• Aug 15th, 2014 10:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes

Soundproofing a water pump

Recently had some issues with my water pump where it wouldnt shut off when it hit its designated pressure. One of those things you dont notice running since your used to it until it clicks in your head its been on for awhile. Thankfully we were home at the time, as if we werent it wouldnt of shut off and burned out the pump.

Figured out it was the high limit switch which I fixed.

Anyway afetr working on it got to thinking maybe of finding a way to deaden the sound more. Its not thats its super loud, its located in the furnace room, but it is noticable when in the basement. We have gotten used to it, not that it runs all the time, but maybe for guests when they stay over.

Im sure I would need some venting, but I dont think something covering would hurt it much for heat.

Any ideas would be great
15 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
oneseasonleft wrote: maybe get a less noisy water pump?
Would cost a lot, and a lot of work, when this option is less costly and way less work.

Why replace something that works perfectly.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Northofseven wrote: Sump pump or well pump ?
Cistern pump. Which is the same as a well pump.

Its is on a small wood platform so its not in direct contact with the concrete, so Im sure that helps some
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Cistern pump. Which is the same as a well pump.

Its is on a small wood platform so its not in direct contact with the concrete, so Im sure that helps some
probably your wood is vibrating causing noise.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
oneseasonleft wrote: probably your wood is vibrating causing noise.
Its not a vibration, just the sound of the pump working. Just want to to deaden it some
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Its not a vibration, just the sound of the pump working. Just want to to deaden it some
sound could be amplified by the piece of wood. try standing on the wood and see if it helps.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Rubber pad under the wood to act as an vibration absorb-er and do some experimentation , try a cardboard box over the pump , if it makes a difference try an insulated box etc. Just make sure there is enough venting for cooling the the motor.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2720 posts
1462 upvotes
Ottawa
Make an enclosure with Sonopan. You could probably do it with one 4x8 sheet.

http://materiauxspecl.com/en/products/s ... an-ii.aspx

Rona carries it here in Ottawa. Saw a demo at a trade show once - very impressive sound attenuation & not very expensive.

I agree with the posters above about the wood mount. I'd be tempted to bolt it to one of those newfangled rubber 2'x2' "patio stones". Again, not expensive.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
Northofseven wrote: Rubber pad under the wood to act as an vibration absorb-er and do some experimentation , try a cardboard box over the pump , if it makes a difference try an insulated box etc. Just make sure there is enough venting for cooling the the motor.
Or some styrofoam would do the trick. You could place springs between the motor mounts and the wood too, this stops sound travel
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11212 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
Do they make pumps that go inside the cistern, like a well pump does?
Feb 23, 2013
499 posts
51 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Why not sound proof the entire furnace room? It's would reduce the noise made by the other appliances too.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Northofseven wrote: Rubber pad under the wood to act as an vibration absorb-er and do some experimentation , try a cardboard box over the pump , if it makes a difference try an insulated box etc. Just make sure there is enough venting for cooling the the motor.
Unable to put anything under the wood. Its not a stand, just a piece of plywood, and its glued/silconed to the floor. Probably so the vibration, etc wouldnt move the pump around.

What I need is one of those old school styrofoam coolers. That would fit the bill and easy to cut to fit
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Oldmaster wrote: Why not sound proof the entire furnace room? It's would reduce the noise made by the other appliances too.
Thats an idea, also more money and more time than I really want to put towards it. COuld be an winter project though, just friction fit between the studs with rigid styrofoam and leave it since its a furnace room
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
smacd wrote: Do they make pumps that go inside the cistern, like a well pump does?
Im sure they do, for new construction, not for something thats been setup for years.