None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1701 posts
264 upvotes
Milton, Ontario

Sony Xperia XZ

So Sony yet again tries a new flagship, wonder how well it will be received.
One dissapointing thing is N/A does not get fingerprint scanner, but on previous models this could be unlocked with some tinkering.
I think I'm gonna give them a chance, and try it out.
Now just for the price and availability.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones ... 386/review

Pre-order UK £449.17 with free Sony Headphones
https://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-xz
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-5- ... =xperia+xz

Pre-order US $699 (US version no fingerprint scanner)

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-XZ-U ... =xperia+xz

Last edited by toyopl on Sep 28th, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
89 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6885 posts
1085 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
There was a time when I was lusting for a Sony phone, back in the Xperia 2-3 era
However their camera, premium price tag, plus glass cracking issues along with their mobile division having financial issues, kind of turned me off.
Maybe they've improved these days, who knows
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
I never understood why people care about camera quality on a phone. You can buy the latest iPhone and the picture quality can't compare to an entry-level dSLR at half the price. Camera phones are great for spur of the moment snaps or recording information for later examination, in which case, I wouldn't care about the quality too much. But if I want pictures that I want to keep for memories, it's the dSLR.

Anyways, I'll consider an Xperia if the price is right. Their flagship phones usually come in a dual SIM version and are IP68 certified.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6885 posts
1085 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I generally don't carry a DSLR in my back pocket, but the phone is always with me.
Memories you want to record doesn't always happen when you want them to happen.

My comment about the camera quality was regarding Sony compared to other brands that are in the same price category. Samsung, iPhone etc. that are all also water resistant and samsung phones come with sd card slots also.
Apr 22, 2014
255 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I love my Z3. Have had it for 2 years without issue. The camera is pretty good, it's much better than my wife's previous S5 that we just got rid of. It is water resistant and it also had an SD slot, so both of those comparisons aren't really fair in this situation?
Dec 19, 2002
699 posts
46 upvotes
laihama wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 9:26 am
I never understood why people care about camera quality on a phone. You can buy the latest iPhone and the picture quality can't compare to an entry-level dSLR at half the price. Camera phones are great for spur of the moment snaps or recording information for later examination, in which case, I wouldn't care about the quality too much. But if I want pictures that I want to keep for memories, it's the dSLR.
Do you have your dSLR in your pocket with you at all times? Does your dSLR have an app to post your pics on social media? Most people don't keep their pictures for later memories these days. They share them online and a smartphone camera is the easiest way to do that.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16093 posts
1008 upvotes
Woodbridge
One. I'm surprised Sony is still bothering since they said North America is done.

Second. I wanted ranted about the Camera quality when majority uploads them in Social Media which correct me if I'm wrong GETS DOWNGRADED right so what's the point of having the best? Especially buying the phonr soley for the camera like with Nokia, I can't remember the model.

I guess I just don't get it not into Photography. Even when my family and friends travel and take hundreds of pics majority don't even bother looking or sharing them. They took it viewed them a few times and basically stored them away.

Seriously I doubt there's a big difference between say the moto X Play and Note 7. Meaning can the average really tell the difference. I think it's just bragging rights.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 28, 2005
281 posts
45 upvotes
Are there any previous gen Xperia phones that are worth considering once the XZ comes out that might drop in price? I'm currently looking for a replacement for my Lumia 830, which was stolen.

I like having the dedicated 2-step camera button and noticed that some Xperia phones have this. Also currently considering the Lumia 950 since its price has dropped to $550 new with free display dock now.

Also how is the hands free experience on the Xperia line? For all the flak Windows 10 gets, I found Cortana to work really well in the car (compared to S Voice on my older Galaxy S3).
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13820 posts
1406 upvotes
Toronto
rcxAsh wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 12:27 pm
Are there any previous gen Xperia phones that are worth considering once the XZ comes out that might drop in price? I'm currently looking for a replacement for my Lumia 830, which was stolen.

I like having the dedicated 2-step camera button and noticed that some Xperia phones have this. Also currently considering the Lumia 950 since its price has dropped to $550 new with free display dock now.

