• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4177 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
There's new firmware out for the A7III and A7RIII.
Nov 24, 2009
380 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
I ordered A7III the other day from Vistek along with 24-105 F4 sony lens and it cost me close to $5k. I've never spent that much money on camera, but I'm hoping that I'll have so much fun with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4129 posts
499 upvotes
that's a lot of dough in one shot!
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 24, 2009
380 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
twitchyzero wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 3:08 pm
that's a lot of dough in one shot!
I know,,,but considering how popular this camera is and how hard it is to find them in stock in any retailers, I don't think it's going to be on sale anytime soon. I paid the full price for the body which is $2600. The lens itself is about $1700. I could pick cheaper Sigma 24-105, but I don't see myself buying more lens (cuz I've been using multiple lens with my old camera and prefer to stop doing it cuz it's too heavy.). So I thought I should settle for the very good one instead of cheaper alternative.
Jul 12, 2010
428 posts
67 upvotes
drunag wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 8:36 pm
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of purchasing an A7iii in the near future (if i can find stock!) but wanted to get some opinions. I just started looking into it. My first dslr was a aps-c canon which i still have, is over 10 years old, but don't lug around as much anymore because of the bulk. I've been using a sony rx100m3 for the past couple years which I absolutely love, but am finding myself a bit limited now with it. I love the full frame aspect of the A7iii and the high ISO plus 4k video sounds awesome.

My biggest issue really is the cost of the lenses. I currently only have a couple lenses for my canon (50mm 1.8 EF and a 17-85 EFS) and I noticed the equivalent 50mm 1.8 sony is $350. Is this normal pricing for this lens? I'd be looking at getting this, maybe a wide angle, and a 70-200. I can stick my budget to $4k-$5k, and I don't think i'll be getting all these lenses at once.

My main shooting focus will be night photography (basic astro photography, no telescopes yet etc.) and portraits.

Any thoughts on this? Should I look at another camera instead? what about lens setup, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Meh sorry to burst your bubble... but mirror less is just as bulky as an aps-c canon just due to pro-lvl lenses will be the same size if not bigger. So your going to have to get over lugging DSLR size cameras if you get a A7iii. TBH if you love the rx100 ... sell it and get a mark 5 or 6 if you want the zoom range. It'll be alot cheaper and probably be the best solution for you. As always make sure you buy more batteries for those... hehe

Sony lenses are hella expensive pretty much 3k for any Pro lvl zoom. If you don't mind adapting lenses which could be a good option for you since you are a night photographer.But portraits wise you probably will love the eye-AF so you going to need Sony lenses. So your kind of screwed...

In terms of lens setups if you want 1st party AF - Really depends what type of photography you wanna focus on first. 24-105 f4 great all around... Low inventory - probably bad for Astro not enough light. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - great price, got the f.28 blur for portraits and astro - But not wide enough and just so inbetween. - 24-70 GM ...expensive. but wider and SHARPEST. sony 16-35 F2.8 . from what I heard its the BEST wide angle out of all 3 brands optically, it's expensive... you can't really do portraits unless u going to sit on 35mm only. Then there are a bunch of primes you can get... up to you what focal length you want.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1094 posts
105 upvotes
I'm Canon adapted (via metabones V) and find eye AF is not that bad but given you aren't really super invested in Canon you could always just go native.

The real issue is that the A7III isn't really going to give you much relief in terms of size/weight/bulk lol
Apr 10, 2012
903 posts
400 upvotes
Question regarding E-mount lenses:

Everyone talks about how the Sony kit lens is not the best, but I'm wondering whether the SEL 18-135 (3.5-5.6) will be noticeably sharper than the kit lens or the 55-210? I ask because I am generally lead to believe that zoom lenses with a large range are often not the sharpest, unless you invest in the ultra-high end ones.

I'm looking to upgrade from the kit lens, but not sure I want to fork over $1k for a lens at this time. Want something in the middle and this seems like it could be it.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2384 posts
948 upvotes
GTA
shahram0 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 10:33 am

Everyone talks about how the Sony kit lens is not the best, but I'm wondering whether the SEL 18-135 (3.5-5.6) will be noticeably sharper than the kit lens or the 55-210? I ask because I am generally lead to believe that zoom lenses with a large range are often not the sharpest, unless you invest in the ultra-high end ones.

I'm looking to upgrade from the kit lens, but not sure I want to fork over $1k for a lens at this time. Want something in the middle and this seems like it could be it.
You may want to take a look at the review of this lens (and others) on dyxum.com. I've used that site for years for reviews of lenses to fit Sony "A" mount lenses for their DSLR's. There are only three reviews of the lens you mention but they are all very positive about it's sharpness.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
1788 posts
35 upvotes
shahram0 wrote:

from the reviews i saw, the 18-135 is decent but the 18-105 is sharper. I have the 55-210 and after 135-150, the image starts to get softer
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4129 posts
499 upvotes
shahram0 wrote:
4/16-70 Zony...can't recommend this one enough for crop bodies
very versatile to the point i feel bad my superior Japan-built primes like the 1.8/24 Zony and 2.8/12 Zeiss are collecting dust
yes it's not cheap

the 55-210 is not bad if you need the range
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 26, 2018
7 posts
Ontario
I would pick a Sony or Fuji. Don't get a canon. There are hardly any lenses unless you want to adapt. I personally got an a6000. Best value in my opinion
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
7809 posts
1103 upvotes
Montreal
So I've seen a lot of Youtube Reviews on the 85mm for Sony E Mount...

Which version do people have here or want?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4177 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
ericdraven wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 6:02 pm

The 85GM is not worth it unless you get a deal on it. Creamy broken is nice but slow to focus due to the heavy glass.

I would get the Batis 1.8 and call it a day.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1055 posts
54 upvotes
ericdraven wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 6:02 pm

I have the FE 85mm. Awesome lens, at a much more affordable price then the Batis or GM. Also much more compact. It's sharp, has good bokeh, and fast AF.

Unless you are professional and need 1.4 (and have the required funds), then just go with the FE.