• Jan 2nd, 2013 4:29 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
littlechuan wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:25 am
Anybody knows if Vancouver got HD channels from broadcast? Thanks in advance.
If you want to know what channels you should be receiving, go to TV Fool and enter your address.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2502 posts
168 upvotes
matt2_m416 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 12:22 am
An RF Amplifier is a vital piece of equipment for improving your signal reception: it amplifies the signal from your antenna. They're only ~$35 at The Source and an excellent investment in equipment. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category ... Amplifiers

Best bet is 1501118 as it is 10dB of amplification (that's about 400% amplification; as 3dB = doubling), 1501116 would also be a good choice as its 8dB for each of its 2 outputs (so you can use 2 TV tuners). 1501116 only list 2dB as it's splitting the signal so many ways: so it would be useful only if you already have a clear signal and just want to split the signal to multiple TVs.

Now it's not a guarantee your reception will be improved because that depends on the quality of the signal you're receiving (SNR: signal to noise ratio). Think of a static-y radio signal: amplifying it will only give you more static. Think of a faint (but clear) radio station: amplifying will do wonders. Having an unobstructed 'line of sight' between your antenna and the TV station's antenna is the best way to start.

There's some really good info out there on antennas, but also a lot of crap. People at The Source probably won't be of any help with this as they're trained to sell you on Bell's HD service.
Unless you have a great signal you want to split I wouldn't recommend that amp. All noise will be amplified. A good channelmaster at twice the price would be installed at the antenna is a better way to go. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product. ... ct=1509139
There are also other brands for a little less money.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1353 posts
980 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 4:22 pm
got the last one at Rideau center, the salesman didn't want to get that for me, it's in the basement , and ask me buy something else together , so I picked up a iron plus $5 three years warranty. this is a huge bar which is 1.3 meter. Thanks op.
Is this an active model...i.e. need to plug into AC power?
Jun 19, 2010
918 posts
210 upvotes
Riverview
Gotta love how the marketers (and I am one) snow people and jack up prices by 400% by calling an antenna "HD" or "digital." Radio waves are radio waves. Antennas are antennas. The only difference is how directional they are, gain / amplification and how far they can pick up without interference or signal degradation. This thing ain't worth the original price by a long shot.

I totally agree with the comments about Channel Master, a company excelling at the craft for decades.

If you're in the boonies, an omni-directional gizmo like this is not going to do the trick.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2552 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
RedBargainz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 12:32 pm
Is this an active model...i.e. need to plug into AC power?
yes, it need to, but I found turn it on , can't get any channels, turn it off,it's working fine
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3036 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 1:37 pm
yes, it need to, but I found turn it on , can't get any channels, turn it off,it's working fine
how did you mount. I'm having 2nd thoughts as its quite the size
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1258 posts
73 upvotes
Whitby
SanGaai wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 12:37 pm
Not sure what the specs are exactly, but just to give you guys a comparison on another OTA Antenna - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... cification $15.92
That monoprice one works pretty good. I'm in Oshawa and a buddy who has one is in Whitby and we both got over 20 channels with it. It's probably at least as good as the one for the Source.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1578 posts
755 upvotes
Montreal
I installed it indoors facing the correct direction and I still only get a blue screen. I tried switching between air and some other settings and still I get nothing. I'm really noobish at this, so I'd gladly offer thanks to anyone with advice.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2006
223 posts
90 upvotes
Bulletwithbatwings wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:58 pm
I installed it indoors facing the correct direction and I still only get a blue screen. I tried switching between air and some other settings and still I get nothing. I'm really noobish at this, so I'd gladly offer thanks to anyone with advice.
Where are you located in Montreal? Also, which model is the television that you are having issues with? Have you ever used this same TV to catch HDTV with any other antenna?
Try using the antenna without the amp.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
Bulletwithbatwings wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:58 pm
Did you scan for channels once you changed the setting to antenna? (A common mistake) Is the antenna beside a window? It needs line of sight. What channels does your TV Fool report say you should be receiving?
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
822 upvotes
Last time I bought an antenna from the Source I opened the box and it was very well used.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3036 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver
i tested mine inside and had it pointing horizontally and vertically and got about 8 channels.Pointing southeast. Got the following:

CBC
Global
Me TV
Cool Tv
CIVT
CIVI
CBC French

Going to mount it outside and im sure i should get more channels and more stable signal
Mar 7, 2002
238 posts
8 upvotes
Victoria
Picked up one at the Hillside Source.
Put it in the same spot as my "high tech" home made antenna which receives 4 channels
Terk received 2 channels with the amp on or off.
I didn't mount it outside as TVFool says for my location 4 channels is about right.
Pic of my scrap parts antenna.
Probably going to return the Terk, mounting it outside would be interesting, but I don't have a mast. If I take on that project I'll just put my current coathanger up on the roof.
May 13, 2009
95 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just installed it. Put it in the same spot as my friend's homemade piece of wood and 4 coat hangers home brew antenna. The homemade one gets me 13 channels, the Terk gets me 9. I'm going to be returning the Terk as soon as I can :(

Note: I live in downtown Ottawa, pointed it North towards Camp Fortune. Save your money, this is not the best antenna. But if you can't make your own, for $20, it's OK, but DO NOT pay full price for this. Totally not worth it....who am I kidding ... this is RFD, nobody pays full price :P
× < >