Also how is the hands free experience on the Xperia line? For all the flak Windows 10 gets, I found Cortana to work really well in the car (compared to S Voice on my older Galaxy S3).
It's current-gen, but the X Performance is basically the same phone with a different camera and a slightly different body. I'm hoping the price will drop a bit once the XZ comes out and I can pick up a dual SIM version.

The XA Ultra looks pretty nice too, but it's slower and the screen isn't as nice. It's big though, and it has a better selfie camera than these ones.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12247 posts
3900 upvotes
Oakville
laihama wrote:
DSLRs are great for high quality photos that you plan on printing. For everyday snapshots, DSLRs are very much overkill. And a pain in the ass to carry around. As the saying goes, "The best camera is the one that you have with you." Having a "good enough" camera that you can carry around in your pocket is a huge deal, and when the camera is crap (when there are other, very good, camera phones available), that can be enough to make it a make or break feature for many many people. Having said that... Most flagship phones' cameras these days are PLENTY good enough, and it really is turning into a bit of a nitpicking situation (the only thing that would sway me in a phone's camera these days is exceptional no-flash low light performance, to be honest).

As far as the XZ goes... Engadget seemed to like it: The Xperia XZ is the 2016 flagship phone Sony should've made first
Public Mobile
Nov 7, 2013
353 posts
75 upvotes
the 604
Apple and Samsung put out iterative phones this year, but they are actually pretty compelling. but Sony just doesn't ring my bell with the XZ. it kind of feels like the Xperia line just needed to do MORE and better. IMO: they should focus on the Compact line, which until the X was pretty damn good.

Sony, pls:

a) make a Compact XZ @ 4.7" or 4.8" max, full HD is fine, but otherwise full compliment of hardware
b) don't skimp on the fingerprint reader
c) don't skimp on ingress protection
d) improve your front facing speakers
e) stay away from plastic "ceramic" feel
f) make 64GB, dual sim, worldwide LTE bands standard
g) update your camera software to match S7 focusing speeds
h) don't price it like those idiots @ HTC did with their 10
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
WildPegasus wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 10:27 am
Do you have your dSLR in your pocket with you at all times? Does your dSLR have an app to post your pics on social media? Most people don't keep their pictures for later memories these days. They share them online and a smartphone camera is the easiest way to do that.
No, I don't have a dSLR at all times, but that wasn't my point. I never said that a camera phone wasn't useful. What I am questioning is the obsession with camera quality on a phone. If someone is really that obsessed with picture quality, go with a dSLR, IMO. Besides, your phone will have dirt and oil all over the uncovered lens. Most likely, you're going to use your thumb to rub it clean if you're going to wipe it at all. At this point, the difference between an iPhone camera and a Sony camera is negligible.

I'm not a millenial so I don't do social networking. I do however use instant messaging. The IM app will compress the picture and degrade the quality anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
wearysky wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 3:01 pm
DSLRs are great for high quality photos that you plan on printing. For everyday snapshots, DSLRs are very much overkill. And a pain in the ass to carry around. As the saying goes, "The best camera is the one that you have with you." Having a "good enough" camera that you can carry around in your pocket is a huge deal, and when the camera is crap (when there are other, very good, camera phones available), that can be enough to make it a make or break feature for many many people. Having said that... Most flagship phones' cameras these days are PLENTY good enough, and it really is turning into a bit of a nitpicking situation (the only thing that would sway me in a phone's camera these days is exceptional no-flash low light performance, to be honest).

As far as the XZ goes... Engadget seemed to like it: The Xperia XZ is the 2016 flagship phone Sony should've made first
Agreed. I always consider flagship phones and I wouldn't pixel peep the differences between the photos from phones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1701 posts
264 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
laihama wrote:
I never understood why people care about camera quality on a phone. You can buy the latest iPhone and the picture quality can't compare to an entry-level dSLR at half the price.
I understand you a bit, if you're a photographer or like taking pictures, then probably cell phone cameras are a blasphemy for you :)
But I will never carry DSLR with me, even on vacation don't want to lug this thing around.
These days cameras in cell phone are really great for majority of people, only the picky ones or photographers will bein favours of carrying dslr.