• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 2:16 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 14, 2013
178 posts
10 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
I've always had the impression that Sony smartphones had very good power management and battery life. Really tempted to jump ship from my Nexus 6P to an Xperia XZ. Any reason why I shouldn't?
If it's not free, it's too expensive...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1772 posts
272 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Really impressive video, so smooth.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2021 posts
116 upvotes
I am done with Sony for now
Just can not see myself supporting a company releasing two very similar flagship phones in just 4 months (X performance - XZ)
Seriously what were they thinking? even Samsung (the worst when it to flooding the market) is better than this

This phone is bigger than Galaxy S7 yet packed with
-smaller battery
-lower res. screen (I do not mind on this one)
-less RAM (seriously? try to make somewhat different than your X performance)
-improved camera / video camera performance (compared to X Performance, not sure if this can beat S7 but highly doubt it)
-hefty price tag
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1772 posts
272 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Smaller battery and less ram doesnt mean anything these days, other than bragging rights.
Optimization of battery life and ram is whats important, software is more important than throwing in a little more mah or ram.
Not saying that Sony has it worked out, maybe they do maybe they dont.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14096 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
drewbot wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 8:30 am
toyopl wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 7:37 am
Finally up for order from US, but no free headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-XZ-U ... =xperia+xz

Still cheaper and +headphones to order from UK
The US also doesn't get the fingerprint reader, whereas the UK does. Pretty key point there.
Why does everyone wet their pants over fingerprint readers anyway? And why do they think it has anything to do with making your phone secure?

All I hear in every review nowadays is this:
"It's so secure! I can never change my password and I leave it literally everywhere I touch! Even all over the phone! People can also get me to unlock it by force or while I'm asleep!"

It's a really bad idea that got popular for some reason.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1361 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 10:41 am
Why does everyone wet their pants over fingerprint readers anyway? And why do they think it has anything to do with making your phone secure?

All I hear in every review nowadays is this:
"It's so secure! I can never change my password and I leave it literally everywhere I touch! Even all over the phone! People can also get me to unlock it by force or while I'm asleep!"

It's a really bad idea that got popular for some reason.
The biggest benefit of fingerprint readers is that you are reasonably protected if your phone gets stolen or you forget it somewhere. Since it is convenient, a large number of people can utilize that benefit without putting in a longer password.

I don't think anyone expects fingerprint readers to be secure against a determined attacker.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1772 posts
272 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Dont use fingerprint scanner and I dont care for one.
Set up fingerprint scanner for my wife on her phone, she still swipes to open :)
So in our family fingerprint scanners are totally not needed.
Aug 25, 2015
815 posts
175 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zjhehe wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 7:02 pm
I've always had the impression that Sony smartphones had very good power management and battery life. Really tempted to jump ship from my Nexus 6P to an Xperia XZ. Any reason why I shouldn't?
sony has great battery life, a very good camera in manual mode. the one thing i'd consider, if you're looking to put your phone in a case, their phones have a tendency to overheat and either the front or back plate will come unglue. my z3c did last summer and is currently hanging by the corner. i did put it in a case as its very slippery. never thought with the heat, it'll come unglue. worst of all, my G4 died so i'm stuck having to use this z3c as backup. its scary stuff. otherwise, they are great phones just some design flaws
Jul 14, 2013
178 posts
10 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 11:39 pm
zjhehe wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 7:02 pm
sony has great battery life, a very good camera in manual mode. the one thing i'd consider, if you're looking to put your phone in a case, their phones have a tendency to overheat and either the front or back plate will come unglue. my z3c did last summer and is currently hanging by the corner. i did put it in a case as its very slippery. never thought with the heat, it'll come unglue. worst of all, my G4 died so i'm stuck having to use this z3c as backup. its scary stuff. otherwise, they are great phones just some design flaws
Thanks, that's good to know. I was sorta eyeing the Sony Xperia XZ and just using it naked (without a case, not without clothes). Just hoping that Sony's standby time will hold up as i just shootout messages and read books throughout the day.
If it's not free, it's too expensive...
Sep 6, 2009
144 posts
46 upvotes
re-using the same camera from x-performance with software "tweaks"
x-performance camera was underwhelming compared to s7 and probably ip7 as well now that it's out
getting real tired of sony re-using the same components over iterations, especially on flagships
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16618 posts
356 upvotes
Hope there is a zx 2 next year. The Xperia z was the best phone I ever had. I'd go back Sony in an instant one I'm due to upgrade from 6p.