PC & Video Games

Sony and MS working on PS4.5 and XboxOne.5 ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2016 11:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
I skipped Splatoon since the fun portions of the game are the online multiplayer modes and usually Nintendo online communities dwindle in playerbase once a new console arrives.
I am not a big fan of the character designs in Splatoon either.

Mario Kart 8 works great online but Super Smash Wii U does not have solid netcode for consistently lagless online matches.
squadz wrote: Splatoon?
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
heywhatsmyname wrote: I don't think the NX is a threat to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo as a business has major structural issues that won't be solved until the old guard is replaced.
If the NX is what we all think it is, and it's a combination of the next iterations of Wii U/3DS, then they should definitely be worried.

3DS has over $50 million, Wii U over $10. Not a small chunk of the market.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
XFactor11 wrote: I skipped Splatoon since the fun portions of the game are the online multiplayer modes and usually Nintendo online communities dwindle in playerbase once a new console arrives.
I am not a big fan of the character designs in Splatoon either.

Mario Kart 8 works great online but Super Smash Wii U does not have solid netcode for consistently lagless online matches.
I've played hundreds of Smash matches, haven't had many issues besides at launch or on the 3DS occasionally. Maybe because my Wii U is wired.

Splatoon, MK8, Smash, Mario Maker are all great games and exclusives. System sellers, which is more than I can say about the competitions exclusives.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
squadz wrote: If the NX is what we all think it is, and it's a combination of the next iterations of Wii U/3DS, then they should definitely be worried.

I think you mean units sold, not dollars. Although you can be forgiven for the mistake in the case of the lackluster Wii U sales. The 3DS has downward trending sales compared to the DS, mobile is taking a large bite of handhelds. There's a reason Nintendo is making a push into smartphones soon. The Wii U is a failure commercially, any other description of it is overly charitable at best. I've enjoyed my Wii U but I'm not going to pretend its doing well.

With that out of the way, Sony and Microsoft are effectively in different markets than Nintendo. The trouble is that Nintendos market keeps getting smaller as its consumers age and aren't being replaced by a newer generation who are into mobile devices. Hopefully they can solve this with the NX and bridge some gaps. I don't know, to be honest I'm not exactly hopeful considering how out of touch with the modern market Nintendo often seems to be. I just hope they aren't relegated to making generic titles for all platforms one day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote: I've played hundreds of Smash matches, haven't had many issues besides at launch or on the 3DS occasionally. Maybe because my Wii U is wired.

Splatoon, MK8, Smash, Mario Maker are all great games and exclusives. System sellers, which is more than I can say about the competitions exclusives.
We are getting way OT but Smash never worked well for me at all, absolutely disappointing. My WiiU is wireless but sits right underneath my router
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I got way more mileage out of stuff like Bloodborne and Sunset Overdrive than Smash. My whole group was disappointed in that one. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand was the real deal and probably the only tangible "gotta own this" game on the Wii U.

Mario Party 10 sucked too BTW.

Why are we talking about Nintendo anyway? Sony and Microsoft are potentially doing upgrades, Nintendo is launching their own thing with its own big thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: If the NX is what we all think it is, and it's a combination of the next iterations of Wii U/3DS, then they should definitely be worried.

Worried about what exactly?

The 3DS is a moderate hit, but it hasn't done as well as previous Nintendo handhelds. The Wii U is a big flop, even with their praise-worthy exclusives.

The late Iwata promised their Japanese investors that they will turn around the ship two years ago. There is little indication that Nintendo has changed the way of doing things.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: Why are we talking about Nintendo anyway? Sony and Microsoft are potentially doing upgrades, Nintendo is launching their own thing with its own big thread.
I brought it up as a contrast to show that the X1 and PS4 don't need more hardware power as much as they need more original ideas and interesting games. Most exclusives on these consoles are short lived sequels to franchises that were already done to death last gen. I've already played 4 Forza's (2, 3, 4, Horizon), 4 Halo's (3, ODST, Reach, 4), 3 Uncharted's, 2 LBP's, 4 Gears of Wars, ect.
I think they'd be better off investing in refreshing game ideas instead of more powerful hardware that isn't really needed. I brought up the WiiU because it's the weakest console of all yet I don't see myself enjoying any X1 or PS4 games for even half as long as I've enjoyed technically outdated games like Mario Kart 8 or Xenoblade.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Redmask wrote: I got way more mileage out of stuff like Bloodborne and Sunset Overdrive than Smash. My whole group was disappointed in that one. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand was the real deal and probably the only tangible "gotta own this" game on the Wii U.

Mario Party 10 sucked too BTW.

