Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833 $348.09

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2015 11:54 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
domo325 wrote: How did you get it for $250? Kijiji?
Got Nexus 5 for free on 2 year in Dec 2013 when it came out. Used it for a year, sold it for $250. Bought the Z ultra unlocked for $500 at the Sony store. $500-250=250 out of my pocket.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
should probably hold off for a deal on the Note 3/4 as that one has a flashlight.
Mayosandwich wrote: Got Nexus 5 for free on 2 year in Dec 2013 when it came out. Used it for a year, sold it for $250. Bought the Z ultra unlocked for $500 at the Sony store. $500-250=250 out of my pocket.
:lol: :lol:
Jul 10, 2006
441 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Mayosandwich wrote: Got Nexus 5 for free on 2 year in Dec 2013 when it came out. Used it for a year, sold it for $250. Bought the Z ultra unlocked for $500 at the Sony store. $500-250=250 out of my pocket.
Yes, but don't you miss the Nexus 5 for the camera (optical image stabilizing and better quality pictures) and the wireless charging?

I guess we shouldn't complain so much since the price is dirt cheap for an otherwise high quality phone.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
pocket1 wrote: Yes, but don't you miss the Nexus 5 for the camera (optical image stabilizing and better quality pictures) and the wireless charging?

I guess we shouldn't complain so much since the price is dirt cheap for an otherwise high quality phone.
I dont miss anything on the Nexus 5, since I found it to be a very average phone. No more shouting into the mic like a walkie talkie on the Sony, the call quality is so much better on the Z ultra its an insult to Sony to even compare the two. After 2 hours getting the Z ultra, I knew there was no going back.
Oct 26, 2001
603 posts
138 upvotes
Saskatoon
This phone looks awesome, even though it's a little old. I'm tempted!
Is it still recognized as a phone by Google Play? I'm wondering if you can get things like Battlefield Commander and such working on it(only runs on tablets), without sideloading APKs.
Feb 17, 2005
74 posts
84 upvotes
Yes this phone is very old with outdated tech.You are much better to buy the phone on today's deal of the day. The newly released Samsung GALAXY Note Edge is a steal for ONLY $1,143.74. Maybe you should get two ?
Jul 20, 2011
34 posts
6 upvotes
VICTORIA
I've got this and an one+, and feel that the Sony is a superior phone in most aspects. Once you use a phone of this size, it'll be hard to go back to a regular phone.
Oct 17, 2013
245 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond Hill
this phone has amazing -- and still relevant -- state of the art specs

the fatal flaw though is it's screen which has an embedded digitizer

the whole xperia z lineup (including the z3 compact, z3, etc) have this design defect, as the screens are practically too thin for daily usage

eventually, your ultra Z's screen will crack irregardless of whether it was you in your pocket or how you've treated it

sony is 50/50 on the warranty otherwise you'll be out ~$200 for a replacement

caveat emptor; there's a reason why this phone with premium specs is heavily discounted at it's price
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
alissah wrote: this phone has amazing -- and still relevant -- state of the art specs

the fatal flaw though is it's screen which has an embedded digitizer

the whole xperia z lineup (including the z3 compact, z3, etc) have this design defect, as the screens are practically too thin for daily usage

eventually, your ultra Z's screen will crack irregardless of whether it was you in your pocket or how you've treated it

sony is 50/50 on the warranty otherwise you'll be out ~$200 for a replacement

caveat emptor; there's a reason why this phone with premium specs is heavily discounted at it's price
So I've owned the Z1 since release and have not had it crack, its not common for everyone. I also own the Z3 Compact since release (UK version) and have yet to have it crack or do anything that you speak of. I also have other friends who own the Z1/Z3 lines and none of them have had it crack either.
Oct 17, 2013
245 posts
55 upvotes
Richmond Hill
refraxion wrote: So I've owned the Z1 since release and have not had it crack, its not common for everyone. I also own the Z3 Compact since release (UK version) and have yet to have it crack or do anything that you speak of. I also have other friends who own the Z1/Z3 lines and none of them have had it crack either.
compare your sample size to the relevant data over the interweb

i've already established that the ultra z is an amazing phone but potential buyers need to be aware of a potential screen repair that will cost $250 in addition to the base price of the phone

