• Jul 13th, 2010 10:54 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[The Source] The Source: Centrios Hi-Fi Internet Radio / CD Micro System $99.98

It looks like The Source has a pretty good deal on an internet radio system at the moment. It's the Centrios Hi-Fi Internet Radio / CD Micro System for $99.98.

This unit works as an internet radio, CD player, AM/FM radio, and alarm clock and it includes an 802.11b/g Wi-Fi dongle so you can connect wirelessly to your network. A $100 Sanyo internet radio (which I bought, dangit) featured in a Days of Deals event not too long ago didn't have extra perks like the CD player or 40 presets.

Based on the 23 customer reviews, it looks like people are pretty satisfied with the product. Also note that you can have items shipped for free to The Source retail locations for local pickup.

36 replies
Apr 28, 2008
227 posts
30 upvotes
mississauga
the fan (which is always on) inside this unit is ridiculously loud. if you are in the same room as this unit you WILL hear the fan above the music.. unless of course the volume is to max
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1989 posts
717 upvotes
Barrie
triniboy75 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 2:53 pm
the fan (which is always on) inside this unit is ridiculously loud. if you are in the same room as this unit you WILL hear the fan above the music.. unless of course the volume is to max
I am thinking you may have a defective unit, the one I listened to didn't have that affect.
Apr 28, 2008
227 posts
30 upvotes
mississauga
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 2:54 pm
I am thinking you may have a defective unit, the one I listened to didn't have that affect.
this was in the store. when the customer service guy turned it on and i heard the fan i did not buy it.. numerous reviews on the CC site state the fan is extremely loud
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
1813 posts
177 upvotes
Indeed the fan is too loud but it needs a lot ventilation space. The system does work well enough (Shoutcast station portfolio) and has some interesting features like mp3 from SDHC or USB and some weird like the wireless setup or the navigation menu.
The sound is just OK but then how many stations are more than 128Kbps stream? It sure lacks a woofer.

At this price, it is the lowest priced iradio (DELL did a promo of the SANYO for that price too) and is very usable.

Cheers
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10988 posts
14487 upvotes
Price wise this is a good deal but I don't know about the quality. I have the Sanyo radio and that is a great high quality radio.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1723 posts
451 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 8:52 pm
Price wise this is a good deal but I don't know about the quality. I have the Sanyo radio and that is a great high quality radio.
+1 for the Sanyo. Nice radio.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15522 posts
962 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 8:52 pm
Considering the Sanyo has been on sale for the same price imho the Centrios one really needs to be @ around the $50 mark to get people interested.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wegmans- ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
1813 posts
177 upvotes
NG wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 10:49 pm
Considering the Sanyo has been on sale for the same price imho the Centrios one really needs to be @ around the $50 mark to get people interested.
You are quite right as this has been on "sale" a few x in TSCC flyers at $100 in the last few weeks and is peddled by RFID too. I suspect they have a warehouse full of this and might take a loss on the lot. $100 is for those who understand and want iradio and $50 is for the usual RFID cock following the its-cheap-ill-buy-it-even-I-dont-need-it.

The SANYO has been on sale once for one day at $100 and its price is more like $150.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3861 posts
564 upvotes
Kingston
Which Sanyo are you guys talking about?
I've been interested in buyin a wifi radio, but I'm not sure what the best one to get is..
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1723 posts
451 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 11:13 pm
Which Sanyo are you guys talking about?
I've been interested in buyin a wifi radio, but I'm not sure what the best one to get is..
It's this one. I'm waiting for Dell to put it on sale again for under $100 so I can get another one.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3861 posts
564 upvotes
Kingston
CalgaryRunner wrote:
Mar 18th, 2009 11:18 pm
It's this one. I'm waiting for Dell to put it on sale again for under $100 so I can get another one.

Looks nice. Only 8 presets tho. And how many radio stations are on the net. hmmmm..

Between this centrino one, the sanyo and the Squeezebox, what one is better?
Apr 1, 2004
316 posts
43 upvotes
High River
I love the sanyo iradio, I use it everyday and it has yet to disappoint. Waiting for dell to put it on sale again, for friends and family.
Sep 6, 2007
263 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Come on, this is the thread for the Centrios, not the Sanyo... anyone has the experience with the Centrios one?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10988 posts
14487 upvotes
bbhunter2007 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2009 12:57 am
Come on, this is the thread for the Centrios, not the Sanyo... anyone has the experience with the Centrios one?
If you go to the link on the Source site, there are quite a few reviews of it.
The main complaint is a noisy fan. But why they need a fan is beyond me.
Have a nice day!