but wanted to get some opinions. I just started looking into it. My first dslr was a aps-c canon which i still have, is over 10 years old, but don't lug around as much anymore because of the bulk. I've been using a sony rx100m3 for the past couple years which I absolutely love, but am finding myself a bit limited now with it. I love the full frame aspect of the A7iii and the high ISO plus 4k video sounds awesome.

My biggest issue really is the cost of the lenses. I currently only have a couple lenses for my canon (50mm 1.8 EF and a 17-85 EFS) and I noticed the equivalent 50mm 1.8 sony is $350. Is this normal pricing for this lens? I'd be looking at getting this, maybe a wide angle, and a 70-200. I can stick my budget to $4k-$5k, and I don't think i'll be getting all these lenses at once.

My main shooting focus will be night photography (basic astro photography, no telescopes yet etc.) and portraits.

Any thoughts on this? Should I look at another camera instead? what about lens setup, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Aug 3, 2011
838 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
4-5k is a very healthy budget to start with. The 50 f1.8 can be bought for as low as $200 used(need to be patient and on a continuous watch).
To break down your budget
Body.....3k
50 f1.8...$250(conservative figure)
70-200...$1500 used give or take

Might need a ultra wide for astro which could be third party manual focus adapted.

You are all set.

And yes.....there’s no harm is buying used lenses. Just be patient for he deals to come in and Chk the lens properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4177 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
drunag wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 8:36 pm
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of purchasing an A7iii in the near future (if i can find stock!) but wanted to get some opinions. I just started looking into it. My first dslr was a aps-c canon which i still have, is over 10 years old, but don't lug around as much anymore because of the bulk. I've been using a sony rx100m3 for the past couple years which I absolutely love, but am finding myself a bit limited now with it. I love the full frame aspect of the A7iii and the high ISO plus 4k video sounds awesome.

My biggest issue really is the cost of the lenses. I currently only have a couple lenses for my canon (50mm 1.8 EF and a 17-85 EFS) and I noticed the equivalent 50mm 1.8 sony is $350. Is this normal pricing for this lens? I'd be looking at getting this, maybe a wide angle, and a 70-200. I can stick my budget to $4k-$5k, and I don't think i'll be getting all these lenses at once.

My main shooting focus will be night photography (basic astro photography, no telescopes yet etc.) and portraits.

Any thoughts on this? Should I look at another camera instead? what about lens setup, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Why do you need the 70-200? What type of photography? The F4 or F2.8?

I would get the A7III and the 24-105 G instead of a 50 and a 70-200 F4.

The 70-200 in F4 isn't worth it. If you need extra reach, saving up for the 100-400 is better, especially for doing astro moon shots, nebula shots, compression landscapes.

Grab the Rokinon 12mm for Sony E Mount for Astro.

If carrying around a dSLR was an issue, carrying around multiple primes and and mirrorless isn't going to make a difference for most folks. I think it's better to shoot with a versatile zoom like the 24-105.

You also want to aside some money for faster SD cards since you want to use two for the A7III.
Jun 13, 2009
296 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
May I suggest the Sony 28 mm F2 (SEL28F20)? I own it and it is a really nice lens. Yes it costs slightly more, though the wider angle might be worth it for you.

Probably not very practical but I'll throw it out there anyway; you can use the SEL075UWC lens adaptor with this lens to bring it down to 21mm. There are other lens adaptors available: https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/lens ... t-adapters
Apr 8, 2009
205 posts
149 upvotes
I have a 16-35 f/4 and the 28mm f/2 right now. I'll be looking to add a 15mm Laowa for astro stuff. Then deciding between a 70-300 or the 70-200 for the sports I do shoot... And I'll be adding a 55mm as my "standard" focal length. Thought about the Tamron 28-75 but I don't really use standard lengths all that much.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1094 posts
105 upvotes
Got my Sony body recently and using it adapted with my Canon glass. Looking forward to getting out to shoot this coming weekend!

Side note: Very much expected this as I did some reading beforehand, but the lack of good AF for video while adapted sucks :(
Jul 29, 2017
119 posts
82 upvotes
Any suggestions for a 90-100mm macro lens for e mount or with an adapter?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2802 posts
405 upvotes
Vaughan
7Kingdoms wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:39 am
Any suggestions for a 90-100mm macro lens for e mount or with an adapter?
I currently have the 90 macro, and think its great. I've also had a nikon 85mm 1.8g lens, adapted with a dumb f-mount to fe-mount adapter, and added nikon f-mount kenko tubes. Results were similar, but the i give the sony 90 an edge in contrast, but it terms of sharpness, very similar. The nikon setup was cumbersome to use, since you would have to take away tubes or add tubes depending on how close you wanted to get. Also with the nikon dumb adapter, i never knew what aperture i was using. It was a metabones manual adapter, so it only had numbers on the aperture ring. The number went from 1 to 7.

Tbh, i think you'd even be fine with something adapting a canon 100 macro, tamron 90, or even the tokina 90.

Also voigtlander has a 110 macro coming out soon. Its been announced, there's just no official release date yet. It is MF, so no AF. Imo, AF is pretty much useless when shooting macro close or near 1:1.

Any reason why 90-100mm macro? any reason why those focal lengths for you? Also do you need 1:1? or is 1:2 ok?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)