• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 3:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1770 posts
555 upvotes

Sony says PlayStation 4 is in 'final phase' of its life cycle

Sony says PlayStation 4 is in 'final phase' of its life cycle. I literally got a PS4 Pro last summer and barely have any games for it. I understand the PS4 console only came out in 2013. I thought I could still enjoy PS4 games at least 3-4 more years. I still haven't even finished my PS3 games. Not too happy if this is true.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
so much click bait journalism about this lately. It's not true and there won't be a PS5 until at least 2020 or later
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1770 posts
555 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 5:05 pm
so much click bait journalism about this lately. It's not true and there won't be a PS5 until at least 2020 or later
A reputable source (BBC) quoting Sony CEO John Kodera that the PS4 is in the final phase of its life cycle is "click bait journalism"? Going by your estimate, we're almost half-way through 2018. A 2020 PS5 release means the PS4 has maybe 1.5 - 2 years left. That would suck...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
that headline with no context is textbook clickbait journalism and leads to nothing but aimless speculation. 2 years would be fine as the PS4 hardware is already outdated and limiting what developers can do today.
Jun 19, 2015
14 posts
9 upvotes
Montr
@Micelli

Sony officially said today that the next playstation is 3 years off! That is a good thing! That means the PS4 will have been around longer than any other previous playstation console to date, for a total of 8 years (vs 7 for PS3 and 6 for PS2/PS1). We really have no reason to complain.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3442 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 5:38 pm
that headline with no context is textbook clickbait journalism and leads to nothing but aimless speculation. 2 years would be fine as the PS4 hardware is already outdated and limiting what developers can do today.
I don't think that's a clickbait headline... That's just a regular headline based on an actual quote.

If it were meant as clickbait, it would be a bit more disingenuous like "Sony CEO announced the PS4 is in its final phase. You'll never guess what they're doing next!"
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1770 posts
555 upvotes
@ichiru and @M1GOmigs thank you. I didn't think I clickbaited, as I literally put in the headline from the article, as presented by BBC.

Anyway, 3 years is still good.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10592 posts
961 upvotes
Mississauga
"Final phase" means the PS4 is entering its final phase, not that there will be no more games for it or anything. If they're throwing out 2020 as a possible release date for the PS5, then late 2021 will be the more likely release date. That's 3.5 years from now, which is a pretty long time and they will still continue making PS4 versions of new games for at least a couple years after that. That's a solid ten years or so for the PS4 from its initial release.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1722 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 4:56 pm
Sony says PlayStation 4 is in 'final phase' of its life cycle. I literally got a PS4 Pro last summer and barely have any games for it. I understand the PS4 console only came out in 2013. I thought I could still enjoy PS4 games at least 3-4 more years. I still haven't even finished my PS3 games. Not too happy if this is true.
Even if Sony launched the PS5 in 2020, thats 7 years of PS4! The PS3 had a 7 year cycle before the PS4 launched. There were still AAA games releasing on the PS3 after the PS4 launched.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 6:06 pm
I don't think that's a clickbait headline... That's just a regular headline based on an actual quote.

If it were meant as clickbait, it would be a bit more disingenuous like "Sony CEO announced the PS4 is in its final phase. You'll never guess what they're doing next!"
I mean clickbait in the sense that a generally meaningless quote was turned into a headline to imply something more significant than was intended. Anyone who follows gaming knows a PS5 is at least 2-3 years away at minimum so throwing around terms like "final phase" without that context is clickbaity imo. The average person not in the loop is going to read that and start talking about how the PS5 is coming out this year or something. These news outlets know exactly what they're doing.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3442 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 8:48 pm

I mean clickbait in the sense that a generally meaningless quote was turned into a headline to imply something more significant than was intended. Anyone who follows gaming knows a PS5 is at least 2-3 years away at minimum so throwing around terms like "final phase" without that context is clickbaity imo. The average person not in the loop is going to read that and start talking about how the PS5 is coming out this year or something. These news outlets know exactly what they're doing.
I know where you're coming from, but I feel that terms like "clickbait" and "fake news" get overused to the point that it diminishes their effectiveness these days. People are hypersensitive about pointing them out, even when it's not the case.

Many news outlets and gaming sites probably used a similar headline, and any editor worth their salt would ensure that the headline is eye-catching. When given a quote like that without much context, a writer can't just ignore it or bury the lede, especially in this day and age of heavy competition.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Jun 19, 2015
14 posts
9 upvotes
Montr
Clickbait or not the PS4 is owning this generation and I'll bet it'll continue to do so until it gets replaced. I just sold my PS4 today and I'm about to grab a PS4 pro even if I don't have a 4K TV and I barely have time to play games anymore... Didnt even start playing most of my 40+ games and honestly it doesn't matter :) they'll be ready to be played when I am ! =D
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6182 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 9:18 pm
Many news outlets and gaming sites probably used a similar headline, and any editor worth their salt would ensure that the headline is eye-catching. When given a quote like that without much context, a writer can't just ignore it or bury the lede, especially in this day and age of heavy competition.
Oh I know, I work at a media company where they're constantly copy and pasting the latest hot headline when it has absolutely nothing to do with our brands or audience just hoping it boosts impressions. Drives me nuts to see it but I don't work in that department so that's none of my business lol
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2162 posts
241 upvotes
Most people are over reacting to this. It all depends how Sony is defining "phase". Considering they defined their launch window/phase as being eighteen months and said the PS4 is entering it's final phase, it could have ~2 years left to go.
Nov 19, 2017
269 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Not an issue at all for me. Had both the XB1 and PS4 since launch day. I upgraded to a PS4 Pro when that launched as well due to promos from EB. By the time the next generation comes out, it would be well overdue. Technology moves fast. I feel that people were just very late to adopt this generation in comparison to the others in the past due to the absence of a large, attractive, or unique library at launch, or that there were still exclusives releasing for the PS3/Xbox 360. Most people didn't adopt the current gen consoles till late 2014, early 2015 so I can see why some are upset or disgruntled over this, but realistically its already been 5 years since the console released. There's still plenty of room for numerous exclusives and games to exhaust the console to its fullest potential in the next 2-3 years.