Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2434 posts
315 upvotes
Ottawa
juniorkid wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 8:23 pm
Just installed it. Put it in the same spot as my friend's homemade piece of wood and 4 coat hangers home brew antenna. The homemade one gets me 13 channels, the Terk gets me 9. I'm going to be returning the Terk as soon as I can :(

Note: I live in downtown Ottawa, pointed it North towards Camp Fortune. Save your money, this is not the best antenna. But if you can't make your own, for $20, it's OK, but DO NOT pay full price for this. Totally not worth it....who am I kidding ... this is RFD, nobody pays full price :P
I live in downtown Ottawa too, I point it to East, seems getting better signal than before, one things I have turn the amp off to get the channels , turn it on get nothing, really weirded. I will keep it ,it's too big to return.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
2990 posts
402 upvotes
Vancouver
i returned mine to; not the best ; prob look at getting the channel master ones
Jan 5, 2003
575 posts
36 upvotes
The Terk antenna is not bad but I returned mine back to Sears and got a a ClearStream Micron XG with an 8.4dB inline amplifier, it's more expensive but gets more channels for me and is more compact and stylish.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7183 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Time and time again, all the rush for indoor antennae and this one isn't even pretty though not the ugliest :)

Unless you're like above 10th floor facing SE, generally indoor antennae won't get you 'everything'.

Suck it up and get a branded 2 or 4 bay.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1567 posts
752 upvotes
Montreal
Cheap Cat wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 11:58 am
Did you scan for channels once you changed the setting to antenna? (A common mistake) Is the antenna beside a window? It needs line of sight. What channels does your TV Fool report say you should be receiving?
I have an RCA TV that only shows blue, even when I scan. My Samsung (in my basemen, wire passed through the floor) only get CBC, and it's buggy. Without the amp even CBC fails to show up. I live in RDP near the river (NE) and I put the antenna indoors over my patio door facing downtown (SW). Come spring I'll see if i can install it outside on the 2nd floor.
Nov 28, 2003
334 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 4:22 pm
got the last one at Rideau center, the salesman didn't want to get that for me, it's in the basement , and ask me buy something else together , so I picked up a iron plus $5 three years warranty. this is a huge bar which is 1.3 meter. Thanks op.
How many channels are you getting?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2434 posts
315 upvotes
Ottawa
deals wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:17 pm
How many channels are yougetting?
about 15 channels in Ottawa ,but I live at 11th floors at downtown.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
2990 posts
402 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone know where in GVRD for buying antennas locally?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
235 upvotes
If you must buy an antenna then at least check this site first: store.gomohu.com
Prices are very fair and the products are top notch.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Dec 20, 2004
906 posts
264 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I had purchased that one from Monoprice, and it worked fine in my buddies place on 4th floor in central montreal (near Marche Centrale), pointing roughly southwest if I remember correctly... However I build a basic 4 bow tie antenna out of a scrap piece of 2x4, some screws, washers, 75Ohm/300Ohm adapter and 4 coat hangers, and it worked even better than the monoprice one even with the powered amp :) Stronger signal, and on nice days, he can even pull in FOX (used to fade away/super choppy during heavy precipitation). He has since upgraded to a CM4228, and he couldn't be happier.. Has 21 stations, including FOX, super clear, and no criminal monthy feees to Bell for forced channels he never watched...

Price is not everything on these antenna. Design is.. And CM has always had the edge over any generic stuff. Most generic can easily be replicated at home with basic skills and a few decent plans easily found on the net.
× < >