[The Source] The Source - Terk TV55 HDTV Antenna $19.96 from $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 4:29 pm
Tags:
Apr 7, 2006
221 posts
90 upvotes

[The Source] The Source - Terk TV55 HDTV Antenna $19.96 from $149.99

For those of you who prefer to use OTA TV, The Source is selling the Terk TV55 antenna for $19.96.
Regular price was $149.99. Search 1518239 will get you the item, but search on Terk will not find it.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=1518239

Picked one up and it works for my location. Like most antennas, your location and positioning of the
antenna will give different results. Worth it for the low price, but not worth the full regular price.
Of course, The Source has a 30 day return policy, so you get to try it at your location to decide to
keep it or not.
55 replies
Jun 1, 2009
793 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
For the savings alone I think I'll check out ... though I think the Source has a in-house fee for returning products ... esp since this is on clearance ...thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3473 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Pretty large price drop, even for the source.

Would be great for the cottage I bet, no stock for me though. Thx anyways!
TheQuestion wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 11:35 pm
For the savings alone I think I'll check out ... though I think the Source has a in-house fee for returning products ... esp since this is on clearance ...thanks
Nope no fees or hassles, even on clearance items. Not in my experience anyways.

I had to return a few clearance items this year, and even a few due to them dropping the price even more! They were perfectly fine with taking things back or refunding the difference in price. They don't technically specify their items as clearance in-store (or on receipt) so that might have a lot to do with it too.

The only real catch is their 30day policy, very strict on that one.
I'm not on the can right now, I swear
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
Calling it 'amplified' is pretty misleading, IMHO. Its basically just your run-of-the-mill omindirectional stick antenna, which naturally includes a little big of gain because of its physical dimensions.

Can someone confirm that "the source's" return policy is pretty liberal? I want to buy a RF amplifier for OTA HDTV from them, to try out on my existing setup. But I don't want to be stuck with a $100 piece of hardware if it doesn't work.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Oct 3, 2010
611 posts
229 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
I have this antenna that i bought for 50 bucks a few years ago. It's a very basic one and i woulnt recommend it for remote locations. Mine is installed inside with a direct line with a antenna at Montreal and i can watch 6 channels. Reception is sometimes bad, i'm thinking about installing it outside. Worth a try if you think your location is good.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2018 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
Im also in montreal with a bowtie antenna.. I get
2 6 10 12 15 17 35 62 all with perfect reception just south of villeray. antennas are either on the mt-royal or around papineau/viger
Jun 7, 2009
179 posts
216 upvotes
An RF Amplifier is a vital piece of equipment for improving your signal reception: it amplifies the signal from your antenna. They're only ~$35 at The Source and an excellent investment in equipment. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category ... Amplifiers

Best bet is 1501118 as it is 10dB of amplification (that's about 400% amplification; as 3dB = doubling), 1501116 would also be a good choice as its 8dB for each of its 2 outputs (so you can use 2 TV tuners). 1501116 only list 2dB as it's splitting the signal so many ways: so it would be useful only if you already have a clear signal and just want to split the signal to multiple TVs.

Now it's not a guarantee your reception will be improved because that depends on the quality of the signal you're receiving (SNR: signal to noise ratio). Think of a static-y radio signal: amplifying it will only give you more static. Think of a faint (but clear) radio station: amplifying will do wonders. Having an unobstructed 'line of sight' between your antenna and the TV station's antenna is the best way to start.

There's some really good info out there on antennas, but also a lot of crap. People at The Source probably won't be of any help with this as they're trained to sell you on Bell's HD service.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1568 posts
752 upvotes
Montreal
My Monster power bar has an RF pass-through. Would that do the same job as an amplifier?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26827 posts
401 upvotes
Ottawa
Bulletwithbatwings wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 8:02 am
My Monster power bar has an RF pass-through. Would that do the same job as an amplifier?
Monster?

What're you doing on RFD?
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Sep 11, 2012
491 posts
131 upvotes
I don't have a tv in my room. If i were to buy this antenna and a TV tuner card for PC, would they work together?
Apr 19, 2010
279 posts
21 upvotes
Boucherville
cataplexy wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 9:12 am
I don't have a tv in my room. If i were to buy this antenna and a TV tuner card for PC, would they work together?
It should.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1789 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
it is a basic antenna that amplifies the noise in the coax. I have the RCA version of this.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2465 posts
115 upvotes
Brampton
Yeah, wouldn't a generic 4-bay antenna do better for the same price?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1568 posts
752 upvotes
Montreal
bubble.tea wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 9:06 am
Monster?

What're you doing on RFD?
Lol I bought it 7 years ago, when I didn't know any better.
× < >