and hate to be a pessimist in the context of memento mori but your xperia z devices screen will eventually crack; it's a known defect within sony, be sure to document all evidence and immediately halt usage
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
refraxion wrote: So I've owned the Z1 since release and have not had it crack, its not common for everyone.
Unfortunately it is a pretty common issue. Kept me away from buying a Sony phone.
Hopefully you will not have to deal with this issue.
Sony is also seem to be in quiet a bit of financial trouble, and considering exiting the mobile business all together.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
alissah wrote: compare your sample size to the relevant data over the interweb

i've already established that the ultra z is an amazing phone but potential buyers need to be aware of a potential screen repair that will cost $250 in addition to the base price of the phone

and hate to be a pessimist in the context of memento mori but your xperia z devices screen will eventually crack; it's a known defect within sony, be sure to document all evidence and immediately halt usage
I have no doubt that the screen on the Z ultra is easier to crack compared to other phones simply due to the thinness of the device. But its not as severe as many make it out to be. Its not just the Z ultra, but Sony phones in general. The Z1 had defects in the earlier builds but that phone is much older than the Z ultra. I know people who had many Sony Z phones and never had any cracks.

Seeing how most people treat their phones and gadgets these days, it doesnt surprise me. Very few people actually treat their phone with care, that includes not dropping it, sitting on it or letting your dog run all over it. Just look at all the iphone repair shops, thats why we see so many mom and pop ones that have opened up the past few years because the money is there to be had. All these fruitheads treating their phones like garbage and they wonder why the screens crack over and over again. Gee. Really?

I have owned many phones and never once dropped any of them or had to get any repaired. Ive used many phones before even without a case for extended periods of time and the phone is still perfect condition when I came to sell it. And here we have others who have massive cases on theirs and yet they still manage to crack their screens and butcher their casing. It baffles me. You go the extra distance looking after your phone and it will look after you. But unfortunately most people treat their phones like they do their cars. They run them into the ground.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
alissah wrote: compare your sample size to the relevant data over the interweb

I am not an owner of the Z Ultra, but just saying I've not had an issue. I owned a Z1, my gf still has a Z1. I moved on to Z3C and I just don't know how people are using their phones? I can't be that lucky. FWIW I have very bad luck with most electronic purchases (DOA etc) but these phones have never done me wrong.
Oct 11, 2007
499 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
For those of you looking for a case, the Incipio DualPro Shine (model SE-234) is a great case. I purchased mine from Go cellular. Ca. For $35. With free shipping.
Took 3 weeks to arrive but worth the wait. Amazon and Ebay also have them but are a bit more expensive.

Fits the phone like a glove, looks amazing and feels terrific in the hand. Excellent protection as well.

The only downside is the case covers the dock charge port so would have to use the micro USB port to charge.

My setup is this case with a glass tempered screen protector.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1589 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
i've owned 3 ultras (black, white locked, white unlocked), the original z, z1, z2, all of them never had a single crack on the front or back glass.
I take good care of my phones.
just go to pacific mall and get the front/back screen protector for $10. it works wonderfully.
Oct 29, 2009
403 posts
74 upvotes
Loving my Z Ultra, wouldn't go back to a small phone.
Oct 28, 2012
967 posts
165 upvotes
EDMONTON
SpectralMeat wrote: Unfortunately it is a pretty common issue. Kept me away from buying a Sony phone.
Hopefully you will not have to deal with this issue.
Sony is also seem to be in quiet a bit of financial trouble, and considering exiting the mobile business all together.
For someone with 4 Z devices (2-Z ultra, Z1, and Z2) in the house with no crack, no this is not a common issue. in fact, all the Z dragontail front glass panels is stronger than most Gorilla glasses that are on mnost iphones Galaxy out there. And it doesn't matter what Sony mobile is doing, they sold off their VIAO division, but still covers after sales warranty and service until it runs out. I don't see how Sony is doing should affect anyone from buying any of their phones. All bunch of non sense and trying to steer people away from this awesome deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2078 posts
2140 upvotes
Buenos Aires/Monaco
Ive had my Z Ultra for about 2 years now and haven't experienced any cracks or defects. I usually have mine in a case.
Jul 10, 2006
441 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Deal is dead. Z Ultra back to regular price. Black for 374.99. White for 364.99 (plus shipping and tax).