Why are we talking about Nintendo anyway? Sony and Microsoft are potentially doing upgrades, Nintendo is launching their own thing with its own big thread.
well you can't talk about 1 or 2 consoles without talking about all the consoles, and while you are at it, might as well drag in all the handheld too.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I'm pretty happy with my ps4. I'm in no rush to shell out money for another console already. I think a 4.5 is a kick in the nuts. From what I can tell the ps4 wasn't designed to be upgraded. If the new games require the hardware specs of the 4.5, then everyone has to buy a new console as if it were the next version. If you're going to go that route wait a few more years, wait for 4k to mature a bit and put out the ps5 a few years down the road. I felt the 8 years of the last gen console was a bit a long. A half upgrade a few years in, is too short.

If they want consoles to be up-gradable then build the next gen of consoles to be up-gradable. Don't do it half-baked with this generation. Do it from the get-go.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I brought it up as a contrast to show that the X1 and PS4 don't need more hardware power as much as they need more original ideas and interesting games. Most exclusives on these consoles are short lived sequels to franchises that were already done to death last gen. I've already played 4 Forza's (2, 3, 4, Horizon), 4 Halo's (3, ODST, Reach, 4), 3 Uncharted's, 2 LBP's, 4 Gears of Wars, ect.
I see just as many unique games on the Sony and Microsoft side of things, it's not like Nintendo hasn't been "refreshing" their IP endlessly either for that matter.
I'm pretty happy with my ps4. I'm in no rush to shell out money for another console already. I think a 4.5 is a kick in the nuts. From what I can tell the ps4 was designed to be upgraded. If the new games require the hardware specs of the 4.5, then everyone has to buy a new console as if it were the next version. If you're going to go that route wait a few more years, wait for 4k to mature a bit and put out the ps5 a few years down the road. I felt the 8 years of the last gen console was a bit a long. A half upgrade a few years in, is too short.
Same, I can wait another 2-3 years for an upgrade. I'm in no rush, having plenty of fun with the existing hardware/games.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: I brought it up as a contrast to show that the X1 and PS4 don't need more hardware power as much as they need more original ideas and interesting games. Most exclusives on these consoles are short lived sequels to franchises that were already done to death last gen. I've already played 4 Forza's (2, 3, 4, Horizon), 4 Halo's (3, ODST, Reach, 4), 3 Uncharted's, 2 LBP's, 4 Gears of Wars, ect.
I think they'd be better off investing in refreshing game ideas instead of more powerful hardware that isn't really needed. I brought up the WiiU because it's the weakest console of all yet I don't see myself enjoying any X1 or PS4 games for even half as long as I've enjoyed technically outdated games like Mario Kart 8 or Xenoblade.
Pretty much the reason I have a PC. There's no quality exclusives left that make me want to buy a PS4 (for the third time) or XB1. I loved the NHL series (that's gone the way of the dodo), love Final Fantasy (still waiting, three years in now - will probably come to PC anyway), love Last of Us (sequel?), love Crash Bandicoot (how has this not been made yet?). What's left? Uncharted, sure, but we're three years in and still waiting (yes, I know it's coming). Until Dawn was my favorite PS4 game this generation (Bloodborne might be better, but I didn't play it - but that's only two games to justify the whole console - not enough).

Xbox is even worse on that end. I think we're in the minority now, of people that want exclusive games (the same games that made these consoles special in the past) or even just different games than the rehashed "open world, thousand quest" games that keep getting put out. Destiny was going to be that for me, and it flopped hard. This generation has just angered me, I was expecting a lot more.

Listen, the Wii U has not done great - that's obvious, but if offers me the most diversity in games, especially when combined with my PC. I'm not missing out on any quality games, since every game now is a multi-platform, and I get the Nintendo experience, which is always quality games with very small shortcomings.

I want the PS5, XB2 to be different. I want there to be an actual reason to buy one over the other besides the graphic fidelity. Give me your first party games exclusive to that platform. Give me a reason to say "I need a PS4 because I need to play the newest X game". Right now, that doesn't exist, so I can't in good faith give my money to either company. As much as everyone likes to bash Nintendo around here for not selling as much, at least they try to do different things each generation that make it worth buying or trying out - if I want to replicate the PS4/XB1 experience, all I need to do is turn on my PC.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I'm not missing out on any quality games, since every game now is a multi-platform, and I get the Nintendo experience, which is always quality games with very small shortcomings.
This is incorrect. Many Xbox exclusives (in fact the majority) are still not on the PC, Spencer has also gone on record saying not all future ones will be. The ones that exist are terrible Microsoft Store titles with annoying limitations. PS4 exclusives are likely to never see a PC either. Dinging other consoles for making sequels while giving Nintendo a pass is kind of absurd.
I want the PS5, XB2 to be different. I want there to be an actual reason to buy one over the other besides the graphic fidelity.
They're selling really well and both consoles have unique offerings that many are enjoying, you just don't like them. I don't see why they need to change anything right now. Despite their success Sony is trying something new with VR, only to get dismissed out of hand by naysayers for their efforts while Nintendo is lauded for making a poorly spec'd tablet. Before someone makes a comment about its specs, have some self awareness about what's inside of the average Nintendo console.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2069 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also happy with my PS4 and Xbox One and enjoying all the content from both. I hope this "upgrade" is just for 4k tvs or maybe VR capabilities but doesn't fragment games where there's multiple versions of one game based on which console version you have. I'm in no rush to upgrade anything.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Redmask wrote: This is incorrect. Many Xbox exclusives (in fact the majority) are still not on the PC, Spencer has also gone on record saying not all future ones will be. The ones that exist are terrible Microsoft Store titles with annoying limitations. PS4 exclusives are likely to never see a PC either. Dinging other consoles for making sequels while giving Nintendo a pass is kind of absurd.

