• May 17th, 2017 10:34 am
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal

Spain + Portugal family trip ...

Hi !
We are fixed on our Spain-Portugal trip. We can still make some changes but what do you think of that plan (keep in my that we are 2 adults traveling with 2 kids of 5 and 9 years old)
- july 12: Flight From Montreal to Barcelona

- July 13 to july 18 (5 nights) : Barcelona

- July 18: rent a car and go to Girona. 4 nights with daytrips (besalu, Costa Brava)

- July 22: Road to Tarragona (1 night)

- July 23 Tarragona and sleep near Barcelona airport

- July 24: Drop car and 10:00 am flight to Porto. 3 nights (Daytrip to Guimaraes).

- July 27: get a car, go to Douro valley (N 222 go to Pinhao, sleep in Quinta santo Antonio)

- July 28: Coimbra, 2 nights, with daytrip to Conimbraga

- July 30. Coimbra to Sao Martinho do Porto with a stop in Tomar. 2 nights in Sao Martinho. We want to enjoy the beach in the late aftrenoon of our arrival, Do a daytrip to Batalha next morning, and beach again in the late afternoon.

- August 1: Drive to Lisbon with a stop in Obidos.Drop the car in Lisbon. We have 5 nights for Lisbon and want to do a daytrip to Sintra.

- August 6: fly back home (Montreal)

Any advices about all this ?
21 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Only that I would have driven from Tarragona to Porto. It is only one long day (8 hrs) driving or gone through Madrid (4 hrs) and stayed overnight and then on to Porto (5 hrs).
Could have saved the to and from airport time at each end and had a vehicle.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
8-9 hours drive ? It seems more to be 11-12 hours.

You also have to take in account the fact that take the car in Spain and drop it into Portugal would cost us around 300 Euro. And we dont need a car In porto. I cant really see the advantageof a 12 hours drive versus 4-5 hours flight (2 hours flight +airport time) . The flight is 250$ for the whole family.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Just one bit of advice: don't forget that there's a one-hour time change between Portugal and Spain. I did, and missed an appointment. :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
tostaky wrote: 8-9 hours drive ? It seems more to be 11-12 hours.

You also have to take in account the fact that take the car in Spain and drop it into Portugal would cost us around 300 Euro. And we dont need a car In porto. I cant really see the advantageof a 12 hours drive versus 4-5 hours flight (2 hours flight +airport time) . The flight is 250$ for the whole family.
Tarragona to Porto https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Tarragon ... 579438!3e0
OK, IAW Google says 9 hs 20 min but I said 8 hrs because you can drive fairly quick. You are willing to drive back to Barcelona and stay overnight so staying mid way is also an option.
You asked for advice and I gave mine. Sorry it was not what you wanted.
Barcelona to Porto for $250 for a family of 4? Gotta be the best deal ever. :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
Every help is appreciated Pete_coach !

I was just explaining why we dont have keep that option.

I,ve just have taken a look at my credit card bill and you were right it was not 250...it was 319$. Still less expensive than the drop car in another country fee.

Anyone else have something to say about my planing ?
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
Portugal, the day trip to Batalha, you can do Batalha and Fatima in the AM and head out to Nazare in the afternoon ( And do Lunch here) to enjoy the beach.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
Thnaks for those ideas. Fatima have zero interest for us since it seems more of pilgrimage, mystic place.

We plan to stay at Sao martinho do Porto for the beach, does the one in Nazare better ?
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
for children, Sao Martinho is better no waves, less busy.

Nazare, there is more to do and the beach is more famous, however, the beach is wavy.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1705 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
do Canadian need International Driving Permit in order to drive in Portugal? I know for Spain it's needed, but wondering about Portugal.

website of government of Canada says :
You must be at least 18 years old to drive a car in Portugal.
You can drive using a Canadian driver’s licence for up to 180 days. An International Driving Permit is recommended.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
Since it's needed in Spain i will buy it. It's not 38$ that will make difference in a 12k trip.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
BeanFinn wrote: no.

the IDP stuff is a money grab
Unless you are stopped by a police officer or other and cannot communicate with them....it is great to have to prove you have a license and your identity verified .
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
tostaky wrote: Since it's needed in Spain i will buy it. It's not 38$ that will make difference in a 12k trip.
We rented a car in Spain 2 years ago and no idp needed.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote: We rented a car in Spain 2 years ago and no idp needed.
Rental agencies don't require it, but the authorities do.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
I worked at CAA and in the summer that I worked we had one guy arrested because the Greece authorities thought it was fake documents...

Sooo it's a hit or miss with them. I would spend he $38 for peace of mind but it is a useless written document
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
BeanFinn wrote: 12k for a trip to Spain and Portugal <- LOL
I think that anyone can do what they want with their money. Travelling is something we really enjoy, you can laugh about it but at the end it's still our money.

26 days in the heart of summer for 4 travellers in Europe....find me something really cheaper than 12 k.

The same lenght trip in Germany and Austria cost us a bit more than 11k last year.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
tostaky wrote: I think that anyone can do what they want with their money. Travelling is something we really enjoy, you can laugh about it but at the end it's still our money.

26 days in the heart of summer for 4 travellers in Europe....find me something really cheaper than 12 k.

The same lenght trip in Germany and Austria cost us a bit more than 11k last year.
i'm with you. when i go on vacation i don't worry about scrimping and not doing stuff i want to do to save a few bucks. the whole point of going somewhere is to enjoy yourself and have good experiences, not worry about every cent. the cost is the cost and if people are that worried about money maybe they shouldn't go on vacation, or at the very least comment on what someone else pays.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
I leave next week to Asia and paid $6000 for three weeks. Hotels and Business class seats (PEK/HKG/ICN/HND/HKT/REP/HAN). Im just amazed people still pay that much for travelling. Especially when TAP had flights for $500 RT in the dead of summer. $248 one way back to Canada.