Home & Garden

Soundproofing Small Bathroom -- Best Solution?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 1:45 am
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
812 posts
32 upvotes
London

Soundproofing Small Bathroom -- Best Solution?

I have a very small bathroom on the main floor; toilet and sink only. It is already drywalled and painted. When one goes to use the area everything can be heard through the walls and doors no problem. I want to greatly reduce the noise coming out of the bathroom.

The bathroom measures about 46" x 70" and around 78" tall. There are 2 doors for entry/exit both being solid core doors from Home Depot. Behind the drywall there is Roxul Safe & Sound + Resilient Channel. None of this has helped with the noise coming from the bathroom. It's as if the doors are wide open. I've added some weather stripping around the door stop + door sweep but that didnt help.

I want to explore soundproofing all the walls within the tiny bathroom -- those soundproof wall foam tiles or maybe some drape all look interesting. Can you please recommend a PROVEN solution for my small bathroom?
12 replies
Nov 16, 2013
229 posts
25 upvotes
Mississauga
We also have the same issue and looking for options
rosario99 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:32 pm
I have a very small bathroom on the main floor; toilet and sink only. It is already drywalled and painted. When one goes to use the area everything can be heard through the walls and doors no problem. I want to greatly reduce the noise coming out of the bathroom.

The bathroom measures about 46" x 70" and around 78" tall. There are 2 doors for entry/exit both being solid core doors from Home Depot. Behind the drywall there is Roxul Safe & Sound + Resilient Channel. None of this has helped with the noise coming from the bathroom. It's as if the doors are wide open. I've added some weather stripping around the door stop + door sweep but that didnt help.

I want to explore soundproofing all the walls within the tiny bathroom -- those soundproof wall foam tiles or maybe some drape all look interesting. Can you please recommend a PROVEN solution for my small bathroom?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3366 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
- Green Glue and a sheet of 5/8 drywall on top of existing drywall.
- Purposely get a fan that isn't quiet, so the noise from the fan will mask the noises.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3708 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Get a noisey ventilation fan... easiest and likely cheapest option.

Not sure how you can really sound-proof such a small room that has 2 doors.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2325 posts
518 upvotes
Newmarket
I would say first identify the problem area. Open the door, compare the noise to closed door, then create mock up door with some sound proofing materials, if that improves the situation you know the door is the problem and not the walls. There probably are much better sound proofed door than solid core HD. If the walls are the problem than you leave the door and tackle the wall. My guess would be the door.
Let us know what you came up with.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1613 posts
167 upvotes
As others have said, a cheapo Braun ventilation fan should do the trick.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4127 posts
429 upvotes
Calgary
Sounds like most of what can be done has been done, the only solution:
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8077 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What sounds are you hearing exactly, is it the pipes when the toilet is flushed or is it when somebody is actually using the bathroom?

It sounds like it may be your door since you did everything else already. The only other thing I could suggest is to use sound proof drywall which will help (i think its 8 sheets in 1)

Do you happen to have a Heat/AC vent in the bathroom that's also shared with a room beside the bathroom? Its possible the sound is travelling from there also.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2689 posts
700 upvotes
Paris
Anywhere there is light around the door is where the sound is coming from.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8194 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
if you want to sound proof the bathroon, take down all 4 walls, use cement cinder blocks,, cement the floor, use steel reinforced metal doors for outdoor use, insulate, then dry wall.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13299 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
I've written in many threads about soundproofing, name the sounds your experiencing then it can be addressed (yes i know TMI).
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts