• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 11:13 pm
Tags:
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON

SONY will end officially PS Vita in 2019

This is not new, but now it's made official since yesterday, see article. Sadly they killed the best handheld unrivaled for years (Switch popped up recently). If anyone wants to add me: PSN: StrayFeral I am a Vita only player, old-school arcades mostly

ARTICLE: PS Vita manufacture and shipping ends in 2019, executive says
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
That really sucks. Nintendo is the king of handhelds, but also smartphones have also contributed to the death of the traditional handheld gaming console. R.I.P. Vita. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
really like the vita, sold mine a while ago only to regret it. It was a bit over-engineered with the back touch screen and the touchscreen didnt need to be there. Could have saved Sony money and consumers, or used those resources for some haptic feedback possibly but im no hardware expert. It had a long run considered it was ditched so long ago informally. I'll add if you if I find another slim, what games you play?
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Officially being the key word. Sony unofficially murdered the Vita like five years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
The Vita was thriving in Japan until the Switch launched.

There will still be some games releasing for the platform in 2019, including Catherine: Full Body.

No surprise that Sony has no plans for another handheld. It will be interesting to see how Sony positions the PlayStation 5 in mobile friendly Japan.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
This thing was DOA as soon as they announced they were sticking with proprietary memory cards. As an owner of an original DS, 2 3DS's and a PSP I consider myself somewhat of a handheld gaming enthusiast and I never even considered buying a VITA because I learned my lesson with the PSP and its stupid "pro duo memory" cards or whatever they were called.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
more like 2014 lol gg $ony
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
Have a psp and bought a second OLED vita as soon as they stopped selling them in North America...

I will absolutely never let go of them... almost the entire psx library can be enjoyed on the psp. I mean where else can you enjoy castlevania SOTN on portable :D. Also, If you like music, the psp also happens to have an absolutely crazy DAC on par or better than many expensive portable players out there today.
Let’s not even talk about the OLED screen of the original vita... nothing else like it out there...

Now, i do agree that the vita was dead on arrival... Sony’s strategy against Nintendo was weak plain and simple. With Henkaku though, there will be plenty of vita lovers out there for a long long time.

Sad sad day....

Cheers,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Sad news....I bought the Vita Borderlands bundle from Walmart for 99.99.....thought to myself "what a machine.....nice".

Then all the crap started happening, be it lack of physical game stock, the overpriced SD card, etc. Ended up selling it and broke even with all the games/accessories.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
what's a fair price on the OLED models?
a 0.4GHz quad-core with 1/2GB memory & qHD OLED in 2011 was hardly groundbreaking

I have a few PSP on PSN that I've always wanted to get a Vita to play on
and a some PS Classics and PS2 digital downloads (does the later work)?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
Akizuki wrote: I found this little device recently. Converts Micro SD to Vita sized memory card.

Micro SD to Vita Adaptor
thats not what you think it is. Its a mini sd card to vita GAME cartridge. Its when you load up homebrew and take access of the protocols. You can clearly see its the case in the pictures its no memory card.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
msz87 wrote: thats not what you think it is. Its a mini sd card to vita GAME cartridge. Its when you load up homebrew and take access of the protocols. You can clearly see its the case in the pictures its no memory card.
Correct, its similar to a R4 card in this respect. Also worth noting for those unfamiliar, that one needs to unlock/jailbreak their Vita for sd2vita to even work in the first place. That said if one was using sd2vita, the card slot is probably never going to see a real game card again. Would've been really amazing had there been a way to outright replace the hideously expensive and often rare vita memory card with conventional micro SDs.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
I've been thinking about getting one of those and jaibreaking the Playstation TV I got bundled years ago with my PS4.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
JeganV wrote: Correct, its similar to a R4 card in this respect. Also worth noting for those unfamiliar, that one needs to unlock/jailbreak their Vita for sd2vita to even work in the first place. That said if one was using sd2vita, the card slot is probably never going to see a real game card again. Would've been really amazing had there been a way to outright replace the hideously expensive and often rare vita memory card with conventional micro SDs.
I ordered one of the first batches made and it literally got stuck in my vita I had to open it up to get it out. The new ones dont have this problem.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
msz87 wrote: I ordered one of the first batches made and it literally got stuck in my vita I had to open it up to get it out. The new ones dont have this problem.
Correct, what you got was the Version 1.0, the one in the link is version 5.0 which I currently use and its significantly better than both 1.0 and 3.0 both of which are still on the market amazingly. To tell the difference, 1.0 is the red bare bones unit which isn't even a card and appears more like a home project, 3.0 is the red and black card and the 5.0 is the white card.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
picked up an oled launch model with original box and cables thanks to this thread
fw is already 3.69, no biggie i'm too old/lazy to hack
probably only game i'll buy is p4g, does that still go on sale on PSN?
got a few psp titles, always wanna try PS3/PS4 remote play as well as ps classics i wanna check out on this terribad resolution
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)