• Dec 4th, 2017 4:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
36 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal

Sony RX100V worth the price?

What do you guys think of the smallish RX100 series from Sony? Specs wise, the RX100 Mark 5 looks amazing (missing just the GPS) but is it worth the 1200$? Also, can any of you comment on the 4k video quality? Thank you!
24 replies
Feb 20, 2006
25 posts
1 upvote
contva wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:54 pm
What do you guys think of the smallish RX100 series from Sony? Specs wise, the RX100 Mark 5 looks amazing (missing just the GPS) but is it worth the 1200$? Also, can any of you comment on the 4k video quality? Thank you!
I would rather buy the canon M6 kit ($799)+EVF($50)+22mm f2 ($249)for$1100 from TCS. I know it is apple and orange, but it is better bang for your buck.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18609 posts
3709 upvotes
Thornhill
I've had the MKI and MK3, beastly cameras for the size. I am in rougher times so I haven't taken any vacations or trips and have sold the MK3, but once I'm steady again I know what camera I'm going to get!

As for the MK5, honestly I think buying an older generation one is a better idea, the MSRP is crazy but its a good product. I don't know about the 4K, but the RX100's has always had problems with recording video due to overheating. Is this resolved?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6851 posts
1002 upvotes
Sony priced it knowing If someone want the latest and greatest compact camera size out there, that is pretty much THE one.

The question on is it worth really depends on you as the user. Would any of the 4 gens before it be enough for your needs already or you still want to have the latest one ??

Or would you be willing to look at other options, such as the Canon versions (G5x/7x/9x) with the same sensor ??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
36 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
I'm really looking for a pocket-sized camera. I'd really love the 4K and the amazing slo-mo features, so I guess Mark 4 is the oldest I could buy... Didn't know anything about the overheating issue, thanks @coriolis for the heads-up. I'm also thinking resale value.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10753 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
the video quality of the V is quite fantastic, but then again all of them have had good video quality, Whether you NEED the 5 depends on what you are shooting, the main advantage is the improved focusing which will track moving objects better for both video and stills. And the high framerate for video is the other big selling feature. Basically the video is top notch.

If you have the funds and want one of the best pocketable cameras, this is still top notch. If you get dell ebates, you'll save a bit too.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1299 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I personally wouldn't buy it. I'd get a better phone instead... I own an RX100 iii(99% the same thing),but most of non-professional shots in my family are taken with phones. A modern phone can do the exact same thing and always with you. A 1200 camera to use a few times a year is a waste of money unless you are constantly printing them.
The small 24-70mm zoom is also very small.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3505 posts
294 upvotes
i call it a pocketable weapon

I think street price was justified when it was brand new...now a year old, I would not bother paying that much, even if it's still very relevant making Sony break a 5-year combo by not releasing VI this year.

+1 on upgrading your phone advice. Unless this is used for vlogs that might be paying for the camera off in short time, I would not do it.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 11, 2011
174 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
contva wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:39 pm
I'm really looking for a pocket-sized camera. I'd really love the 4K and the amazing slo-mo features, so I guess Mark 4 is the oldest I could buy... Didn't know anything about the overheating issue, thanks @coriolis for the heads-up. I'm also thinking resale value.
If you would only go as low as Mark IV, just go with the V. The $120 extra is totally worth it.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10753 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
well certainly a case can be made for a top grade phone instead. Match a Pixel 2 or iPhone X with a gimbal and you have excellent 4K video.

The RX100 still trumps a phone in certain situations. You have to decide whether those advantages translate to anything. Having a limited range zoom and the larger sensor still appeals to me but it's another thing to carry,

I would still buy a RX100 V but I would only buy it if I got a deal on it.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
36 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
I get the smartphone appeal, being always with me all the time, but I don't mind carrying a small camera with me. I think the better sensor on the latter is still worth it. Also, again, the slo-mo video (check the video in @gariopara's link above) is amazing.

@warpdrive, so far the only "deal" I could find was an open box at Vistek. That would also come with a 10% savings from not paying the QST. The BF deals were not great.
May 5, 2010
847 posts
235 upvotes
contva wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:51 am
I get the smartphone appeal, being always with me all the time, but I don't mind carrying a small camera with me. I think the better sensor on the latter is still worth it. Also, again, the slo-mo video (check the video in @gariopara's link above) is amazing.

@warpdrive, so far the only "deal" I could find was an open box at Vistek. That would also come with a 10% savings from not paying the QST. The BF deals were not great.
I wanted to get the V for the slo-mo at the beginning of the year. It's better than the IV too since it can do it longer. Up to twice as long, so it's up to 2x less chance to miss that shoot (2 vs 4 seconds I think).
I didn't get it in the end because of the price.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10753 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
contva wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:51 am

Dell.ca is still your best bet. Basically about 10% off if you factor in 10% ebates
If you have MPP, you can get another 3-5% off.

Camera http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/accessories/apd/a9508775
10% cashback https://www.ebates.ca/coupons/dell-consumer
MPP signup http://www.dell.com/learn/ca/en/cadhs1/ ... er=6590819
Also sign up with Dell Advantage so you get a 3% purchase credit for your next purchase http://www.dell.com/en-ca/learn/advantage

I'm with you as far as a separate camera is concerned. I want to upgrade my RX100 to the V model just because I still prefer using a camera with a bigger sensor.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
36 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for the tip warpdrive!