Off Topic Archive

Locked: Sore throat for 3 weeks. What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2011 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3433 posts
265 upvotes
Thornhill

Sore throat for 3 weeks. What to do?

Had a sore throat for the last 3 weeks on an off. Especially in the morning, very painful to swallow. Would usually disappear after a hot meal.
Went to the doctor and was told that I probably have a flu and there is no medicine for that. All the Buckleys(which does NOT work) and other stuff are to just make it easy for you to live through it,until you get better. I did have some cough too in the first week,but now it's just a sore throat.

So, there's nothing out there for that? I never had a sore throat for more than 2-4 days. 3 weeks seems a bit insane! :(
Share:
36 replies
Banned
Sep 24, 2009
454 posts
Toronto - scarboroug…
Stop swallowing ;)

LOL, on a serious note.....eat a lot of honey straight out of the bottle and drink a lot of tea (with honey), if you stay sick I for another week or 2 I would go back to the doctor...You could have a throat infection and require some real medicine...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
See the doctor again and get a swab sample to be checked for strep. Three weeks sounds too long.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Mar 5th, 2011 12:32 pm
See the doctor again and get a swab sample to be checked for strep. Three weeks sounds too long.

In the meanwhile, just consign yourself to drinking a lot of hot liquids as to keep the soreness down/away until everything's over.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7004 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Gargle with salt water or an antiseptic mouthwash. Also, flu doesn't last 3 weeks - you must be having a secondary infection.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2359 posts
173 upvotes
I would just get a sharp knife and cut it off.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Apr 29, 2008
42 posts
I had what I thought was a sore throat for over a week so I went to the doctors and found out that I just had a big canker sore right by my throat. That last for about two weeks or so. Would hurt when I swallow or irritate it some other way but sometimes would feel like my throat is fine.
Other than the cough in the first week, you don't have any other symptoms other than the sore throat?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1706 posts
73 upvotes
Barrie
See another doctor.

I had a horrible sore throat, went to a walk in, the doc said its viral, can't do anything. After a week of going crazy I went to another doc, he did a swab, and I had an infection.

3 weeks is a long time, go get it checked again
Jul 5, 2004
21631 posts
1720 upvotes
Do you snore when you sleep? If you do, you could be severely irritating your throat, causing the soreness.

It's much more likely to be illness related, but everyone else said that already, so I thought I'd throw something else out there
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
A couple of years ago, I had something similar and the infection spread into my sinus cavity. The most painful two weeks I can remember. Go see a doctor or get another doctor's opinion.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2203 posts
80 upvotes
Burlington
Likely an infection. I know my first year in university I caught something and I couldn't swallow anything past water. Hell, when I tried to drink my coffee in the morning I couldn't even swallow the milk that was mixed in. But in any case, check with your doctor get a swab done likely an infection that they should have some good antibiotics to throw you on for a week or two and you'll be back on your feet.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
Could be mono.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38138 posts
933 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xalex0 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2011 12:53 pm
Gargle with salt water or an antiseptic mouthwash. Also, flu doesn't last 3 weeks - you must be having a secondary infection.

^^This

1 tablespoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water, mix until it becomes a solution. If it doesn't taste salty then you didn't add enough. Gurgle for >10 seconds into the throat area before spitting it back out, and complete the whole cup.

If you go through 3 cups a day, you should be completed cured after one week max. It's more effective if you keep the cup with you and gurgle once every so often instead of gurgling the whole cup at once, but some people can't be bothered. I usually keep the cup in the washroom and do half a cup everytime I go to the washroom. Doing this, the longest I've had was 4-5 days.
× < >