They're selling really well and both consoles have unique offerings that many are enjoying, you just don't like them. I don't see why they need to change anything right now. Despite their success Sony is trying something new with VR, only to get dismissed out of hand by naysayers for their efforts while Nintendo is lauded for making a poorly spec'd tablet. Before someone makes a comment about its specs, have some self awareness about what's inside of the average Nintendo console.
The fact that they're selling really well says a lot about gamers than it does about the consoles.

Also, you missed my point that these "exclusives" that are coming out nowadays are not the same as they used to be. It's just not worth it to buy an Xbox or PS4 for the exclusives anymore.

The consoles are just mirror images at this point, it's a waste. They don't offer anything different at all.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
That is saying a lot of nothing and you're confusing subjective taste with facts /shrug

I own a Wii U but I'm not going to pretend its somehow "superior" to anything else or look down on other peoples taste in games.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
I don't see 4.5 or whatever coming to the full extend. If Sony does an actual update to 4.5, it will probably just be the blu-ray drive to read 3 layer UHD and HDMI 2.0. The hardware can handle the new drive and hdmi for movies and Netflix. I highly doubt they will go into new GPU's etc for 4k gaming and VR.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Redmask wrote: That is saying a lot of nothing and you're confusing subjective taste with facts /shrug

I own a Wii U but I'm not going to pretend its somehow "superior" to anything else or look down on other peoples taste in games.
Why does it always come back to the Wii U, or it being superior? It's not, spec wise. My point is that it offers games that aren't available on any other platform. It offers Nintendo's first party games. It offers a reason to buy the system.

The PS4 and XB1 are just locked down PC's with absolutely nothing to separate them besides timed DLC and minuscule features. Where's the different games? Where's the reason to buy an XB1 or PS4 besides the fact that your friends own it?

Where's the Last of Us type game that makes XB1 users want to buy a PS4?

That's my point. It has nothing to do with the Wii U, I'm using the Wii U as an example because out of the three consoles, it's the only one that offers its own exclusive games that are worth a damn.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Why does it always come back to the Wii U, or it being superior? It's not, spec wise. My point is that it offers games that aren't available on any other platform. It offers Nintendo's first party games. It offers a reason to buy the system. The PS4 and XB1 are just locked down PC's with absolutely nothing to separate them besides timed DLC and minuscule features. Where's the different games? Where's the reason to buy an XB1 or PS4 besides the fact that your friends own it?
I don't know, you're the guy who always brings it up in every topic. Nintendo also had a years head start on dev so they have a few more first party titles, not that its really translated into success for them anyway. Other consoles offer games not available on other platforms, you just don't like them. Taste is subjective. I thought Mario Kart 8 was worth buying a Wii U for and I think Bloodborne was worth buying a PS4 for. Other people are disappointed in both. Some people will say Uncharted 4 is a system seller, others will disagree. Forza alone is worth an Xbox One to me but many people don't like racing games. Others here thought Sunset Overdrive didn't get the recognition it deserved and that its the best first party title of this generation. Opinions are opinions.

Saying that the other consoles have nothing to offer is false. You might not like what they have to offer and that's fine, no one is going to force them on you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote: Why does it always come back to the Wii U, or it being superior? It's not, spec wise. My point is that it offers games that aren't available on any other platform. It offers Nintendo's first party games. It offers a reason to buy the system.

The PS4 and XB1 are just locked down PC's with absolutely nothing to separate them besides timed DLC and minuscule features. Where's the different games? Where's the reason to buy an XB1 or PS4 besides the fact that your friends own it?

Where's the Last of Us type game that makes XB1 users want to buy a PS4?

That's my point. It has nothing to do with the Wii U, I'm using the Wii U as an example because out of the three consoles, it's the only one that offers its own exclusive games that are worth a damn.
Your whole argument is based off the idea that you like nintendo games and you dont like the exclusives that the PS4 or XB1 offers, which are both opinions which is fine but a poor basis for an argument. If you could see outside of your little bubble and ignore your own preferences for a minute its really not difficult to see the perspective of someone who might prefer the XB1 or PS4.

I think most core gamers nowaways I think want something more then want Nintendo has to offer be it from a game perspective or a hardware perspective.

In regards to the MS/PC thing, Im not sure why you want MS to keep its games exclusive when clearly you prefer the PC environment.