• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 3:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 29, 2018
63 posts
8 upvotes

South India - Chennai -> Kerela

For anyone who been to Chennai/Kerela before, any tips on finding a reliable van/driver for few weeks?
planning to go in June 2018. also any tips on where to stay or how to find one?

Lastly, I heard it's not good to use credit card at any of the shops,
so better to take cash and withdraw money from debit/credit via atm in India?

Thanks.
6 replies
Mar 11, 2011
628 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
We did this trip last year and it was wonderful. I found a well recommended tour agency from Tripadvisor called Indian Panorama. They are located in South India and it is mostly run by women. Absolutely reliable.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_R ... _Nadu.html

We told them where we wanted to go, our budget range and they arranged a car and driver for 3 weeks. The hotel selections were excellent too. They have some sample itineraries on their website: https://indianpanorama.in/tour-itineraries. Click on the South India tab to see several sample itineraries. You can adapt it any way you want and they will give you a price.

By the way, it's going to be terribly hot in Tamil Nadu in June. Perhaps less so in Kerala.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2018
63 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks so much for your reply. I checked out the site and it looks like we have to choose their tours. What we are looking for is 5 of us travel in a van to about 20-30 places from Chennai to Ooty, Mathurai, Kerela, etc, to places we have selected, and no fixed schedule in terms of how much time we can spend at a place.

Please let me know if anyone know any private van/driver person. Thanks.
Mar 11, 2011
628 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
The tours are just suggestions. They will make up an itinerary of whatever you want. That's what we did. You can even just ask them for a vehicle + driver price quote if you want to book your own hotels. It is worth your while to at least get a quote from them.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2018
63 posts
8 upvotes
Hello, thanks! I just discovered that today as well, I e-mailed them other day, and today got reply/realized they can do custom tours with our itinerary, which is perfect!
I just gave them our list of plans.

How was their rates, is it like a package price or by the day or something + km/gas?

Thanks.

46jimbo wrote:
May 24th, 2018 11:11 am
The tours are just suggestions. They will make up an itinerary of whatever you want. That's what we did. You can even just ask them for a vehicle + driver price quote if you want to book your own hotels. It is worth your while to at least get a quote from them.
Mar 11, 2011
628 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
The car and driver were bundled into the package along with the hotels, so I don't know how much that part of the trip cost. Also, we were staying in pretty nice hotels. (online, they often came in at over $100 a night) But you can set your own budget and they will find you hotels in that range. You can check our itinerary here: https://tinyurl.com/yaszndhm )If any of these places coincide with your route, feel free to ask me what was good and what was less good.) We paid $2500 CDN each for the 3 week package.

As you seem to want flexibility and and don't know how long you may wish to stay in a spot, the other option is to hire an different car and driver for each section of the route. This is generally easily arranged with your hotel or from local travel agents. Keep in mind though, that you need a larger van/minibus and these vehicles may not be available everywhere. We saw many people traveling with a car + driver. It is really the best way to go, as the hardest thing in India is getting from A to B.
Jul 6, 2016
12 posts
1 upvote
I am from Kerala , please feel free to ask if you have any questions. I would suggest anyone travelling to south India to check local news every day to see if there is any strikes happening on your route.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)